Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID Upgrade

Views : 3317

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2014, 09:44   #61
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpywurzel View Post
I have read that the high beam can flicker when you flash someone
Correct. Anything fitted with a ballast (like HIDs or fluorescent bulbs) will need to "warm up" and cannot just fire up at full power. Tungsten filament and LED don't need to warm up. So HIDs are fine in DLRs, side lights, and dipped beam as they will stay on for a while, but for full beam, flashing them won't do them any good at all.

Unfortunately LED not quite at the level needed for headlamps intensity, but that day is certainly coming. IKEA have recently turfed out ALL their fluorescent bulbs in favour of shipping probably a billion LED units into everyone's home instead. Once sold, nobody will ever buy another bulb again. LED are better than fluo in every way, and IMO better than incandescent (tungsten) because the colour temp is almost entirely controllable, and you can flash them on and off very easily (but you can't dim LEDs so easily... it's possible, of course, but requires electronic programming, so a straight wire-in upgrade doesn't work).

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 17th, 2014 at 09:47.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 10:03   #62
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

I have HIDs in my full beam and you get one full power flash from them.

It then takes a few minutes for it to build enough charge to do it again (there's a small current constantly fed to the headlights, even when they're off)

Most HIDs flash when you turn them on and dim straight away, then built up to full power (15 seconds from cold, 2-5 seconds from hot)
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:35   #63
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

That is why I don't want HIDs... although good to know they're usable for those who do

On a loosely related hijack note, turns out that Philips CrystalVision 4300K are no longer available (if they ever were, in the UK), DiamondVision 5000K aren't road legal (if the MOT guy notices, of course) but Philips now do a road legal "ColorVision" range now, which includes blue, green, red and pink (!) and I am guessing (edit: incorrectly I think) that the blue one replaces the CrystalVision...? Bit of a shame as I'd just decided to buy some CVs! You can still buy them imported from Japan but no idea if they're knockoffs as they seem to be listed "without packaging" which usually implies non-genuine

Edit: they also do a "Blue Vision Ultra" at 4000K http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/ph...eadlight-bulbs

Edit: CrystalVision apparently not road legal in EU either, that explains why you can't buy them anywhere! http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/crystal-vision-h4

Last edited by baldmosher; Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:40.
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 21:43   #64
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
Do keep your standard sidelight bulbs - I got flagged on my MOT for white LEDs being too blue against the standard headlights.
Me too, on my last test.

Had them in at another test centre, for the two years prior.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 21:49   #65
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Grumpy, instead of HID's, why don't you go for a Phase 2 headlight conversion.

The difference between P1 & P2 headlights, the light output is HUGE!

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 22:03   #66
Alex121
Premier Member

+1 on what Gary suggested.

You won't run into MOT issues either
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex121 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 22:06   #67
Matt86
Premier Member

Edit: Wrong section! lol sorry lads.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 08:58   #68
Grumpywurzel
Gert Navy Bouy

I thought about doing the conversion to Ph2, is the wiring a pain in the posterior or what? Plus getting hold of the headlights, I have asked a few scrappies and they either havent got any or try and book me into the hospital to remove my kidneys.....
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 09:56   #69
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpywurzel View Post
I thought about doing the conversion to Ph2, is the wiring a pain in the posterior or what? Plus getting hold of the headlights, I have asked a few scrappies and they either havent got any or try and book me into the hospital to remove my kidneys.....
Gatos is your man, for things like this.

Gary
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
16 non Volvos.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post: