Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thanks volvotuning\HLM

Views : 1328

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:27   #1
bobcat
Premier Member

Just thought i would share my experiences on getting hold of some ferodo ds2500's for my 850R.

Originally started with getting a quote from volvotuning, then left it for a while as i wasnt in a rush to get them. Then i pm'ed a tuner from this site and asked for a quote and didnt get a reply so i left it at that as i kenw they were more expensive than vt.I also rang up another tuner and asked for a quote, spoke to a very helpful member of staff that took all my details and said would call me back the next day which they didnt.

by now im asking myself why was it so hard to get these pads. I then found a company that was a supplier for ferodo and could get any pad they make, gave him my car details and he said that the rears were in stock but the front were out of the country. The price (inc vat and p&p) he quoted beat vt by about £2(two pounds) which considering how many pads this company must sell as it supplies rally cars and virtually all on-road perf cars shows that vt's price is one of the best.

So i decided to give vt a call again! and spoke to hamish who confirmed that the fronts were out of the country. he said he would find out when he could get hold of them and call me back. true to his word he called me back and said he had the first batch from the factory coming direct to him, and he would have them to me by mid week. well that was last week and true to his word i have a front and rear set of ds2500's sitting on my desk this morning.

sorry if that was a bit long, but I found vt's customer excellent and it put the rest to shame.

Thanks hamish and adam, i can now look forward to a car that stops properly.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:43   #2
stu850t5r

Hi Bobcat

It wasnt me who you contacted as i have them in stock and you could have had them for next day delivery. My website should also be able to do the same as all parts are shipped directly from the suppliers.

Front pads £81.13 allin
Rear pads £45.17 allin
Postage would be £5 max for both sets.

Hope this helps for next time.

Ps I also have mintex,lucas,genuine and police spec pads in stock for all 1993 onwards turbo cars.

Thanks stuart
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:16   #3
bobcat
Premier Member

>Hi Bobcat
>
>It wasnt me who you contacted as i have them in stock and you
>could have had them for next day delivery. My website should
>also be able to do the same as all parts are shipped directly
>from the suppliers.
>
>Front pads ?81.13 allin
>Rear pads ?45.17 allin
>Postage would be ?5 max for both sets.
>
>Hope this helps for next time.
>
>Ps I also have mintex,lucas,genuine and police spec pads in
>stock for all 1993 onwards turbo cars.
>
>Thanks stuart

Hi stuart,

yeah i did ring your company and the bloke i spoke to said he would have a look with your supplier to see whether they can get the ds2500. he didnt say that you had them in stock as i would have got them if the price was right.

you site only lists the ds performance pads for the 850 and lists only the fronts. I was told that your online shop is the same as motorsportworld which is confirmed by the fact that they list the same items as you and when you click rear pads for the 850 (ds performance) you get a blank page which happens on your site.

when i spoke to motorsport they said they could only get what was on the site, i thought this was bull as i had rung before and was given prices from the ferodo catalogue.

your site also dosent list the ds2500's for the 850's at all.

In the end it was just so much easy to go to vt, but i will bare in mind that you can get hold of them aswell stuart.

Thanks.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:30   #4
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: DS material.

Good day Matt,

An apology is, I suspect, due from me as I very seldom check this Forum's PM's. I am however as keen as possible in answering messages to my email address. To be frank I have never thought that an enquiry would come from a PM.

On the 'DS' front, there may be some confusion over just what is being offered and at what prices. Ferrodo make DS 2500 and DS3000 pads in Italy for competition use. The part nos are FCP1285H (DS2500) at £114.56 and FCP1285R (DS3000) at £92.85. These prices are their declared retail prices, VAT must be added. Delivery is usually arround £10, but I do not charge delivery on these prices.

There are also Ferodo DS Performance pads available, part no FDS 1285 at £76.72 plus VAT. These are just a fast road pad, similar to EBC Redstuff or similar. EU directive compliant pads for road use must not vary by more than 15% from that of a Manufacturer's offering.

The DS materials are something very different and not intended generally for road use, indeed they are not legal to fit on cars registered after 1st.January 1999 that otherwise have manufacturer's spec. brakes. The EU directive(s) is clear on this and defines compliance by both material and pad shape. The directive appears to allow the fitting of non compliant friction materials where other modifications have been made such as the fitting of drilled or grooved discs.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 14:59   #5
stu850t5r

Hi Bobcat

I am very sorry you were misinformed by a member of my staff and i hope in future you may try again.
Please request to speak directly to me and tell the staff who you are
if you call and i will be more than happy to help.

Ps Do you know who you spoke to as i have over 15 people onsite and i cannot track the call.

Thanks Stuart
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 15:33   #6
bobcat
Premier Member

>Good day Matt,
>
>An apology is, I suspect, due from me as I very seldom check
>this Forum's PM's. I am however as keen as possible in
>answering messages to my email address. To be frank I have
>never thought that an enquiry would come from a PM.
>
>On the 'DS' front, there may be some confusion over just what
>is being offered and at what prices. Ferrodo make DS 2500 and
>DS3000 pads in Italy for competition use. The part nos are
>FCP1285H (DS2500) at ?114.56 and FCP1285R (DS3000) at ?92.85.
>These prices are their declared retail prices, VAT must be
>added. Delivery is usually arround ?10, but I do not charge
>delivery on these prices.
>
>There are also Ferodo DS Performance pads available, part no
>FDS 1285 at ?76.72 plus VAT. These are just a fast road pad,
>similar to EBC Redstuff or similar. EU directive compliant
>pads for road use must not vary by more than 15% from that of
>a Manufacturer's offering.
>
>The DS materials are something very different and not intended
>generally for road use, indeed they are not legal to fit on
>cars registered after 1st.January 1999 that otherwise have
>manufacturer's spec. brakes. The EU directive(s) is clear on
>this and defines compliance by both material and pad shape.
>The directive appears to allow the fitting of non compliant
>friction materials where other modifications have been made
>such as the fitting of drilled or grooved discs.
>
>
>Don.Norchi.
>
>
>www.kalmar-union.com
>
>TME engineered software UK distributor.

Hi Don,

No worries with the missed pm.

When i spoke the ferodo supplier i mentioned above, he basically confirmed what you've said about the ds range. I was tempted to go with the ds performance pads as they were alot cheaper and i could have got hold of them quicker. But the bloke i spoke to said about the ds2500 and 3000 being made in a different factory all together and that comparing the ds performance to the ds2500 was like comparing apples to oranges. so in the end i went with the ds2500 as its better to buy better than wish you had gone for them further down the line. Dont get me wrong im sure the ds performance are very good, .42 coeff @ upto ~600c compared with the .5 coeff of the ds2500 to a slighly higher temp.

Once ive got them settled in (im off all next week so gonna do some nice driving to temper the discs and bed the pads) i will post my thoughts on them plus the ss brake lines\ate superblue brake fluid and 302mm front discs as not many people on voc seem to upgrading their brakes (unless they are keeping quiet). And to slighly echo simon linton, the stock 850r brakes are not really upto the job on a stock 850r let alone a chipped 850. and as my 850r is an auto its even harder on the brakes than a manual.the police fit the 302's and the mintex 1144 compounds to overcome the problems with the stock 280mm setup.

thanks.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 15:35   #7
bobcat
Premier Member

>Hi Bobcat
>
>I am very sorry you were misinformed by a member of my staff
>and i hope in future you may try again.
>Please request to speak directly to me and tell the staff who
>you are
>if you call and i will be more than happy to help.
>
>Ps Do you know who you spoke to as i have over 15 people
>onsite and i cannot track the call.
>
>Thanks Stuart

no worries stuart,

next time i will ask to speak direct to you. Im not sure who i spoke to but he was very helpful and took all my details, he even called me back to take my reg to ensure i good the right pads. Unfortunately he never called back with the prices so i left it at that.

Thanks.
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 18:00   #8
don kalmar union
Trader

Where you have to be carefull is that the larger 302mm discs are only marginally better than the smaller ones in that you can still buckle them with repeated heavy braking.

Your plan to temper them is also correct in that such a process does help to swap material from pad onto disc which helps in not generating quite so much heat. A lot of people unjustifiably complain at the fact that slightly larger brakes have done pretty much what they have experienced in the past because they have not paid attention to this bedding/tempering.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 18:24   #9
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

> Dont get me wrong im sure the ds performance are very
>good, .42 coeff @ upto ~600c compared with the .5 coeff of the
>ds2500 to a slighly higher temp.

Hi Bobcat,

Stuart also recently made a very good point when I sought his advice on upgrading the brakes on my cars and its to do with the brake fluid. There is little point in having a brake pad which is stable up to 600 deg C if the brake fluid cannot stand up to that kind of heat, and I think there are very few on the market that can remain stable at those sorts of temperatures. However, I think the largest factor in the equation is your driving style. I have heard horror stories of brake fade from some whilst others who drive exactly the same spec of car hardly experience it.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 19:56   #10
bobcat
Premier Member

all good points guys,

Im doing a complete brake job which consists of the following:

302mm front disc conversion
new std rear discs
ferodo ds2500 pads front and rear
goodridge ss brake hoses
ate super blue brake fluid (exceeds dot 5.1 std)
new hand brake shoes

using a motive power bleeder.

Ive also painted the disc hats to stop them rusting and looking ugly as i can be having that! :-)

looking at the 302mm's compared to the 280's it seems volvo have used the extra 11mm in radius to increase the size of the hat (for better strength im guessing) and and widen the channel for air to flow down the side of the hat and through the veins in the disc to remove heat. the 302mm's certainly look a better design and are not just a scaled up version of the 280's.

another function of tempering in to allow the disc to harden (blue tinge). when you heat metal and then cool it the metal will deform slightly, the faster and more extreme this cycle is the worst the deformation. so with new discs its best to slowly heat cycle them. there will come a point when the molecular settles and will no longer deform further.Thats a simple example but this does work and this is why you can buy baked brake dics that have had this done in an oven.

a good way to temper the discs is to get on a quiet dual carridge way etc, and lightly brake losing 30mph and then get back up to a steady speed. Then repeat. This will slowly cycle the disc and allow the structure to settle.

another good point about the ds2500 is they have a thermal layer that keeps the heat in the pad and stops it reaching the caliper/fluid.

Thanks.

SW Auto's Ebay Shop