Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

very poor windscreen demist

Views : 12691

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 06:25   #61
mjb73

Mines alot better since I had the aircon serviced and cleaned. I was told if you have all of bacteria in the air on system that it raises the moisture content of the air. I change the see filters yearly.
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 12:31   #62
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Interesting, this link (naturally, touting for business) reckons you should get it serviced and topped up every 2 years?

http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

Halfords seems to agree (naturally)

However I doubt mine has been done for the last 10 years.... it goes quite cold in summer although not freezing.... are they talking rubbish?
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 12:41   #63
stephend
Premier Member

Popped into Volvo this morning to enquire about seals. Turns out they're not listed on their system: seems like the seal is an integral part of the plastic housing. So it looks like I shall have to improvise something - baldmosher, I think you mentioned you got some foam strip from Wilco?

ps I know the air-con works ok on mine, because it pumps out icy-cold air... just not always when you want it to (and sometimes when you don't!)
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 12:47   #64
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

I thought about using duct tape around it, but Gatos advised that wouldn't work (can't remember why, probably as you can't get access to it properly)

Gatos is probably the best person to ask about that -- he's done a few dash out jobs -- I never got my dash out, I sold the car and bought another one without the problem (for now!)

I think he used some kind of robust foam sealant stuff that's better than the stuff I was suggesting from Wilko, although they do a few different types.

The main issue is going to be buying a good one and making sure it stays stuck in place for the next 5 years -- clean up the plastic surface with meths or isopropyl alcohol before you start sticking it on.

Someone else has used screws through the dash to physically fix the vents into place... a bit drastic!
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 12:59   #65
stephend
Premier Member

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I wondered about duct tape, but I'd be a bit worried about the heat, as I think the air can get quite hot when it's on full blast.
Old Sep 24th, 2014, 08:44   #66
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Interesting, this link (naturally, touting for business) reckons you should get it serviced and topped up every 2 years?

http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

Halfords seems to agree (naturally)

However I doubt mine has been done for the last 10 years.... it goes quite cold in summer although not freezing.... are they talking rubbish?
Modern AC systems do not require any servicing in my opinion, the old ones sure did.

Just make sure the AC is used at least every month (Same rule as an engine) to keep the pump seals lubricated and change the cabin air filter every year.

If it does not get cold enough, try getting it topped up and checked. If it fails again, then something is kaput. Most likely some kind of leak or a pump failure.

It might be worth doing every 10 years, BUT I would be real careful about who does it and what they are using. If they do something wrong or use poor quality contaminated gas, it could cause real trouble.

Kwick fAir Conditioning Recharge
An estimated 10% of Air-Con gas permeates from the system every year.
Air-Con systems need recharging with gas & lubricant every 2 years.
Air-Con recharge service available from over 600 centres in the UK.
No appointment normally necessary- service operated on a drive-in basis.
Cooler air-conditioning or your money back guarantee art are talking legal English:

My estimate is only 2 or 3% for a V40 classic (Might be higher for newer cars, or cars older than 20 years).
No service is required according to Volvo, although I don't have a copy of their software to check for updates.
1 degree C is not much of a guarantee.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 24th, 2014 at 09:17.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 18:06   #67
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Airflow to my windscreen is crap.

Reckon the duct has separated as per boldmoshers post.

Demist is okay once a little heat is available from the engine but I reckon it could be a lot better.

I'm not planning to have the dash out any time soon.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 09:27   #68
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Exactly... I ended up selling the car before I did it. Wish I'd just done it though, as new car probably needs dash out for another reason, could have done with the practice.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 23:22   #69
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldmosher View Post
Exactly... I ended up selling the car before I did it.
Likewise!