Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt tension

Views : 3074

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2016, 18:19   #21
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

nah, I don't think you need to worry about that. the solenoid is really an open/close affair that redirects oil depending on a bunch of different factors. If it doesn't work, only your engine performance will suffer (slightly). That is my understanding anyway.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2016, 22:28   #22
Emh936

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
nah, I don't think you need to worry about that. the solenoid is really an open/close affair that redirects oil depending on a bunch of different factors. If it doesn't work, only your engine performance will suffer (slightly). That is my understanding anyway.
Good to know so it is probably just a matter of them getting the timing right since the vvt hub was changed out and the car is runny good, went in with oil leak they changed all the seals and timing belt water pump first time around, still leaked oil they thought it was the solenoid second time they changed it still had leak I suggested from what Have learned on the forum to check the vvt and that was it. No more oil leak but cel now, so very frustrating hope they are quick about getting it right they are Europian mechanic, although I am losing faith in them.

I am now reading on the forums that once you get that p0015 code it is hard to get rid of hopefully not in this case since most likely something to do with the vvt hub being changed out
Emh936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:32   #23
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

If the vvt is new and the solenoid is fine then It is highly likely that your timing is a sliver off.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:24   #24
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post

Yeah if you didn't know you wouldn't notice
but when I started running expensive petrol through my 2.0l I noticed

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2016, 18:36   #25
spudd
Master Member

Well having had my post hijacked thought I would let you know all done today.
Cambelt idler and tensioner,waterpump the one I took off was plastic. auxiliary belt, tensioner , idler. about 2.5 hours. then did all oils and filters. a good day and a fortune spent on a car that's my daughters, joys of being a dad.
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spudd For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2016, 16:20   #26
Emh936

Default My apologies Spudd

I was new to the forum and wasn't sure how to do thing I am fimilar now and am glad your daughters car is back on the road as is my daughters car and I have the joys of being a mother again my apologies for hyjacking your thread.
Emh936 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Emh936 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 19:43   #27
elfranco

Default Slackening and tensioning up the belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
this is one of the easiest belts iv ever done to be honest, I use no locking tools at all.

line the bottom end up with the marks, line the top pulley up with its mark, loosen the tensioner and remove the belt.

refit with no slack on the opposite side to the tensioner, use a screwdriver to lever the tensioner and nip up the nut. experience will tell you how tight to make it, if you can twist the belt a little then you should be grand.

turn her over by hand a few times and line your marks back up, if all good then build back up ?

good luck
Hi. Could you give some instruction on releasing the tensioner and re tightening it? everything else looks fairly simple but that has me stuck. Pic of tensioner attached. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (16.9 KB, 6 views)
elfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 12:35   #28
elfranco

Really helpful thanks. Could you give a bit more info on how to get the tensioner right? Release and retension. It's different to the tensioners with an Allen key hole fitted to the petrol V40s. Don't want to get that bit wrong.
elfranco is offline   Reply With Quote