Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Navigation Update Question

Views : 765

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2018, 15:54   #1
buzzman

Post Sensus Navigation Update Question

When you download the latest Sensus Navigation Updates do you always have to start with a blank 32GB USB stick?
I've got a USB stick that I only use for this purpose. I've completed the updates once before and the download time with my internet connection was 11 hours! This was 18GB in size.

When I came to download the next update recently, I deleted what on the USB stick first, before starting the download, which was near enough identical in download time & file size.
Before I came to select the download update, there was a message asking if you were starting a new update (or something along those lines). I think this message might have been for the Volvo download manager software? or is the download site cleaver enough to know to only download the new bits of map / file data not already contained on the USB stick?

Or is the case that you always have to download what looks to be a an 18GB file for every new map update?
buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 16:09   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
When you download the latest Sensus Navigation Updates do you always have to start with a blank 32GB USB stick?
I've got a USB stick that I only use for this purpose. I've completed the updates once before and the download time with my internet connection was 11 hours! This was 18GB in size.

When I came to download the next update recently, I deleted what on the USB stick first, before starting the download, which was near enough identical in download time & file size.
Before I came to select the download update, there was a message asking if you were starting a new update (or something along those lines). I think this message might have been for the Volvo download manager software? or is the download site cleaver enough to know to only download the new bits of map / file data not already contained on the USB stick?

Or is the case that you always have to download what looks to be a an 18GB file for every new map update?
yes you need a clean USB stick each time and the whole 18GB map , that is about right for a slow internet connection , The xc90 has 48 Gb map files and can take 18 to 24 hours to download on a slow connection . It goes into the xc90 in about 45 minutes . your map files take about 2 or 3 hours of driving around to go in the car.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 16:42   #3
buzzman

Thanks,

I didn't think I'd missed a trick.

A Tom Tom Sat Nav I own takes a similar time to download, but with the added bonus of crashing randomly during the download meaning a complete restart!

I never thought I'd say I'm glad I don't own an XC90! With its 48 Gb map file 18 to 24 hour download time as you predict, looking very realistic on my slow internet connection!

Volvo don't offer map updates at the dealerships as part of the cars annual service I seem to remember reading somewhere.

Maybe the dealerships are missing a trick by not offering a free drop in service for those of us that have slow internet connections! They could offer the use of one of their own USB sticks with pre downloaded files. I'm sure in 45 mins - 1hour it takes to install, there would be ample time for them to generate some future sales.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 17:41   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks,

I didn't think I'd missed a trick.

A Tom Tom Sat Nav I own takes a similar time to download, but with the added bonus of crashing randomly during the download meaning a complete restart!

I never thought I'd say I'm glad I don't own an XC90! With its 48 Gb map file 18 to 24 hour download time as you predict, looking very realistic on my slow internet connection!

Volvo don't offer map updates at the dealerships as part of the cars annual service I seem to remember reading somewhere.

Maybe the dealerships are missing a trick by not offering a free drop in service for those of us that have slow internet connections! They could offer the use of one of their own USB sticks with pre downloaded files. I'm sure in 45 mins - 1hour it takes to install, there would be ample time for them to generate some future sales.
No , they cant really offer it in a busy environment , 3 hours Pre 2015 ) is a long time to have a car tied up in one place , but you do not have to do it all at once , you can leave it in the USB socket and it will stop when you shut down the car and carry on when you do your next journey .

If it were an XC90 they might be able to fit it in with the service as the maps take about 45 minutes , they will have a USB stick with the latest maps there somewhere , but it could be in use of course .
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 19:59   #5
buzzman

When you drive with the map update taking place, I assume that means you can't use the Nav during this time? or is the Nav still usable?
If Nav can't be used, I assume all other functions that require the display work fine during this time? I've only done the update once before whilst not driving, and remember the display only showing a progress bar.

I may well try the update on the next drive.
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 21:51   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
When you drive with the map update taking place, I assume that means you can't use the Nav during this time? or is the Nav still usable?
If Nav can't be used, I assume all other functions that require the display work fine during this time? I've only done the update once before whilst not driving, and remember the display only showing a progress bar.

I may well try the update on the next drive.
yes you can't use the navigation whilst it is updating ..
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 17:00   #7
buzzman

I completed the same Nav update on two V60's today, at the same time using two USB sticks. Both cars had the same revision of Nav before the update.
Both cars reported an expected update time of 1h 40 mins.
I didn't keep track of the time, but one car completed the update around 40 - 50 mins earlier than the other.
I gave up with the one that took longer, and let it complete when I was out for a drive later.

I'm wondering if the car that took far longer was because I was looking and the cars other menu settings at the same as the update going on, and also connected my phone to the car for the first time. This car has also had the Nav used more with destinations set, so I'm wondering if the destinations have to backup first, adding more time to the update?

The only other time I've completed the updates to both cars I think they took about the same time, but neither car had much Nav use at that time, & I didn't fiddle with the cars menus / settings either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and the time differences?
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 22:27   #8
steadvex
Master Member

I've noticed senus nav takes longer than sensus connect (the one with the globe icon), although now thinking about it, what Clan said rings true with me. I think it just happens to be that all sensus connect cars I've done were newer and the others were older...

For me I've experienced weird issues, I always have to format the drive before copying the update over, also different brands work better, for me kingsinton and Lexar seem to be quite solid, any kind of 2 in 1, ie USB & Micro USB just doesn't seem to like working, I have a 2 in 1 USB C/USB and some cars read it some won't.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote