Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v60 se 2.0 d4 5 cylinder timing belt interval

Views : 25650

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2016, 21:50   #1
shadders

Default Volvo v60 se 2.0 d4 5 cylinder timing belt interval

Hello, could someone please clarify the timing belt intervals in both years and mileage for the d4 5 cylinder engine built 2012. There seems a lot of information regarding the d5 engine but not the d4.
Cheers
shadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 22:00   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadders View Post
Hello, could someone please clarify the timing belt intervals in both years and mileage for the d4 5 cylinder engine built 2012. There seems a lot of information regarding the d5 engine but not the d4.
Cheers
It is the same engine basicly as the D5 ..The CAM BELT is 108000 miles or ten years which ever comes first .

. BUT more important is the AUX belt and tensioner is half that , ie 54000 miles * , THIS is the part that causes the cam belt to go so look after it ..

* = or 36000 miles depending on model year and engine number
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 23:44   #3
rkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is the same engine basicly as the D5 ..The CAM BELT is 108000 miles or ten years which ever comes first .

. BUT more important is the AUX belt and tensioner is half that , ie 54000 miles * , THIS is the part that causes the cam belt to go so look after it ..

* = or 36000 miles depending on model year and engine number
Clan, I may bow to your more intimate knowledge but the Volvo website says 6 years or 108000 miles for the D5 and my dealer confirms this. Just had mine changed at 6 years even though it has only done 58000 miles. Aux belt was changed at the same time but not the mechanical tensioner as they said it does not need to be changed until 108000 miles (a hydraulic tensioner DOES need to be changed).
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/main...rice-indicator
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 10:01   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy View Post
Clan, I may bow to your more intimate knowledge but the Volvo website says 6 years or 108000 miles for the D5 and my dealer confirms this. Just had mine changed at 6 years even though it has only done 58000 miles. Aux belt was changed at the same time but not the mechanical tensioner as they said it does not need to be changed until 108000 miles (a hydraulic tensioner DOES need to be changed).
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/main...rice-indicator
I had a look at that site and yes it does say 6 years/108000 miles , for the service BUT that is assuming that you do 18000 miles every year and is not specific to the cambelt being changed , what they mean is the car is having it's 6th year / 108000 mile service , so what will you do when you get to 108000 miles , have it all done again ?
If not then what happens to the next owner who will assume it was done at 108000 miles .. let it go and wreck his engine ..?

It is all a shambles to be honest ..

The bible which is VIDA says in its servicing schedule cam belt is 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first and it has been that way for some years now . good for business changing your cambelt early of course ! I would contact the place which did it , ask for the service manager or preferably their Master Technician in person and get it from his mouth rather than a receptionist's . They were 100% right about the Aux belt info though .

A new servicing schedule started at christmas they should be using this now , it is a more flexible system which tailors services to suit your particular car , if it is low mileage they note on the volvo system that it has not had a cambelt for example . so ask them why they are not using this new system yet as it would have saved you several £100 !

They say the Hydraulic tensioner ( if you have one ) must be changed too , however there is a recall to have this changed if you have done more than 54000 miles .

It is all so complex these days , previously you would have the cambelt changed at the 108000 mile service even if you had not done the mileage yet, as in your case everyone knows where they are then . It is ironic back then that cambelts and aux belts never gave a problem and they were being changed un-necessarily . today the belts were troublesome but you have to wait until the mileage is reached before changing them . A book could be written about cambelts / aux belts from 2006 to date !

Last edited by Clan; Jan 16th, 2016 at 10:17.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 11:33   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

Clan - is there a specific link anywhere to explain the new servicing schedule ?
Which cars does it apply to ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 12:16   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Clan - is there a specific link anywhere to explain the new servicing schedule ?
Which cars does it apply to ?
It applies to all the cars except some s/v40 from the early 2000's You best contact your dealer for details of the "Harmonised Service Programm" as it is all computer based .
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 15:06   #7
rkennedy

Quote:
I had a look at that site and yes it does say 6 years/108000 miles , for the service BUT that is assuming that you do 18000 miles every year and is not specific to the cambelt being changed , what they mean is the car is having it's 6th year / 108000 mile service , so what will you do when you get to 108000 miles , have it all done again ?
If not then what happens to the next owner who will assume it was done at 108000 miles .. let it go and wreck his engine ..?

It is all a shambles to be honest ..

The bible which is VIDA says in its servicing schedule cam belt is 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first and it has been that way for some years now . good for business changing your cambelt early of course ! I would contact the place which did it , ask for the service manager or preferably their Master Technician in person and get it from his mouth rather than a receptionist's . They were 100% right about the Aux belt info though .

A new servicing schedule started at christmas they should be using this now , it is a more flexible system which tailors services to suit your particular car , if it is low mileage they note on the volvo system that it has not had a cambelt for example . so ask them why they are not using this new system yet as it would have saved you several £100 !

They say the Hydraulic tensioner ( if you have one ) must be changed too , however there is a recall to have this changed if you have done more than 54000 miles .

It is all so complex these days , previously you would have the cambelt changed at the 108000 mile service even if you had not done the mileage yet, as in your case everyone knows where they are then . It is ironic back then that cambelts and aux belts never gave a problem and they were being changed un-necessarily . today the belts were troublesome but you have to wait until the mileage is reached before changing them . A book could be written about cambelts / aux belts from 2006 to date !
Thanks for the information. I take your point that VIDA is the bible on the issue but the Volvo website says 6 years OR 108000 miles whichever occurs first.
Looks like an issue where Volvo are trying to generate income for their franchises but to the owners detriment of several hundreds of pounds un-necessarily!! Looking at the parts that were removed (belt, tensioner, idler and at my request the water pump) there is not a mark on them and would probably have lasted till 108000 or 10 years as you state.
If I have the car at 108000 miles (doubtful as the car would be 12 years old by then with my annual mileage) I would again probably change the cambelt although there is a sticker in the engine compartment saying the cambelt was changed at 57000miles (6 years) so any future owner would know how long the belt has been on the engine.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 16:18   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I take your point that VIDA is the bible on the issue but the Volvo website says 6 years OR 108000 miles whichever occurs first.
Looks like an issue where Volvo are trying to generate income for their franchises but to the owners detriment of several hundreds of pounds un-necessarily!! Looking at the parts that were removed (belt, tensioner, idler and at my request the water pump) there is not a mark on them and would probably have lasted till 108000 or 10 years as you state.
If I have the car at 108000 miles (doubtful as the car would be 12 years old by then with my annual mileage) I would again probably change the cambelt although there is a sticker in the engine compartment saying the cambelt was changed at 57000miles (6 years) so any future owner would know how long the belt has been on the engine.
Volvo web sites are a shambles too , very hard to get around and also inaccurate as others have found here in different areas . I very much doubt they are trying to generate more income for their agents by reducing the cambelt time to 6 years , it is either carried over from a different market by mistake or an administrative error .

Can you send a link as to where it says about the cambelt is 6 years ?

There has never been a problem with volvo cambelts themselves ,
Back in 2006 when they started suspending the engines from the top they reduced the width and thickness of the Aux belts from then until about 2 years ago they have tried 3 different tensioners and changing the belt twice as often to get it to work . When the Aux belt breaks , it tangles around the cambelt pulling it off . Previous aux belts and cambelts were bullet proof , Who is designing cars today ? 23 years olds sat around a computer screen? Or proper engineers like they used to have .
Not knocking 23 year olds , a 19 and 21 year old designed one of the most technicaly advanced small cars of the last century :-)
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 19:50   #9
rkennedy

Quote:
Can you send a link as to where it says about the cambelt is 6 years ?

There has never been a problem with volvo cambelts themselves ,
Back in 2006 when they started suspending the engines from the top they reduced the width and thickness of the Aux belts from then until about 2 years ago they have tried 3 different tensioners and changing the belt twice as often to get it to work . When the Aux belt breaks , it tangles around the cambelt pulling it off . Previous aux belts and cambelts were bullet proof
Please see attached screen shot of Volvo page showing timing belt is changed at "6years or 108000 miles whichever is the highest".
Looks like I may have misread the webpage - it says whichever is the highest not whatever comes first. The statement seems nonsensical - you could construe it a couple of ways.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc2.doc (162.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by rkennedy; Jan 16th, 2016 at 20:01.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 21:08   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Please see attached screen shot of Volvo page showing timing belt is changed at "6years or 108000 miles whichever is the highest".
Looks like I may have misread the webpage - it says whichever is the highest not whatever comes first. The statement seems nonsensical - you could construe it a couple of ways.
Thanks for that . yes it only makes sense if you use the mileage slider as i said they are assuming the car does 18000 miles every year . seems to be a lack of communication between the marketing dept and the technical dept .