Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Even more problems with my XC60

Views : 8467

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:19   #11
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO-TO-XC60 View Post
I cant believe a wiper blade and inner door card have made you feel like getting rid !
What other issues have you had to make such a big change ?
It must have been cold to warp the blade and door card - unfortunately wiper blades will most likely be wear and tear.
How much is and Audi wiper blade out of interest ?
Well, let me see ...

* The windscreen washers failed on the first day I got it (when driving on a motorway in bad conditions I might add, really freaked me out, I had to pull onto hard shoulder to wipe the windscreen) - Fixed under warranty

* I got a loud whistling noise from one side of the windscreen when on the motorway - fixed under warranty, but noise still not completely gone

* Part of the rear seat is loose - going to be fixed under warranty

* The plastic door card has warped - going to be fixed under warranty

* The windscreen wiper blades have warped - £34 for me to pay even though it happened when the car was in the drive not being used! (am going to argue that this should be paid for under warranty)

* One wing mirror squeaked annoyingly when it opened and closed - I smeared vaseline around the joint and it seems better now

* The child locks magically turned themselves off a few times - reported to garage but it never showed up on the system diagnostics.

* The bending headlamps refused to turn off when I tried for the first time (the light just came back on again) until I stopped and restarted the car. It seems OK now.

* The BLIS went mental one day and both sides flashed continuously (very distracting) until I stopped and restarted the car (N.B. I often get the BLIS service message but I find cleaning the cameras gets rid of that). Again no fault code showed on car and they work OK now.

* I don't know how the tyre sensors work but when I checked the pressures one tyre had gone down a few psi compared to the rest (about 3 I think) but I got no warning (granted probably the threshold is bigger than a few psi) ...

* Build quality wise ... The floor flexes under my feet when I stretch out on the passenger side as if it is made of cardboard - that is just the way it is built I guess but even my Mum's Vauxhall Corsa feels more sturdy. Lots of things move when I prod them, e.g. parts of the dashboard - it just feels 'average' quality, I thought Volvos lasted forever...

* The boot pull-over cover has torn at the edges even though we hardly ever use it - Haven't even bothered to mention this to dealer.

* A little compartment cover in the side of the boot keeps dropping off - I just push it back on.

* The clips to hold in the sun screen on the rear window keep falling off - I've lost half of them now but the shade still just about stays in.

And for every thing that goes wrong I need to do the 1.5 hour round trip to the dealer twice. Once to show them the problem and a second time a week later once the parts have arrived from Sweden.

I spent £35K on the car. I'm just not impressed by the ownership experience. Oh yeah and my Audi never needed new wiper blades in almost 5 years - and it did snow on it too!

And whenever I call Volvo UK they say they will call me back and never do! I had to contact Sweden to get someone in Volvo UK to call me regarding the failed windscreen washer. They were all apologetic, said they would review their processes and then went and ignored me again when I next called.

It's a shame because like I say I love the look of the XC60 but I'm just sick to death of it going wrong!

And of course now I've lost confidence in all the clever City Safety stuff because of the other errors (I think I am right in saying Jeremy Carkson crashed his test car into a BMW when trying out the City Safety) and am also wondering about this recall of 9000 cars in the US due to the seat belt coming undone in a side collision. Does this affect my car? Volvo say no but do the USA really have different seatbelt parts?!

Sorry for the long post, but you did ask ;-)

Maybe when everything is finally fixed I'll feel happier. I'm just a bit fed up by it all ...
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 22:47   #12
bircham

Quote:
Maybe when everything is finally fixed I'll feel happier. I'm just a bit fed up by it all ...
I think you're absolutely right to be annoyed with it. I have had 2 A6 avants and at the moment have an Audi A8 3.7 quattro which nothing has gone wrong with. While my XC90 (bought new 3 years ago) feels as though it will go on forever mechanically, there have been annoying little faults and the dealer sevice is rubbish. compared to the many years of Audi dealer service I have received. I have now found out that my local dealer is having their mazda and peugeot makes taking pride of place in their previously Volvo only showroom while Volvo is to be relegated to the back. the VW showroom is huge and has a cafe etc while the more expensive Volvo are going to be slumming it. If Volvo don't have the same dealer standards as VW etc then there is no hope for them in the UK. They charge a premium price but don't offer a premium product, unlike Audi. If there isn't a marked improvement in the way that Volvo treats its customers then they are going to go belly up like Saab. Sad but true.

Keep up the pressure XC60owner, you spend that amount of money and get no service bakup and a relatively shoddy product in return. I am definitely sticking with my Audi and wil be getting rid of the XC90 when it is financially viable to do so. I have loved it but I can't take the lacklustre aftercare and silly little problems on my car.

jon
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 23:11   #13
ZERO-TO-XC60

XC60Owner - I now see why your unhappy - its funny how Volvo have such a poor track record on getting back to us. I started to build the same opinion even before receiving my XC60 - updates during my 11 week wait where none existent.

good luck getting issues sorted and I'm sure your love of the XC will return - as you say they are a stunning looking 4x4.

Andy
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 23:29   #14
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO-TO-XC60 View Post

good luck getting issues sorted and I'm sure your love of the XC will return - as you say they are a stunning looking 4x4.

Andy
Thanks. Am hoping so.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 19:09   #15
HairyMonster

Default Audi

I had an Audi A4 1.9 tdi with a multitronic gearbox from new which packed up (just out of warranty) leaving me with a bill of £4,000 Audi picked up half the bill (2,000)because the car had only covered 18,000 miles.
when the new gearbox was out of warranty (2 years later and 12,000 miles) the gearbox ECU packed in and it cost me another 1,700 quid.

Hence the XC60 AWD D5

2 x Audi wiper blades = £24.00 (2009)
HairyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HairyMonster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 08:55   #16
Gravy

Default XC60 Woes

Are the Swedish cousins attributing the same level of failures to the cold weather?

Maybe the kindest solution is for you guys to build another Titanic and tow your blessed island towards a warmer climate.

I luv my XC60 and would not return to BMW ownership.

Gravy
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gravy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2010, 11:42   #17
SKH
SKH

I agree with Gravy. Whilst the problems reported are undoubtably annoying, they are also quite minor and should be sorted by the dealer.

I am not suggesting in any way that they are acceptable on a new car but no manufacturer is faultless. Just look at Toyotas recent troubles!.

My XC60 has not missed a beat since new (Dec 08) and is far more refined & comfortable than any BMW I have ever been in.
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SKH For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 20:29   #18
XC60Owner

Just as an update, all the problems have now been resolved
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 10:13   #19
wetbehindtheears

Default Audi Allroad

Hi

First post so go gentle...

Just ordered an XC60, I have an Allroad now. The Audi experience is not all it could be either, personally I think all of the brands are pretty much the same, once they have your money it's on to the next sale. Just do what you can to get the best service from your dealer.

One main difference that I can see between the Allroad and the XC60, the XC60 is so much more comfortable, I am not saying the Allroad is bad, but the XC60 is fantastic.

Just like to echo the other chaps comments on the Audi gearboxes, out of the 4 I have owned 1 has completely imploded and had trouble with 1 other.

P.
wetbehindtheears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:01   #20
JimBob

It all makes interesting reading, I have have had two XC90's - a T6 and then a D5 and am leaving Volvo getting an A6 Allroad!

Certainly agree that the Volvo dealers service is awful - they are not used to dealing with the expectations of customers buying a premium priced car. My D5 executive was a very expensive car with loads of extras and after buying two XC90's from them I would have been expecting at least recognition from the dealer that I was a good customer! My 3 year old D5 has had niggles from new that are still unresolved (like the failed pop-up satnav) - the dealer just gave up and shrugged his shoulders, pathetic.

I like the XC60 but the D5 engine and dealers put me off to be honest.

I think its the engines and the niggly problems that let the XC90 down, I suspect the XC60's are similar.

My Audi dealer does treat customers well (I have had Audi before) but on the flip side is outrageously expensive.

I am hoping for better build quality, fewer minor niggles from the Audi - I know it has a reputation for being unreliable but feels more solid, we will see whether I keep it beyond the warranty period, heh

Some friends just sold on on their A6 with 280k on the clock, I dunno.... I'm going round in circles here.

JimBob
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote