Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trip Odo Resetting Itself

Views : 1904

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 18:30   #1
Tonyrec

We have had our XC90 for 2 weeks now but we noticed a possible fault today with the Trip Odo.
When we swapped over on a long drive, my partner unlocked the car with her own key and the Trip Odo reset itself.

Is this a problem/glitch or something which is just happening on ours.?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:20   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Trip Odo Resetting Itself

Perhaps it is a very clever system that distinguishes between which key is used to turn on the ignition. The mind boggles!

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 20:58   #3
PJ

Funny that, mine has done it about 3 times. Dealer wants to do software upgrade at 3 months inspection. Did you resolve your promblem?
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:48   #4
mraldonnelly

"Perhaps it is a very clever system that distinguishes between which key is used to turn on the ignition. The mind boggles"

It is possible for cars to recognise different keys used to open and start cars. One example is the Lexus RX330 built for the Australian market (nearest UK market vehicle is the RX300 which doesn't have as many features) which recognises which key opened the door and sets the seats, mirrors and steering wheel accordingly. Apart from that it is one of the most hateful cars I have ever driven. I think it's ugly, it looks wrong, is a little confused about it's own identity (doesn't do well on the road and certainly wouldn't do well off road), made from some cheap and nasty materials and above all is far too overpriced.

I guess it is therefore possible that your car recognises who the driver is and reverts the trip odo to their setting. Did you try starting the car again with the other key to see if it reverted to the trip in hand?

Andy
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 17:47   #5
ron kirby

I think you will find each key has a separate trip,because you can store mirror and electric seat adjustment for each key.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 21:40   #6
Bob
Club Director

I will check with Volvo

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 16:33   #7
Bob
Club Director

Got this back from Volvo Car UK:

"Our Technical department advise that they have been notified of a number of instances of this occurring at a specific mileage (622 miles, which is 1000km). They are currently developing new software to correct the problem, and this will be launched to our authorised repairers as soon as it is available.

We would recommend that any customers who experience this problem should take their vehicle to their local Volvo dealer for investigation and diagnosis."

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 17:44   #8
Iank

As of last weekend no fix was in sight and I complained about it in August last year. The T1 trip may read under the 622 miles but the T2 trip could read higher because it has not been re-set. You can exceed the 622 miles, however the fault only manifests itself once the car has been switched off and locked.
I am still waiting for them to resolve the acceleration lag on the D5 auto which will probably take another 2 years!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 23:28   #9
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

It needs a software download from the mainframe in Sweden, for the gearbox and engine computers.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 17:34   #10
Iank

Default RE: Trip Odo Resetting Itself (Good news)

Good news! I have been advised by my dealer that the software fix is available for S60, V70, S80 and XC90. Contact your dealewr for the fix.
Cheers,
Ian