Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help needed.

Views : 706

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 19:39   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Help needed.

Hi, I want to make some spot lamp attachment brackets and have been given this drawing as a way to go. What is the proper name for the hooks illustrated in the drawing. It would be a great help help If I know what I am looking for. I hope that you can understand this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10986881_10203964028925489_8233395487603295358_n.jpg (55.6 KB, 38 views)
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 20:58   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

The hooks are similar to those used on basic spring compressors but to me the arrangement is technical overkill even if it does have good adjustability. A simple L bracket with a single bolt through the bumper iron and the bracket is all that's needed. Have the bumper iron in the included angle of the bracket for the best support and appearance.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:35   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks Derek. The problem is that I don't have a workshop or equipment for manufacturing simple things like that. My Local mechanic has recently shut shop so that line is closed to me. Trying to drill through bumper bracket with a hand drill would be almost impossible. A pair of spring compressors something like this, available locally and easily modified might just do the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty...item5d4bbbb050

Last edited by arcturus; Mar 24th, 2015 at 09:39.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:36   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

The bodyshop that did your car should have a vice and a big hammer. I know you're hiding away in the corner down there (Sagres?) but I can't imagine that no one has a bench and a vice within a short distance of you. "Hand drill"? Well a sensible electric drill should have no problem. The bumper iron is tough but it will be drillable. Not many PV owners here but mocking a bracket up with some thick card and having a friend here to help should be possible.
Using those bits from the spring clamps would look awful. It's a matter of scale and they are huge. A couple of 15mm lengths of 25mm x 5mm steel strip should do the job. Arm lengths would depend on how you want the spots positioning but the mounting arm should be as short as possible to minimise vibration.
Any PV owner here want to partner George in this project? Any PV owner here with extra lamps fitted?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 14:19   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Hi, sorted out brackets and it was much simpler than i thought at first. Now to wiring. 2mm 25 amp cable OK? How best to wire them in. Are there any legal issues?
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 17:35   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Fitted spots, now I need to find suitable switches to blend in with others on dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3290042.jpg (260.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P3290043.jpg (261.5 KB, 9 views)