Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA D4 Engine Oil

Views : 2312

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2019, 22:12   #1
SKYTRiXSHA

Default VEA D4 Engine Oil

Hey, I've been going through multiple different forums, but I've not got a straight answer to this question.

I have D4 VEA V70 2015 model, and it's driven for 370 thousand kilometers.
At the moment, I'm close to oil change (My routine oil change has been every 10k km), and I've bought 5W-40 to it.

So far my friends, few mechanics have told me that it's okay to use such oil in the car since I have the DPF disabled and same with EGR, so there should not be any carbon issues or so on.

At the moment the 0w-20 which is recommended from the dealer is getting lost in the motor (known manufacturer fault) approx 0.5liters per 1.5 thousand kilometers.

I've used in past 0w-30 oil in the car, that time the amount of oil lost in the engine between the oil changes was lower (2.5dl per 1.5k km approx) so I now bought 5w-40 Mobil Super3000 oil, and I hope it will stick in the engine.

Any worries or so on that could it damage the engine, while it should be protecting it more since the thickness and lower AB values?
SKYTRiXSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 09:52   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Raising the cold viscosity from 0w to 5w isn't going to help reduce oil burning and will result in less protection during cold starts. But I'd be more worried about the extra loading that a 40 viscosity oil will cause to the oil pump and oil pump drive. Why not stick with the 0w-30?
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 10:48   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYTRiXSHA View Post
Hey, I've been going through multiple different forums, but I've not got a straight answer to this question.

I have D4 VEA V70 2015 model, and it's driven for 370 thousand kilometers.
At the moment, I'm close to oil change (My routine oil change has been every 10k km), and I've bought 5W-40 to it.

So far my friends, few mechanics have told me that it's okay to use such oil in the car since I have the DPF disabled and same with EGR, so there should not be any carbon issues or so on.

At the moment the 0w-20 which is recommended from the dealer is getting lost in the motor (known manufacturer fault) approx 0.5liters per 1.5 thousand kilometers.

I've used in past 0w-30 oil in the car, that time the amount of oil lost in the engine between the oil changes was lower (2.5dl per 1.5k km approx) so I now bought 5w-40 Mobil Super3000 oil, and I hope it will stick in the engine.

Any worries or so on that could it damage the engine, while it should be protecting it more since the thickness and lower AB values?
If you use anything other that the ONLY recommended oil for this engine you are going to get serious trouble sooner or later .. who knows , maybe you have already done the damage ...

Volvo 0W/20 VCC RBS0-2AE
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 11:50   #4
SKYTRiXSHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you use anything other that the ONLY recommended oil for this engine you are going to get serious trouble sooner or later .. who knows , maybe you have already done the damage ...

Volvo 0W/20 VCC RBS0-2AE
Doubt about that, since they recommend 0w-30 for the same engine in Sweden and there isn't notable differences country-wise between Sweden and Finland.

As far I know only reason to use 0W/20 is the carbon, so the DPF won't get full, though thats not an issue since I don't have one anymore.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 11:52   #5
SKYTRiXSHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Raising the cold viscosity from 0w to 5w isn't going to help reduce oil burning and will result in less protection during cold starts. But I'd be more worried about the extra loading that a 40 viscosity oil will cause to the oil pump and oil pump drive. Why not stick with the 0w-30?
Since it burns it as well and I can not find 0w-40 easily.

0w-20 and 0w-30 differences are so minimal so thought its good to try slightly thicker oil, though 5w-40 is still pretty similar when I compared them a year ago.

So far I've not found a reason why I could not use 5W-40 in the engine.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 12:38   #6
SFTP

It's done 370k KM - over 200k miles - an engine that age is different to a new one. I'd run a slightly thicker oil than 0w-20 to prevent any leakage. It's also not got an DPF nor EGR so a low ash oil isn't as important.

Good to see one that's done so much distance.

That said - if oil consumption doesn't decrease - go back to 0w-20

Last edited by SFTP; Aug 31st, 2019 at 12:43.
SFTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 12:42   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Doubt about that, since they recommend 0w-30 for the same engine in Sweden and there isn't notable differences country-wise between Sweden and Finland.

As far I know only reason to use 0W/20 is the carbon, so the DPF won't get full, though thats not an issue since I don't have one anymore.
Did not realise where you are . what exact grade and specification do volvo recommend in Finland ?
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 12:49   #8
SFTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Did not realise where you are . what exact grade and specification do volvo recommend in Finland ?
See blow

Quote:

You'd want a 0 grade to give cold lubrication - particularly in a colder climate - and the higher weight means when warm it's not quite so runny. Something like 0-30 or 0-40 seems a good bet.I suspect now the engine is really getting towards the end of it's service life 500k KM that a slighter thicker oil might not be a bad thing.

In a very warm climate like Spain I might run 5w-30.
SFTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 12:53   #9
SKYTRiXSHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTP View Post
See blow

You'd want a 0 grade to give cold lubrication - particularly in a colder climate - and the higher weight means when warm it's not quite so runny. Something like 0-30 or 0-40 seems a good bet.I suspect now the engine is really getting towards the end of it's service life 500k KM that a slighter thicker oil might not be a bad thing.

In a very warm climate like Spain I might run 5w-30.

Yeah in Finland Volvo recommends 0w-20, while in Sweden which has similar winter conditions they recommend 0w-30.

As well in Sweden, the timing belt change is every 180tkm and in Finland, it is 150tkm, which sounds weird.

In Finland in older cars, everyone is using 5W-50 or even thicker oils, having the 5 winter viscosity in my car shouldn't be an issue, since I'm using Webasto in the winter.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 12:57   #10
SKYTRiXSHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTP View Post
It's done 370k KM - over 200k miles - an engine that age is different to a new one. I'd run a slightly thicker oil than 0w-20 to prevent any leakage. It's also not got an DPF nor EGR so a low ash oil isn't as important.

Good to see one that's done so much distance.

That said - if oil consumption doesn't decrease - go back to 0w-20
Alright, I've asked from various friends and mechanics and they have told it should run fine, welp will see how it goes.

As far I know the biggest thing is the ash in the oil and the mpg's why Volvo recommends the low viscosity oil for their new cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to SKYTRiXSHA For This Useful Post: