Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B20 build

Views : 13444

Replies : 147

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 18:11   #1
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Default B20 build

image.jpegMy big B20 build is now well under way. I secured a pass to put it together in the kitchen which at this time of year is very welcome. Last weeks challenge was to get hold of a new crank pulley as the guy balancing my bottom end components had a good laugh at the old steel one. A friend who runs a historic racing engineering company has been working over my b20 e head for me. We had it on the flow bench this morning and using his fancy computer programme we were able to put in figures for a whole range of cams. I'm going to opt for the KG10 from KG Trimning. The computer print out is predicting 140 horses with good low down torque being the thing I'm really interested in. I'm wondering whether any of you have any experience of using a vernier cam timing setup? Do aftermarket cams from companies such as Trimning come marked up so that you can make use of volvo's line the dots up on the gears approach?
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amazonjulian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 21:48   #2
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonjulian View Post
Attachment 91858My big B20 build is now well under way. I secured a pass to put it together in the kitchen which at this time of year is very welcome. Last weeks challenge was to get hold of a new crank pulley as the guy balancing my bottom end components had a good laugh at the old steel one. A friend who runs a historic racing engineering company has been working over my b20 e head for me. We had it on the flow bench this morning and using his fancy computer programme we were able to put in figures for a whole range of cams. I'm going to opt for the KG10 from KG Trimning. The computer print out is predicting 140 horses with good low down torque being the thing I'm really interested in. I'm wondering whether any of you have any experience of using a vernier cam timing setup? Do aftermarket cams from companies such as Trimning come marked up so that you can make use of volvo's line the dots up on the gears approach?
Yes they do, the keyways match to TDC#1.
However as always put it together and use a DTI to accurately determine. It worked out that the dots were exactly in line.
Without teaching anyone to suck eggs but the dots on the gear wheels are not together at TDC#1, that is the power stroke #4.
I have a KG19 cam and Tom Airey (Airey Tuning) without knowing the origin commented on its smooth spread of power.
I would expect a KG10 to be even better low down.
A word of caution regarding aggressive cams, the vacuum is vey low and really not sufficient to assist the brake servo(>14"). I had 10"Hg at best, slightly more when coming off the power at high revs.
There are two solutions and I provide them in case you find yourself in a similar situation.
1. Add another check valve in the line between the brake servo and manifold. Arguably the best way to do this is with a vacuum reservoir with its own NRV. This will help in marginal situations
2. Delete completely the line from the manifold and fit a vacuum pump and vacuum switch. Works well but noisy.
Handily most diesels don't have sufficient vacuum for brake servos so tanks or pumps are a plenty on eBay.
I fitted a Audi A8 vacuum tank in the nose cone of the 1800, can't be seen and the brakes are transformed with a regular 15" and sometimes up to 20". Cost me a tenner.
I know I digressed but brakes are important!
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 23:16   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Are you running option 1 Russ?
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 23:41   #4
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Out of interest, here are the graphs of power from a standard b20 cam and the kg10
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (95.6 KB, 64 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amazonjulian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:33   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Do you know what the flow difference between the standard E head and your worked head? What else are you doing to the engine.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:10   #6
Amazonjulian
Master Member

Head flow is up 9%. We've taken a mm off the head and going for 10:1. The overbore is to 2130. Balanced bottom end. I'm sticking with SUs and have rebushed and rejetted them, steel timing gears and the sensible modern crank seal arrangement. I'm already running a 123 distributor and will go for an electric cooling fan. I am replacing the oil pump because the old one was only just within tolerances and it seemed a false economy not to. I'm running a Simons exhaust and standard twin down pipe manifold because at the end of the day they're pretty good. Getting to the nice bit now- screwing it all together

Last edited by Amazonjulian; Dec 13th, 2015 at 09:17. Reason: Not finished writing
The Following User Says Thank You to Amazonjulian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:17   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Head flow is up 9%. We've taken a mm off the head and going for 10:1.
That sounds like a very good improvement to me. Good to have someone with a flowbench working on the head for you. Russ (tdz840) would be able to offer some advice as well I'm sure as he's done a lot of work on his engine and researched into the engines so maybe worth dropping him a PM.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:22   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Head flow is up 9%. We've taken a mm off the head and going for 10:1. The overbore is to 2130. Balanced bottom end. I'm sticking with SUs and have rebushed and rejetted them, steel timing gears and the sensible modern crank seal arrangement. I'm already running a 123 distributor and will go for an electric cooling fan. I am replacing the oil pump because the old one was only just within tolerances and it seemed a false economy not to. I'm running a Simons exhaust and standard twin down pipe manifold because at the end of the day they're pretty good. Getting to the nice bit now- screwing it all together
Cool. Similar to my engine specs, will be a nice sensible engine but with a bit of extra go over the standard engine. Please let me know what needles you end up with once you get to that stage.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:22   #9
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Out of interest, here are the graphs of power from a standard b20 cam and the kg10
That's a nice increase in power and torque over standard. What was the difference(apart from the cam) between standard and modified?
What is nice is the optimum power and torque crossover happens near the top end of the graph whilst with standard torque is significantly dropping off. That may be due to the function of the headwork. Were the valve sizes changed?
My car was RR by Tom Airey but unfortunately no means of printing out the results. I recall the hp was 158.6hp and torque similar value. However the AFR still needs work and I have a 123Tune to fit and further optimise the ignition.
Once I have completed those two activities I plan to take it to a local RR which does have printouts.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 09:36   #10
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
That's a nice increase in power and torque over standard. What was the difference(apart from the cam) between standard and modified?
What is nice is the optimum power and torque crossover happens near the top end of the graph whilst with standard torque is significantly dropping off. That may be due to the function of the headwork. Were the valve sizes changed?
My car was RR by Tom Airey but unfortunately no means of printing out the results. I recall the hp was 158.6hp and torque similar value. However the AFR still needs work and I have a 123Tune to fit and further optimise the ignition.
Once I have completed those two activities I plan to take it to a local RR which does have printouts.
Russ
Sounds mean with the side draft carbs too.