Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V40 1.9D Brake discs & pads

Views : 581

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 17:37   #1
Dirty Diesel

Question 2004 V40 1.9D Brake discs & pads

Hey guys.

I'm coming to you all for a bit of advice. My V40's rear brakes are in need of replacing, or will be shortly. I'm debating whether to get OEM discs and pads or not.

Thing is, i want something that's low dust. I have read online about people using EBC low dust rated discs and pads. I want to have something that'll give me the stopping power that OEM brakes will (something better will suffice too), but give me less brake dust, as I don't have a lot of time to keep cleaning the car.

The previous owner had the 16" Galatica wheels refurbished from standard silver to Graphite Grey. They don't have any damage, and i wanna keep it that way. I want the best for my car, in every aspect.

Hence why I'm wanting some good quality brakes, not just some cheap brakes that won't last or give me the stopping power. So have you guys any recommendations for low dust discs and pads that'll fit an '04 V40? I'd like some front brakes too, but they're still OEM in good condition, so I'll do them at a later date.

Thank you all for reading. Hope to find some good quality suggestions! Have a good day.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 18:00   #2
m0eeb

Default 2004 V40 1.9D Brake discs & pads

I have a S40 and use Mintex discs and pads and never had a problem with dust or quality of braking and always found them good value for money, I suppose at the end of the day it's personnel choice.
m0eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 18:05   #3
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0eeb View Post
I suppose at the end of the day it's personnel choice.
I understand where you're coming from. As for me, i just need some advice from people right now. Don't need something super powerful, but that'll stop me when i need to step on the anchors.

Mintex, never heard of that company before. You had good dealings with their discs and pads then i see.
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 22:52   #4
flyingtech55

I use Pagid discs and pads which I buy from EuroCarParts. I find them to be entirely satisfactory. Can't really comment about brake dust; it's a car and it gets washed as and when it requires it. Since the banning of asbestos in friction materials, black brake dust is pretty well a fact of life.

HTH

TimR
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 05:09   #5
happy diver
Active Member Moment

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 11:49   #6
aldred309uk

I just use Delphi brakes and get them for a good price at BBC in Blackburn, they don't seem to be overly dusty but I don't really pay attention to that. Funny thing I found was my emergency braking stopping distance increased when I went from Goodyear efficient grip performance tyres to Michelin cross climate on the front axle.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 20:16   #7
V40T4R

I'm using Zimmermann brake pads and rotors...good value for money

Tags
brake replacment, front brakes, rear brakes, s40 '00, v40 1.9td