Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AVOID HEL Brake Hoses - New hoses burst!

Views : 6293

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:14   #71
skyship007
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikewatch View Post
Yeah, but just because there's no need doesn't mean people won't want to do it - the amount of crappy 1 litre Peugeots and Citroëns I see driving round with towing straps and full roll cages is testament to that! A visit to my local McDonald's "drive thru" on any Friday or Saturday night will prove that many people care more about how their car looks than what it needs.

Unfortunately in this case it seems that the aesthetics severely compromise safety .
How dare you insult small car owners!!

My town car is a Renault Twingo 1.2 with 16 valves and a fully tuned up stereo (Non OEM). It goes like Sh1t off a shovel until about 50 kmph IF you redline it (Not that it has an RPM gauge fitted) with the AC off. No need for the AC anyway, as it has a full roll back roof!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 08:25   #72
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
My town car is a Renault Twingo 1.2 with 16 valves and a fully tuned up stereo (Non OEM)
Blimey, how did you get that past your TUV inspector, insurer etc. ;-)
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 12:38   #73
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Why is it so hard to consider the possibility that the product failed due to a manufacturing defect and instead try to blame any other posibility???

Some companies are known to come up with a million excuses in order to avoid honouring their "lifetime" guarantees and will use every card in their sleeve, trying to blame the customer, while defending the precious product.

Only if a couple of people crash and die because those crappy hoses blew up, HEL may get their act together and look into this.

My recommendation is that if you value your life one bit, simply remove this rubbish and fit some good quality rubber break hoses. If you want to race on a track, then by all means try these things at your own risk. I am NEVER EVER putting any braided hoses on my car ever again, no matter what brand they are.
Hi Gatos,
You know me by now and i just speak as it is!

If i don`t make a crisis out of the OP then others will fall into the trap he has fallen into. It is only luck that there have been no casualties so far with others using them.

You know i only buy the actual manufacturers parts and i now only buy Mercedes Benz. Just bought all 4 discs and pads etc. and the discs are not small they are 330mm and the price was only £280....i just will not go down the aftermarket road and so therefore by using the OP or yourself as an example others may not follow in the footsteps of buying inferior parts before it is too late.

I just cannot see the point in buying crappy braided brake hoses you can`t even see them behind the wheels especially the rear so who are these owners kidding trying to impress others with "posh" looking parts that can`t bee seen?????

I know some owners don`t have much of a budget to run a car and have to buy aftermarket but surely these HEL hose are more expensive than Volvo ones?

Anyway i will leave you all to try and sort out which hoses are best at their job?

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 13:16   #74
gatos
Premier Member

lol 960kg. Yes, I know you by now and you know how much I respect your opinion. I was just pointing out that my failure cannot really be attributed to stretching, as this does not happen to the rear of the car.... Unless if we factor in the movement of the shocks!!!!!! lol.

Anyway, with regards to pricing, an aftermarket set of braided ones is actually cheaper than a Volvo set of rubber hoses. But I know that the Volvo hoses will last me for at least another 6-8 years and I will know when they are close to failing by observing the initial minor cracks that occur at the weak spots where the brake hoses bend.

With regard to genuine parts, I also do agree, with the exception of the fromt drop links, in which case, I found that the Meyle HD ones are better built and at nearly a third of the price. I think mine have just passed the 4 year guarantee and they are still going strong with no hint of any play or problems. Everything else should be genuine Volvo if you want it to last

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote