Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen wiper arms for ‘90 740 saloon

Views : 1011

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2018, 12:07   #1
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Default Windscreen wiper arms for ‘90 740 saloon

Hi all,
Any ideas on where to get a new pair of these? Mine are rusty in places and the car would benefit cosmetically from a new pair. I can’t find any online though-are 940 arms compatible or am I barking (wiping?) up the wrong tree?

I could remove and recondition mine with some time and love, but I’d rather just slap a new pair on and spend more time on the more important odds and sods that I need to attend to on the car.

Any and all advice gratefully received as always!

Phil
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 17:53   #2
bob12
bob12

Maybe, just maybe, have you tried your Volvo main dealer? Sometimes they can get things like this, and sometime, just sometimes, the price is keen. Of course, you will also be paying for the splined boss to fit the drive spindle rather than just a bit of bent metal! If it were me I would properly refurbish the existing at the cost of your labour and a few cans of spray paint! These arms are likely to fit 940, but having had one I am sure you know that. Best of luck in your quest.

Last edited by bob12; Jul 26th, 2018 at 18:37.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 22:49   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Bob said ^^^^^^^!

You could use the electrolytic rust removing remedy to give your wiper blades a cheap (but very effective) de-rusting, wash them off then dry and prime then paint them.

Will be good as new then! Except maybe the spring, they go weak after time so either tighten the tension by chopping a bit off the end and bending a new hook into the spring.

Alternatively Volvo dealer might come up trumps!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:43   #4
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I think i might recondition mine, now you Gents have piqued my interest in it...the springs are in good nick and I have a pot of Kurust handy, so I’ll give them some love in the next week or two!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 12:02   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If you're going to do it yourself Phil, have a look at this and leave the Kurust to fester!

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...leaning.12686/

There's a shed-load of other uses of soda crystals/washing soda and they're cheap to buy (a handful in the washing machine or dishwasher works wonders and cheaper than Calgon and similar that uses similar active ingredients) and it gives a better finish than Kurust too!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:40   #6
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you're going to do it yourself Phil, have a look at this and leave the Kurust to fester!

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...leaning.12686/

There's a shed-load of other uses of soda crystals/washing soda and they're cheap to buy (a handful in the washing machine or dishwasher works wonders and cheaper than Calgon and similar that uses similar active ingredients) and it gives a better finish than Kurust too!
I was interested and then the link totally confused me so gave up!!

However, this afternoon I had to replace my passenger side sun visor as the the plastic bit that screws (2) to the roof completely disintegrated and came off in my hand this morning. I blame poor longevity quality sourcing by Volvo from the French OEM manufacturer!! Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:45   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I was interested and then the link totally confused me so gave up!!
Bob
Which bit were you confused on Bob?

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 19:54   #8
bob12
bob12

I assumed you were saying forget Kurust and expected to see some alternative/s, but all I got was something from mig-welding with loads of pics that that didn't open or had an '!' mark against them and some comments which didn't seem to be to what I expected.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 20:07   #9
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
I assumed you were saying forget Kurust and expected to see some alternative/s, but all I got was something from mig-welding with loads of pics that that didn't open or had an '!' mark against them and some comments which didn't seem to be to what I expected.
I even just joined 'Mr Mig' but it makes no difference
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 20:22   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ah! It's a long time since i actually went through the thread, all the pic links seem to have broken which is a shame but if you read the wordy bits it does explain.

In simple terms, you get a sacrificial anode - a piece of mild steel. The larger the area of it immersed in the liquid, the faster the process.
Then fill a bucket, window box planter, dustbin or other similar plastic vessel with hot water and add a few handfuls of soda crystals - stir to dissolve them and they dissolve better in hot water.

Get your rusty piece of work (in this case, wiper blades) and connect the -ve/black wire from a very basic 12v battery charger.

Connect the +ve/red wire to the sacrificial anode.

Place both the anode and the work piece (cathode) in the tub/vessel so they are not touching.
Switch the battery charger on and the ammeter should deflect to say 3-4A.

Leave it overnight or until the current flow is down to nil.

Switch off, remove and wash the workpiece with clean water.

It will be almost as good, if not as good, as new.

In simple terms, the rust has migrated from the piece of metal you want to restore and good metal has been deposited on your work piece. It won't effect any original plating on the metal such as chrome plating either.

I've used this method many times on various things.

Here's a few :

Before, during and after in that order of repairing/de-rusting a fuel filler neck, also did a towbar bracket :

That's part of the way through and you can see where it's got rid of the big flakes of rust back to bright and shiny metal. Wheelie bins do have alternative uses!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: