Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear suspension crashing sound

Views : 5468

Replies : 73

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 21:09   #11
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

Maybe it's me, but if you look at the springs, there's difference between left and right. Looks to me as the lower winding broke down....
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 21:14   #12
Alex121
Premier Member

I don't know much about springs and how they're wound but I agree one does look slightly different. I half wondered if the rear shock absorber was bottoming out over the bumps, maybe the arcadias are heavier than the 16's I had before and are giving them issues? Seems a tad unlikely though given the car should be good for them and as said has been fine before the new wheels were fitted.

All four springs are slightly corroded. I was going to order some 30mm drop H&R springs in the next few days but would like to get this sorted first because if it turns out to be the shocks that are giving me issues I might as well spend money on decent coil overs.
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 09:42   #13
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

If your bottom bolt is ceased into the rear shock then youll probably have to cut that out anyway and its a right pig to get to. Im not sure on the availability of replacing that bottom bolt and bush but I just grabbed another rear shock from the scrapyard instead which was far easier and cheaper.

Worth thinking about but personally I'd still go for lowering springs. Coilovers are great on summer cars, track cars and in countries where the roads are dry and none salty but here in the Uk youll spend all that money on them, set them once and then they go rusty so you cant adjust them anyway.

Ive heard all the tricks of keeping the threads working with grease, oil, waxoil, special socks to protect them but it never works. Wheels spinning at 70mph in the wet is like a pressure washer and its blasts it all off.

May as well get lowering springs for the effort and cost. It just means you cant sit amongst the VW boys and talk about tyre stretch and ruined sumps but then we dont want them to think they are popular anyway.

If it aint rubbing then you aint dubbin. No, I bought the right size tyres and fitted the correct suspension. Fools.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 10:57   #14
pigglet

When I fitted winter tyres to my standard 16's on my T4 P1 I got a strange rubbing/crashing grinding noise when going over bumps. It literally only lasted a second. In my case despite having no problems with the previous set of tyres the extra tread depth on the winter hoops was just enough to cause tyre rub. Despite only having covered 64K my springs and shocks were rather tired.
Replacing the afforementioned items cured the issue. Personally I wouldn't bother with lowering springs or coil overs unless you want to chuck a few grand at coilovers and then probably another grand on getting the suspension geometry set up to suit.............
Uprated shocks and standard height springs will improve handling yet maintain comfort.
If you really want to improve the way you car handles fit a sports seat.

Last edited by pigglet; Sep 13th, 2013 at 11:08.
pigglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 14:10   #15
avfcS40

Id put the 16's on the rear again as suggested and see if it makes the same noise.

Another thing it might be is your tyre rubbing against the nut on wheel arch, due the suspension failing, happened on my v40.

Made a loud enough noise which caused me to stop, have a look then scratch my head thinking, what the hell was that.

Just a suggestion
avfcS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 15:24   #16
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

Rubbing against the nut? That will only happen if you put like 205/55R16 tires instead of 205/50R16 (larger than original). I don't think that has anything to do with failing suspension at all... if it fails, the back goes up and down very easily because the absorption ability is less or gone. But that can be checked: check the tire tread for damage... I also don't think different wheels would make a difference regarding the sound.

Last edited by edang; Sep 13th, 2013 at 15:28.
edang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 19:19   #17
Alex121
Premier Member

I thought you would only get rubbing with the wrong tyre size and on a P1?

Given it's a P2 with the correct tyre size and correct suspension set up I shouldn't be having any issues with these wheels.

I'm thinking maybe my springs and shocks are just a bit knackered. It's done 156K now so they could be a bit worn out.

Hasn't been so bad today. Got a knocking on the front too now though so need to check drop links tomorrow lol.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 19:26   #18
edang
Purrin' like a kitten!

You're right, the rubbing issue is a phase 1 thing because of the wheel skirts.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 23:33   #19
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

This might sound a silly question but have you checked the tyre pressures ???

Also the sidewalls on the Arcadia's is a lot smaller than on the 16s therefore a lot stiffer so where as the big doughnuts that are on the 16s would cushion the bumps slightly the 17s are not quite as forgiving therefore any minor wear in suspension parts before has now been highlighted quite significantly

As someone else has already suggested try putting the 16s back on and listen for even the slightest noise

Hope you figure it out or just get a louder stereo :l ala:

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 01:40   #20
Alex121
Premier Member

The tyres are brand new, were fitted by Volvo and filled with nitrogen to the correct pressure so I don't think that's the issue. The ride is certainly a bit harder than the 16's - Still not on par with the 18's with have on our S40 T5 but not far off Going to borrow a ramp down at Volvo tomorrow and have a good look at it all