Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 engine maanagement light

Views : 451

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 12:07   #1
Volvo V40 man

Default S40 engine maanagement light

I have S40 sports classic 2.0l with 83k on clock, did 240 miles yesterday and when I arrived home the engine management light came on and now I have no drive. can select the gears but no movement when the clutch is lifted
Volvo V40 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 12:17   #2
martin93

Hello

It sounds to me like two problems which may or may not be linked. If you've got no drive when the clutch is lifted in gear, then the clutch is almost certainly toast. Either that or a driveshaft is broken, but this is unlikely.

The engine light could be anything, so you would need to have the codes read. However it's a coincidence this has happened at the same time, it could possibly be that a piece of broken clutch plate has been thrown off and taken out the crank position sensor. I've known this to happen to a Peugeot before.

Martin
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 12:28   #3
Volvo V40 man

thanks Martin93.
I parked the car up and unloaded luggage, then went to park properly and then that's when the eng management light came on and wouldn't let me move the car.
with about 85 miles left to do of my journey I noticed a tappet sound. (don't know if this is related)
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 12:36   #4
Volvo V40 man

sorry martin93 i'm new to forum and still trying to figure it out
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 15:33   #5
martin93

That's ok! Let me get this right though. So when you put the car in first with the clutch down, then bring the clutch up, the car doesn't move but the engine keeps running? Is that what's happening? Or has the engine got so little power now the engine stalls when you try to move off?

Martin
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 16:34   #6
Volvo V40 man

yes u have it right. engine still ticks over but no motion
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 19:19   #7
martin93

I'm afraid it sounds like clutch then. The engine electronics wouldn't prevent you from moving the car as it's not that sophisticated. The tappy noise you heard may have been something breaking up, and then as you went to slip the clutch while manoeuvring, it finally let go. It's a Garage job I'm afraid. And then they can read the fault codes to determine the cause of the engine light as well. As I said, my bet is the clutch has failed spectacularly, something's been flown off and damaged one of the sensors causing the engine light to come on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 19:55   #8
Volvo V40 man

Turns out wen i got home the tappet noise I heard was obviously due to oil level being low. Left car to cool last night. Went to work today came home and checked oil 1st thing.now the 9nly reason 8 can thinkof is engine management system was alerted and stopped the car from moving disengaging drive altogether cos I had to put 1&3/4ltrs 9f oil in to take level upto max. Then tappets quietened down and engineering management system light went off and car is now drivable in gears.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 19:58   #9
Volvo V40 man

The car has burnt a lot of oil in last 3 day trip. This is now what i need to solve.thanks for ur advise. I suppose it's one for the book about eng man systems
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 23:43   #10
martin93

They do like oil these things! I'm pleased it's working for now. However there is no oil level sensor on these cars, just an oil pressure sensor which would bring on the red oil can light. And there is absolutely no way the engine management system can disengage drive. The clutch and gears are all mechanical systems, not electronic. The clutch pedal is directly connected (via hydraulics) to the clutch release bearing with no electronic intervention. If your car was an automatic then yes, I wouldn't doubt there was some electronic wizardry going on.

As I said, I'm pleased all is well for now, but just be on your guard. I take it your car is a pre-2004 model?

Tags
engine management light, s40