Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil grade/spec

Views : 1244

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 13:19   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
That's great value.
Ridiculous value, more like!

Mrs BF not overly impressed when I told her I'd bought her 20 litres of oil, for some reason...
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 13:22   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Ridiculous value, more like!

Mrs BF not overly impressed when I told her I'd bought her 20 litres of oil, for some reason...
She'll be a mechanic in no time.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 18:10   #13
Bomster

Quote:
Raise (or lower!) you this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUKOil-GE...Cclp%3A2334524
I have it in the XC70 at the moment. All fine - it's a huge Russian operator.
Incredible it's so cheap!

I'm about to do my first service on my XC70, and considering this, but I must say I'm a bit worried using an 'unknown brand' like this.

It's £2.75/L, vs all the other commonly known/established brands being more like £8.50/L if not more.... surely that's a bit of a 'too good to be true' situation?
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 18:15   #14
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
Incredible it's so cheap!

I'm about to do my first service on my XC70, and considering this, but I must say I'm a bit worried using an 'unknown brand' like this.

It's £2.75/L, vs all the other good brands being more like £8.50/L if not more.... surely that's a bit of a 'too good to be true' situation?
I agree - I wouldn't buy it

...except I did, as did many others when National Tyres had Luk as their oil supplier for a couple of years (now moved to Valvoline, incidentally).

We've done c10K miles on this oil, and all's fine as far as I can determine - no smoking, no oil usage, no untoward noises (well, beyond normal D5 bag-of-spanners, anyway )

Big player: https://www.lukoil.com/

Pays your money and all that - I'm happy, and will be using it in the C70 T5, too.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 20:33   #15
Bomster

Quote:
I agree - I wouldn't buy it

...except I did, as did many others when National Tyres had Luk as their oil supplier for a couple of years (now moved to Valvoline, incidentally).

We've done c10K miles on this oil, and all's fine as far as I can determine - no smoking, no oil usage, no untoward noises (well, beyond normal D5 bag-of-spanners, anyway )

Big player: https://www.lukoil.com/

Pays your money and all that - I'm happy, and will be using it in the C70 T5, too.
You're certainly persuading me! Did it arrive all okay from this eBay seller 'onlinelubricants'? All sealed etc?

I still can't get my head round how it can be less then a third of the price vs the 'name' brands!
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 20:38   #16
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
You're certainly persuading me! Did it arrive all okay from this eBay seller 'onlinelubricants'? All sealed etc?

I still can't get my head round how it can be less then a third of the price vs the 'name' brands!
Be here tomorrow, will report back
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 00:28   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Is there any correlation between the "LUK" oil & the clutch brand called "LUK"?

If so, they're definitely big players.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 10:23   #18
Bomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Is there any correlation between the "LUK" oil & the clutch brand called "LUK"?

If so, they're definitely big players.
From a quick Google, they are different companies. LuK are a German company owned by Schaeffler, whereas LUKOil is a Russian company (the second biggest company in Russia apparently!).

Also I think I'm gonna bottle it and go with the Shell Helix Ultra. Have done a fair bit of reading on this in the last 24 hours, this post most notably swung my decision: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51594
"5) What are (or can be) the main differences between oils of the same type, i.e. what's the difference between a 'good' and a 'bad' oil?

It all comes down to honesty really.....so beware! A good oil is what it claims to be on the can. 10W/40? Does it really pass the cold test at -25C? Quite a few I've tested do not. There is usually an API spec quoted, such as API SH or SL. These are car-based, and a good basic quality guide. If absent, leave it on the shelf, and avoid lawyer-speak:
'meets the requirements of....' or 'recommended (by whom?) for use in....'."
The last line was interesting, I noticed quite a few of the manufacturers, including Comma for example state 'meets the requirements', vs Shell who just state the oil is certified to A5/B5.

Maybe I'm just a marketer's dream (also aware that article above is from Opie who could be somewhat bias on this topic) but gonna go with my gut on this one and stick with one of the more well known brands.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 15:35   #19
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

It just arrived via DHL.

Sealed drum, all fine, I'm very happy, especially as I've used (am using) this oil previously

Blimey Bomster, you set up an account on Bob the Oil Guy to query it there, too - that's dedication

Last edited by Bonefishblues; Jan 5th, 2021 at 15:55.
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 16:17   #20
Bomster

Quote:
It just arrived via DHL.

Sealed drum, all fine, I'm very happy, especially as I've used (am using) this oil previously

Blimey Bomster, you set up an account on Bob the Oil Guy to query it there, too - that's dedication
Glad to hear it turned up and is looking good.

Haha great detective work... well yeah I plan to keep this car 'forever' (mainly to free up funds for track toys, fun cars etc, but also what more could you ever need from a daily, these XC70's do it all!), so I thought I'd do as much research now, writing my own notes on how to physically do the work etc, so when it comes to servicing it over the years I can do it myself, and in the confidence I'm performing it well and with the right parts.

I saw a few people talking about this BobIsTheOilGuy forum so thought I'd see what they had to say, as the LUKOil is hugely cheaper so if they all came back with a resounding yes then I'd have gone with it.

Thread in case anyone fancies a gander: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th...-cheap.336074/