Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

very poor windscreen demist

Views : 12689

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 19:32   #21
Volvon
Master Member

Depends what model I think, mine doesn't and its a 98 model. If you have rain/sleet/snow on the vents infront of the windscreen this stuff gets sucked in and mists the windscreen up like crazy, so make sure when brushing snow/de-icing car that you clean this area well.

To stop moisture building up inside the car I have a bag of silicon dessicant I put on the dash over night, my moisture problem is drastically reduced (even though it is -23 now there is still moisture, only its frozen and I used to have to scrape the inside of the car windows aswell as the out.). Not the tiny bags you get with a pair of shoes, you need a good size bag like you'd get when you order somthing electrical.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2011, 21:25   #22
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Default found my problems

Hardly any air comes up through the dash blowers. Figure the flap mechanism is broke. Hardly any through the floor blowers either so that might be kaput.

But bigger worry is the water leaking into the footwell... off topic methinks
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 20:28   #23
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Default Righty-ho, time for a guide

Thought I'd make a guide for changing the cabin air filter, since I've just done it, didn't hurt to take some photos as I went along. It's a laughably easy job to change the filter, and saves a little bit of labour cost at service. As a non-mechanically minded type, I'm always slightly fearful of doing anything in my car without seeing a series of pictures and words first, so here you go:

http://baldywritten.blogspot.com/201...ir-filter.html

And, lo and behold, it's solved my windscreen blowers problem! Now blows lots of air up the windscreen, which it wasn't doing before, to the extent that I figured the flap was broken. If you see the photos of the one I took out, you'll understand why there wasn't any throughput.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 20:27   #24
S40 Volvo
Premier Member

Hi all,

Sorry for bringing this topic up again.

I've noticed that my car has been taking around 5-10 minutes now with the cold weather to demist the front windscreen, -is this acceptable?

The cabin filter was changed in September 2012, I've done 5,000 miles since then, should I take it out and have a look at what's happening?

Cheers!
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 21:57   #25
EastbourneChris
www.chrisriccio.co.uk

Mine demists in about 20 seconds in auto mode, you can literally see it move up the screen
EastbourneChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 21:59   #26
Dog_Book
Idiot

My stupid vectra does this takes ages to warm up had a new thermostat. Been blasting hot air to the feet incase water has gotten in as scuttle drains were blocked a few weeks ago but volvo a don't have them
It has been getting better, water can drop onto a part of loom and wick into the cabin from the fabric around the loom not sure if Volvos have anything similar down there.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 22:07   #27
liberate
I've Been Banned

my demist is super rapid when on auto, changed cabin filter a few weeks back, not sure if that's helped.
liberate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 22:31   #28
S40 Volvo
Premier Member

Is there anything I should be doing? Or more like is there anything I can do to improve this issue?
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 23:09   #29
v40alex
I do like a V40

Take the filter out temporarily and see if it makes a difference, that way you know if it's the filter or not. I would suspect not going on what you've said. How strong are your blowers without the filter? And do you have aircon? Guessing yes if it's an SE, if so, is the aircon working?
v40alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 23:14   #30
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40 Volvo View Post
Is there anything I should be doing? Or more like is there anything I can do to improve this issue?
Assuming you have it on windscreen only, AC is working, and fans on full blast...

1. Do you have air coming out from around the dash centre console vents even when they're off? If so, remove dash and refit air flow ducts. PITA. I have this issue. Hardly any air flows up the windscreen.

2. Does it demist as soon as the temp gauge rises to warm? If so, nothing you can do to improve that apart from ragging it in low gears to warm the engine up faster!
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post: