Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V40 1.9D Oil Leak

Views : 987

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 16:50   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question 2004 V40 1.9D Oil Leak

Hello all.

I'm writing this today, because of something i have found on my particular V40. Yes, it's an oil leak. It's doesn't SEEM major, ie, no noticeable loss of oil being read on the dipstick, but it has left an oily film around a few parts towards the rear of the engine. It seems to be coming from the "Shut off throttle". Never heard of them before, but i saw it on another thread and thought that's what it could be.

Now, an oil leak has been on the MOT history since it's first MOT back in 2007, and has periodically appeared then disappeared ever since. Same leak? Who knows. I'm not surprised that it's showed up on the MOT, because it has seemed to have dripped down the back of the engine and left the car with a damp/wet under tray.

Images listed below. Sorry for the Imgur link; I'm not fimiliar enough with how this forum's posting system works yet as regards images.

http://imgur.com/gallery/WPvgPjb

I'm also wondering whether whatever that is could be responsible for the slightly erratic idle it has, ie, in colder temperatures (even at something like 15°C) it'll not settle at its idle RPM, dipping a bit below it repeatedly until it warms up. No where nearing stalling. Or would that be something EGR related? As I don't know when that was last, if ever, cleaned out.

I have just put in a half bottle of Redex Diesel fuel additive, to help clean things up. I'll put in the other half when i fuel up next. Don't know whether that'll change anything? We'll have to wait and see.

I read on another thread about the shut off valve, that one user had it explode while running, don't know whether that's something that can happen if left in it's current state, but i doubt it. After nearly 177,000 miles, something would have happened already, right?

Anyway, thanks for reading! Hope i can work this one out and find out how to fix it!
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 11:53   #2
aldred309uk

You can purchase the o ring from either Volvo or renault, it's cheaper at Renault. Here's the guide for your problem.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114946
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:08   #3
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
You can purchase the o ring from either Volvo or renault, it's cheaper at Renault. Here's the guide for your problem.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=114946
Oh okay, that looks dead easy! So it's something so simple as a gasket/o ring. Huh.

A friend of mine has lent me some brake cleaner and advised that i spray off all where the oil is, then drive it for ten miles, stop and check it, and do that until i find the source of the leak. Looks like that's my evening sorted.

Does the gasket have specific name? I'm just thinking for if i have to order one from either Volvo or Renault
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:13   #4
aldred309uk

The PCV system vents excess pressure in the crank case back into the air inlet for the engine, oil goes with it and that's how the oil has found itself there. The rubber o ring shrinks with age and now it fails to seal properly. And because there's high pressure air there just before the inlet manifold some of the oil gets forced out once the seal is poor. It was one of the issues I found myself sorting not long after getting mine a few years ago on about 130k. I'm not around 193k with regular 5k oil changes and new filter. Excessive but cheaper than other things.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:16   #5
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
The PCV system vents excess pressure in the crank case back into the air inlet for the engine, oil goes with it and that's how the oil has found itself there. The rubber o ring shrinks with age and now it fails to seal properly. And because there's high pressure air there just before the inlet manifold some of the oil gets forced out once the seal is poor. It was one of the issues I found myself sorting not long after getting mine a few years ago on about 130k. I'm not around 193k with regular 5k oil changes and new filter. Excessive but cheaper than other things.
Ahhhhhhh okay. Seems like something simple and easy to fix. At least i know what it is now! I wondered if it was something EGR related, but PCV makes me sense. Thanks for the help, I'll be looking into fixing it soon.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:17   #6
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Forgot to add, long do they last? As in the seal itself. Because my car has had an oil leak since it's first MOT back in '07 when it was only 3 years old, so I'm guessing that they don't last all that long? Given that the back of the engine and under tray has a decent bit of gunky oily deposits all over it
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 14:50   #7
aldred309uk

I think they last quite a while, I haven't had any issues since sorting mine out.

Tags
egr, idle speed, oil leak, s40 1.9d, v40 1.9td