Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Corona spare time

Views : 4825

Replies : 104

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:36   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Corona spare time

Well seeing as we are basically in lockdown we will all find ourselves with a lot of time on our hands now.

So what have you been doing to stay occupied?

I have emptied the entire garage, sorted through everything and made a massive pile of stuff to go to the tip when it is open again. I have put the 360 back in the garage along with a B230 that's been sat on the drive for months and I now have enough room to fit a small hatchback in the garage still. Much better than having to squeeze past everything.

I've cleared all of the ivy off the kitchen as I have been putting it off since I bought the house! Those roots were deep!

Washed my wife's car as it was disgusting, took the rear lights off to clean behind them properly, yet to tackle the inside with a bin bag to empty it!

Anyone else been making the most of their time stuck at home?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:41   #2
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

That's impressive. It takes me a whole day to get into my garage, let alone do something once I've managed that.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 20:52   #3
zchael6

I got my 98 celebration 940 2.3 auto a few weeks ago. Thanks to forum members advice and help I have managed to change the cam belt, aux belts, done a part change on the transmission fluid, retentioned the boot roller blind thing, changed a wing and wing mirror, taken off the old crankcase breather hoses, and given it a wash. Have ordered new crank breather hoses/box etc which arrive tomorrow with a whole load more goodies including new radiator and coolant hoses. Everyone can expect more panicky posts from me over the coming days as I get busy rounding of nuts and stripping threads trying to work out how to do this “essential preventative maintenance”

Last edited by zchael6; Mar 25th, 2020 at 20:57.
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 21:03   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
That's impressive. It takes me a whole day to get into my garage, let alone do something once I've managed that.
Haha that made me chuckle, I think you need a clean rout then... now is the time to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
I got my 98 celebration 940 2.3 auto a few weeks ago. Thanks to forum members advice and help I have managed to change the cam belt, aux belts, done a part change on the transmission fluid, retentioned the boot roller blind thing, changed a wing and wing mirror, taken off the old crankcase breather hoses, and given it a wash. Have ordered new crank breather hoses/box etc which arrive tomorrow with a whole load more goodies including new radiator and coolant hoses. Everyone can expect more panicky posts from me over the coming days as I get busy rounding of nuts and stripping threads trying to work out how to do this “essential preventative maintenance”
Nice work! Sounds like that 940 has ended up in the right hands, if you are worried about rounded off nuts then these will be your best friend.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-pi...expansion-set/

They have never let me down, just tap them on with a hammer and away you go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 21:11   #5
bob12
bob12

Afraid all I can do is say that I dismantled a kids double swing in the garden ... it was sooo hot this afternoon I had to take a break!

Anybody wants a free kids double swing with seesaw nr. Woking send me a PM. It's only about 5 years old and generally in good condition with virtually no rust just needs a clean and some nuts bolts wire brushed. Bob

Last edited by bob12; Mar 25th, 2020 at 21:30.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 21:24   #6
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Haha that made me chuckle, I think you need a clean rout then... now is the time to do it!

Nice work! Sounds like that 940 has ended up in the right hands, if you are worried about rounded off nuts then these will be your best friend.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-pi...expansion-set/

They have never let me down, just tap them on with a hammer and away you go.
Cheers!! Lots of great encouragement on here. The car was acquired on eBay and the owner had it for the last 22 years. It’s been serviced every year but I think he had started to tail off on the mileage. I’ve managed to introduce a bit of water in the fuel tank I think so will be adding some meths. They are beautiful machines and when we were looking for a new cheapish cars nothing came close
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 21:43   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
Cheers!! Lots of great encouragement on here. The car was acquired on eBay and the owner had it for the last 22 years. It’s been serviced every year but I think he had started to tail off on the mileage. I’ve managed to introduce a bit of water in the fuel tank I think so will be adding some meths. They are beautiful machines and when we were looking for a new cheapish cars nothing came close
Supermarket fuel?

You won't get better for the money, amazing cars and brilliant to drive. If yours is a turbo then you can fit a manual boost controller and really liven it up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 21:58   #8
Forrest
VOC Member

Coronavirus spare time? I work in IT for the NHS!!!
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 23:07   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks to not being in the best of health before the Corona Virus, it still takes me all day to do what i used to do all day and my routine hasn't changed with the lockdown. The only problem so far is lack of certain products in the supermarkets/shops in general such as toilet trolls, dog food, runny honey and a particular washing up liquid.

Did have a minor scare on saturday when i ran low on milk but found a place where i could get enough to last me a few days.

I have managed to take advantage of the nice weather and started painting my shed with used engine oil, now it's dried out a bit all the wood is shrunken and dry - a few weeks ago i couldn't get into the shed because of the door being too swollen!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 06:58   #10
V90Towman

I’m spending more time on this forum when not working and what a great community it is I am sure the numbers will grow during this period of concern. As for the garage I need to give it a good sort out and clean and re paint the floor. However I am trying to re polish my wife’s VW UP wheels the mirror sort as they have discoloured the clear coat has discoloured. It’s a tough job sanding the metal from course to fine. Bought a drill attachment set from amazon that is easy to use. And a polishing finishing set too, but the problem I’m getting is a sort of shadow on the wheel that I can’t completely blend in, it’s almost 90% there. The cost to do this professionally is 300 per wheel I. Have spent 20 quid so far and some elbow grease very satisfying too. My son who can’t visit the gym got me to join him in renovating a rusty old barbell, which I wire brushed clean with a drill wire brush attachment and two coats Hammerite black I use on my gates. It made the bar as good as new and black looks great.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V90Towman For This Useful Post: