Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems with XC90 delivery in the UK

Views : 4404

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 19:56   #1
alchemyuk

Default Problems with XC90 delivery in the UK

For those of you outside the UK this situation may seem unbelievably.

In May of this year I order a XC90 from a Volvo dealer over the Internet. They quoted an “anticipated” delivery of October 2003. This delivery date has since been put back to April 2004. The dealer claims that this is out of their control and 100% due to the actions of Volvo UK. They have offered to cancel the order and refund my deposit if I so wished.

Now I still want the car and I am willing to wait. However, I feel that I should receive compensation of some sort for this delay. After all 6 months is a big difference, if it was 6 weeks I would not even think twice about it. I am quite flexible on what form the compensation could take. Surely Volvo can figure out delivery dates a little better than this.

On Wednesday I wrote a letter of complaint to the Managing Director of the Volvo dealership. The branch manager kindly telephoned me today. He refused to offer any compensation. He said they were sorry for the delay but they were unable to do anything.

He explained this was a popular car and demand was high. He asked if I was happy about that. Well that information was old news and did not cause me to rethink my position.

He then shocked me. He said that the contract that I had signed allowed the dealer to pull out of the deal altogether for any reason they wished. He stated that he had an obligation to the shareholders of the dealership to get the best deal he could and that rather than sell the car to an “unhappy” customer he would rather pull out of the deal altogether (he actually said this three times to me!)

He then stated that market conditions were such that he could realise more money by selling the car to someone else than me because prices have risen since we struck the deal. He actually said that if he had my car today he could get GBP 6,000 over list price for it. (Added to which if I go to another dealer in the UK the current waiting list is 12 months.) He told me (nicely) he does not want to hear any more complaints from me.

I asked for a name of someone at Volvo to complain to and he refused to supply these details stating that Volvo would just hand back the complaint to the franchise dealer to deal with and that writing to them would be a waste of my time.

Does anyone else think this is blackmail? Or am I being a little hot headed.

I welcome your comments.

Regards
Andy
alchemyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 20:40   #2
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Default RE: Problems with XC90 delivery in the UK

Hi Andy,

seems to be a bit of weird logik in there, he would rather pull out than sell to an unhappy customer (as if thats going to cheer you up once he's done that?).

it does sound as though he's got you by the short & curlys
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 21:02   #3
George Holmer

They can f**k o** if you ask me, unbelivable! How dare they, I knew I hated dealers but... I am lost for words, lost for it, completely.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 150k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 21:42   #4
slender

>He then shocked me. He said that the contract that I had
>signed allowed the dealer to pull out of the deal altogether
>for any reason they wished. He stated that he had an
>obligation to the shareholders of the dealership to get the
>best deal he could and that rather than sell the car to an
>“unhappy” customer he would rather pull out of the deal
>altogether (he actually said this three times to me!)

It may be worth getting the contract checked by a solicitor. It does sound like someone is looking to fill a filled order slot with someone else prepared to pay more than current list price.

>
>He then stated that market conditions were such that he could
>realise more money by selling the car to someone else than me
>because prices have risen since we struck the deal. He
>actually said that if he had my car today he could get GBP
>6,000 over list price for it.

This is true. My local dealership cannot get hold of enough XC90's to sell to people more than prepared to pay well over the list price.

(Added to which if I go to
>another dealer in the UK the current waiting list is 12
>months.) He told me (nicely) he does not want to hear any more
>complaints from me.

Is this a veiled threat? Is the rug going to be pulled from under you at the 11th hour - again?

>I asked for a name of someone at Volvo to complain to and he
>refused to supply these details stating that Volvo would just
>hand back the complaint to the franchise dealer to deal with
>and that writing to them would be a waste of my time.

Sadly, this is true. Having written to Volvo UK to complain about a salesman I ended up being referred straight back to the dealership. Volvo UK had little, if any interest in my complaint.
>
>Does anyone else think this is blackmail? Or am I being a
>little hot headed.
>
Hot headed?? I would be furious to be dealt with in this manner. The one and only question is how much do you want the car?
slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 21:53   #5
tj101c70

Evening Andy

What your dealer is saying about waiting list, and premiums being paid for the XC90 is correct, but the biggest problem was the salesman being out of order by letting you believe he could get one in 6 months or so, I think there has been a lot of this going on,dealers promising a short delivery,just to get the order,

I ordered mine in April 02, promised ? aprox Jan 03, and arrived mid march 03. The dealer would probably love you to cancel your order because he will have someone willing to pay over the odds for it,I now someone make me a silly offer for mine when 3 months old, as my new R was immanent,how could I refuse !!

But saying that, he is well out of order with his attitude with you,
I would carry on and sent the letter to Volvo car uk, more that likely will send it back to your dealer, but still give him a talking to !!!

All I can say is ,, its well worth the wait,!!!! superb bit of kit

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (flash)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 22:30   #6
tonyflynn1

I'd say trust your instincts, if you're having this level of contempt from the dealer when you're trying to give them money then don't expect anything better when you're trying to get it fixed under warrenty. Quit while you're behind and go buy an ethical brand from an ethical dealer, Honda, Lexus etc etc
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 22:38   #7
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Hi all, my tuppence
After carefully re-reading your contract point out the error of his ways that he has an actual and implied contract to provide you with the vehicle you have ordered in line with the various Sale of Goods Acts. I think it is the 1988 but am a bit out of touch there. If he is still prepared to pull out suggest that you are considering raising the issue through the small claims court for compensation for which I believe the revised limit is £5000 - on the basis of lost interest, your time (at whatever you get paid at) and money expended and anything that is reasonable to have suffered from - extra wear and tear on your vehicle, depreciation, etc. You won't get the increase to the new market value as you couldn't reasonably have known it would rise. Point out that he will incur costs in defending your claim and he is likely to incur unneccesary adverse publicity. Don't threaten, suggest and with small actions this will all make him change his mind. Make sure you do your homework - write to the Sales Manager and CC the Chairman and make sure your facts are correct - opinions dont count in law - or on the Chairman's balance sheet!
The CAB is free and you can get the right dates for the Sale Of Goods Act - there is also something about reasonableness of the terms and conditions you have signed where there have been some landmarks of late in the courts ie it cannot be all one sided.
Don't forget publicity on such events is meat and drink to some TV programmes!

and if you win, can I have a ride please :lol:
Tony
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 22:52   #8
George Holmer

>Quit while you're behind and go buy an
>ethical brand from an ethical dealer, Honda, Lexus etc etc

Pull the other one while you're at it or do you actually believe that crap?

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 150k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 00:50   #9
roy chu1

I am stunned!!

You got in at the right time, and you are entitled to this.

This is a legally binding contract, fight for it man!

Still a long time to put up and shut up though isn't it. Ten to one, he is selling at his price and when next year comes around the price is back to the level to paid.

What a player!!

Discracful, Go get em man

Roy
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:43   #10
levensnevel

Lost for words about so much arrogance.
I wanna hear Jazza ranting about this issue tomorrow on the 1st TG show :)

levensnevel

a smile every mile