Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where does the temp gauge point?

Views : 2592

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 12:19   #1
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Default Where does the temp gauge point?

On my 1.4, the temperature gauge reaches about a third of the way along the scale. Anybody have a car that runs hotter? Car runs okay BTW
Joe Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 13:35   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
On my 1.4, the temperature gauge reaches about a third of the way along the scale. Anybody have a car that runs hotter? Car runs okay BTW
It should be vertical , if it is an early 300 say up to 1984 with a SMITHS dash it is likely to be the sender but if a later VDO dash then go for the thermostat .
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 17:06   #3
Joe Harding
Premier Member

I did change the thermostat, I checked it opened well above boiling point but same result. It's not crucial, just sussing out other results

Thanks
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 19:40   #4
macplaxton

Slap bang in the middle on my car.

Happily running a 92°C stat
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 03:36   #5
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I've always had terrible trouble with temp gauges in the early cars. I haven't used the '79 silver one enough to remember whether or not it behaves itself, but I seem to remember that the '81 car wouldn't sit in the right place before the engine swap (and now there is no suitable sender for it in the head...but I'm working on it!), and the temp gauge in the '80 345 was first reading cold, and is now completely dead. Seems to be a weak point, or I have foul luck.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 20:05   #6
macplaxton

I've got a good temp sender for a Smiths, but it's a single tag thing. I suppose the way round it would be a T-piece for a separate warning light sender.
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 21:23   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

I think there are 3 types of sender :
1 , the early 343 up to 1981 had a two pin sender , SMITHS instruments , one tag was a switch for the low fuel warning light and the other a normal variable resistor for the temperature gauge .

2, from 1982 to around 1985 they had a "multifunction switch" plugged into the back of the SMITHS instrument panel. this had the single terminal smiths sender .These could play up and leave the high temp or low fuel warning light or the fuel gauge playing up .

3, after about 1985 they went to VDO instruments which used the temp gauge itself to work the warning light and had a single terminal VDO sender.

faults with low readings on the early twin sender are caused by internal resistance inside the sender i have opened up a few and cleaned the contact points inside, re sealed and they have worked fine again ..

from 1981 they still had a smiths instrument panel, which resembled the later VDO , cars had both of these so you had to determine which was SMITHS or VDO .
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 01:24   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Is it a quick job to demonstrate the repair procedure? If so, I'll bring my spare one down with me when I drop the amp off, if you'd be kind enough to show me the ropes?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 08:37   #9
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I think there are 3 types of sender :
1 , the early 343 up to 1981 had a two pin sender , SMITHS instruments , one tag was a switch for the low fuel warning light and the other a normal variable resistor for the temperature gauge .

2, from 1982 to around 1985 they had a "multifunction switch" plugged into the back of the SMITHS instrument panel. this had the single terminal smiths sender .These could play up and leave the high temp or low fuel warning light or the fuel gauge playing up .

3, after about 1985 they went to VDO instruments which used the temp gauge itself to work the warning light and had a single terminal VDO sender.

faults with low readings on the early twin sender are caused by internal resistance inside the sender i have opened up a few and cleaned the contact points inside, re sealed and they have worked fine again ..

from 1981 they still had a smiths instrument panel, which resembled the later VDO , cars had both of these so you had to determine which was SMITHS or VDO .
Good information, thanks. So in your opinion, what would be the most likely reason for a low temp reading on a 1987 340? I have swopped the thermostat with no success and checked opening temps (about 90 deg) Do the engine temp transducers go high resistance?

Or is there another possibility that with a new radiator, fully flushed system with a good strength antifreeze I simply have too efficient a cooling system? I mention this because in hot weather and standing traffic, the fan does sometimes come on and the temp gauge rise above mid-position.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 12:35   #10
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
one tag was a switch for the low fuel warning light and the other a normal variable resistor for the temperature gauge.
I understand what you mean, but did you not mean to write "high temperature"?