Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Carburettor options?

Views : 2126

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2015, 09:31   #11
woodman
Master Member

Yeah, there must be an air leak somewhere I expect. Thanks folks.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 12:55   #12
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Removal of double post

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Mar 25th, 2015 at 12:59.
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 12:58   #13
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

guitarman;

...that's rather how I feel about SUs...as they say: Set-em...and Forget-em! ...and they don't have those stupid Diaphragms!

Derek has mentioned the important point to recognize: Installing dual SUs on an engine with an A cam is rather pointless...on the other hand, I suppose they would be justified by the silicon breast implant principle: Don't do much, but look great!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 15:55   #14
Alf ista
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
guitarman;

...that's rather how I feel about SUs...as they say: Set-em...and Forget-em! ...and they don't have those stupid Diaphragms!

Derek has mentioned the important point to recognize: Installing dual SUs on an engine with an A cam is rather pointless...on the other hand, I suppose they would be justified by the silicon breast implant principle: Don't do much, but look great!

Cheers
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 20:35   #15
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Go SU

Manual choke HIF6. Great unit. Always a few on ebay. Used on late Volvo 140s in the US single and paired. I recently imported a pair to use on one of mine, but I run my 144S on a single HIF purchased new many years back as a manual choke conversion kit for a Montego. Converted many 120s to HIFs over the years. Faster and better on fuel than even a new 175CD I once had.
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 12:00   #16
woodman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvorama View Post
Manual choke HIF6. Great unit. Always a few on ebay. Used on late Volvo 140s in the US single and paired. I recently imported a pair to use on one of mine, but I run my 144S on a single HIF purchased new many years back as a manual choke conversion kit for a Montego. Converted many 120s to HIFs over the years. Faster and better on fuel than even a new 175CD I once had.
Did you have any problems getting the throttle lever to calibrate correctly, ie go all the way round when you press the pedal? One issue for me is because I'm on auto transmission the throttle linkage also pulls the kickdown linkage, so the amount of throttle opening and the amount of pull on the kickdown need to correspond to each other. If the throttle action 'arc' on the HIF is the same as on the CD175 then I expect this would be fine, but if different then I might be in bother.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 16:11   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

You might have custom make a lever for the carb to match it to the current set-up.

A shout out to Gillberry. Do you still have the HIF set-up that you had on the Estate before switching to twin SU's? If it's gathering dust in the garage you might have customer for the complete kit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 19:21   #18
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Lever

Hi Woodman. I use the lever from a scrap 175CD. Needs a bush because the spindle hole is too big but easy to make. As a result movement of SU spindle matches that of 175CD. Uses original throttle levers of course so no problem for your auto. Choke cable is easy enough to sort out. Have considered modifying one of those big round plastic 140 filters but I usually end up with an ITG foam filter for which there is an HIF mounting plate. Bit throaty but doesn't look silly.
Old Mar 28th, 2015, 12:29   #19
northNH

"...Installing dual SUs on an engine with an A cam is rather pointless.."

Not sure how this attitude is justified, as Volvo didn't agree, at least at the start of B18/12volt production.

B18A's and D's BOTH used A cams early on. The D's changed to B cam, with slight compression increase, sometime in '63-'64, while A cams continued on in B18A's (and B20A's) till the end of production in '70.

The rated increase from a '62 B18D with A cam to slightly later B18D with B cam is 5hp, with the A (even with slightly lower coompression--8.5:1 versus 8.7) remaining a bit gutsier below 3K RPM...

You want max oomph below 3K, add some compression to an A cam engine with proper pair of SUs...Can't be beat for just moseying around in 4th or 5th gear...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.3 KB, 0 views)
northNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 12:58   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

"...Installing dual SUs on an engine with an A cam is rather pointless.."

Perhaps cynically, I might say that Volvo fitted the twin carbs with the A cam in the early engine, basically for the USA, who would think that a single pea shooter Zenith rather too down market. The B18A single carb version was never sold in the USA. The few B20 ones that came in were also twin carb only.
The twin carbs on the Amazon carried on the tradition of the "Family Sports Car" image that was promoted successfully with the PV544.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote