Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poppin' and misfiring

Views : 930

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 21st, 2015, 16:26   #1
ChesterThompson

Default Poppin' and misfiring

Hi
I've just done my first adjustment on the tappets of my newish car, in the end I didn't really change much because they all seemed in pretty good shape. But once reassembled the car is running terribly! It cannot idle to save its life and will only run vaguely well when a lot of throttle/choke is applied, before the adjustment it was running pretty perfect! (Why did i meddle?!?!).when trying to idle there are pops and the engine bay smells of petrol also a lot of vibration.

When i was adjusting i took out all the plugs and one of vacuum tubes, so maybe its not running on all cylinders?
Also when adjusting the tappets i turned the engine backwards a few times to try and get the valves in the right place, could this have slipped the timing gears? (Thought this only happened on belt and chain driven engines)

Anyway any insight would be great!

Thanks, Chester
ChesterThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 16:33   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

Hi,
A tappet over tightened may prevent a valve from fully closing, though your comments suggest minor adjustment only.

A loose plug?
Ht leads on wrong spark plug, re check firing order is 1342 anti clockwise rotation.

You cannot upset timing belt or chain as they are gear wheel driven.
If all car ran well and all was ok before your adjustments, there cannot be much wrong with it.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 18:29   #3
ChesterThompson

Alright I've done some more tinkering. Ive re-done the tappets, again very minor adjustments and the backfiring seems to have subsided a little though. I used the method of putting engine at tdc then setting valves 1,2,3,5 then rotating and setting valves 4,6,7,8.

If I add some throttle car seems to run okay, but just at idle it backfires then stops. Noticed the spark plugs have all got pretty black with carbon after this happened.

This is the first time I've adjusted tappets, is there something special i need to be doing?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 19:08   #4
amazon69
Premier Member

It's quite easy to adjust the wrong tappet. Good advice here.

And, as suggested, check your plug wires. It'll be something simple. And it is worth doing, so once sorted, you'll be better off. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2015, 21:48   #5
Noslho

Hi Chester!

As mentioned, check the spark plug leads. I serviced a Morris Minor I had and experienced the same problems. Turns out I had been a numpty and put the leads on to the distributor to run in a clockwise firing order, not appreciating that the dizzy ran anti-clockwise. Swapping the leads round returned the smooth running.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Gary
Noslho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Noslho For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 18:28   #6
ChesterThompson

All is well! Turns out i'd set up the dizzy for a clockwise firing order, as soon as i switched it back all was good! Tappets have got a little louder than they were before but after adjusting all of them about 5 times i dont think my back can handle any more tappets!

I suggest you don't remove the rocker cover to try and hear which is your noisy valve or you'll get a face full of oil splatters and your shiny engine will be covered in the black stuff. (Just a handy hint from what i've learnt today)

Also found out my carbs were pretty badly out of sync, I've try to adjust that with a piece of hose i think i got it pretty good! the engine now runs eerily smooth, it doesnt cover up all the other horrible shakes and jingles anymore....

Finally after trying to do a ghetto tune up without any of the proper equipment i've got it so that after a 10 min drive the plugs are a nice tan colour, does this mean this tune is all okay?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 10:40   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Give it a really good hard drive and re check. As for dizzy dizy, we've all done it!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 13:36   #8
niveketak
66 Amazon

I made a mess of replacing the leads on a mates Rover V8 engine Morgan. The car started and tickover was fine but misfired as soon as revs were applied. After much cursing, swearing, doubting of its parenthood I realised 2 and 3 were on the wrong plugs. As arcturus said, we have all done it at one (or more) time. Nice when it is something so simple in my opinion.
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 01:29   #9
volvogv
Master Member

Here's a good video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwkEsDStWsM

Let Chantielle show you the way!
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote