Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Even more problems with my XC60

Views : 8470

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:36   #1
XC60Owner

Default Even more problems with my XC60

My XC60 spends more time in the garage than it does at home.

In the cold weather, the door lining has warped. If you look through the driver's window from the outside the inside trim of the door has a big bend in it.

The windscreen wiper blade has warped in the cold and now doesn't touch the screen in the middle leaving a big smear accross the windscreen.

Another 1.5 hr round trip to the garage...

I am rapidly beginning to HATE this car.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 23:37   #2
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

I suspect wiper may have been caught on ice and the rubber has moved. Don't imagine it being the end of the world?
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:53   #3
Another

Mine's recently developed a metallic clunking sound from the front-near side wheel/suspension when going over very minor speed humps.

Needs looking at.......
Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:57   #4
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
I suspect wiper may have been caught on ice and the rubber has moved. Don't imagine it being the end of the world?
Well this is just the latest in a continuous series of problems with the car, that started from day one when the windscreen washers didn't work. It was in the garage (45 mins away) only a few weeks ago for wind noise and now it has to go back again. My Audi never needed new windscreen wipers even after five years let alone one year. Plus now my door panel is warping in the cold (or has become detached or something, either way it is rubbish build quality). I thought Volvo's would be a bit better in the cold than this.

But yes you're absolutely right, it's not the end of the world - I'm just venting my frustration ....
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:22   #5
Jay

XC60Owner - what type of audi did you have ?

I got rid of my xc90 after 2 months and replaced it quickly for a bmw but in the back of my mind still thinking of getting an A6 allroad to drive to the alps. not much information out in the public domain. any info will be appreciated but i am concerned if it will be a headache to live with although i do know the quattro are great cars and age very well.

Apprerently according to the telegraph today Japanesee off-roaders dominate relaibility league. The Audi A6 Allroad (2000-2005) was named the least reliable pre-owned 4x4,

"The biggest surprise must surely be the poor performance of the Volvo XC90. It's not what you'd expect from a manufacturer with Volvo's reputation, but I'm signing cheques every day on XC90 repairs."

and

"while almost 60 per cent of enforced garage visits for Volvo XC70 owners (bottom 10, score 115, repair £429) are due to suspension breakages"

Cheers
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:33   #6
AyrshireXC90

Jay - an interesting site - I have not seen it before
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/de...28339010848601
Although the repair costs for the XC90/70 are high (alot to do with the suspension - no surprise there then!), its reliability score is not too bad. Leagues ahead of the dreaded Audi A6 All Road and BMW X5!!!
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AyrshireXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 15:50   #7
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
XC60Owner - what type of audi did you have ?

I got rid of my xc90 after 2 months and replaced it quickly for a bmw but in the back of my mind still thinking of getting an A6 allroad to drive to the alps. not much information out in the public domain. any info will be appreciated but i am concerned if it will be a headache to live with although i do know the quattro are great cars and age very well.

Apprerently according to the telegraph today Japanesee off-roaders dominate relaibility league. The Audi A6 Allroad (2000-2005) was named the least reliable pre-owned 4x4,

"The biggest surprise must surely be the poor performance of the Volvo XC90. It's not what you'd expect from a manufacturer with Volvo's reputation, but I'm signing cheques every day on XC90 repairs."

and

"while almost 60 per cent of enforced garage visits for Volvo XC70 owners (bottom 10, score 115, repair £429) are due to suspension breakages"

Cheers
I had an Audi A4 Cabriolet (before the kids). Nothing went wrong in 5 years apart from a break light bulb that needed changing. Solid build, nothing wobbled and it all worked. Am considering trading in the XC60 for an Audi Q5 but am reluctant as it means losing so much cash on the XC60 which is only a year old. Shame because the XC60 is the nicest looking 4x4 around.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 16:09   #8
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
I had an Audi A4 Cabriolet (before the kids). Nothing went wrong in 5 years apart from a break light bulb that needed changing. Solid build, nothing wobbled and it all worked. Am considering trading in the XC60 for an Audi Q5 but am reluctant as it means losing so much cash on the XC60 which is only a year old. Shame because the XC60 is the nicest looking 4x4 around.
It is possible to get yourself a good deal - you need to work really hard with the dealership and not give in. I have done it before on new and used cars. Dealers are sometimes desperate to clinch the deal - I have seen premium used cars drop by 3k in short space of time when they want the sale.

Start looking now for the deal but i have found audi dealerships are very strict with discount. I got myself a built to order XC90 SE Lux 30% off list price plus i got extra money from HQ 'cos i wanted the soverign hide but was not prepared to pay extras for the lux model it was no use to me aand after 2 months and 5k miles got a straight swap (yes straight swap) into a bmw worth £40k with only 800 miles - the only drawback was that it was already registered to the dealership and was driven by the dealer principal aged 60. It took me at least 6 months waiting for the right deal to come along at volvo and was not willing to give in.

I do know a nice audi garage - he is not your typical sales always time to listen to you who is trying to source an a6 allroad obviously at great discount for me but i am a bit unsure if it is such a great car after all hence the reason for the question. Thanks for coming back to me. Good luck.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 17:46   #9
XC60Owner

So now I have a bill for £34 for a new windscreen wiper blade.

We did nothing wrong, it just warped in the cold, we didn't even drive the car and it is not covered by warranty ?!!

I am really, really wishing I never bought a bl%%dy Volvo!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 20:59   #10
ZERO-TO-XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
So now I have a bill for £34 for a new windscreen wiper blade.

We did nothing wrong, it just warped in the cold, we didn't even drive the car and it is not covered by warranty ?!!

I am really, really wishing I never bought a bl%%dy Volvo!!
I cant believe a wiper blade and inner door card have made you feel like getting rid !
What other issues have you had to make such a big change ?
It must have been cold to warp the blade and door card - unfortunately wiper blades will most likely be wear and tear.
How much is and Audi wiper blade out of interest ?