Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just made good use of the RAC! [Breakdown alert]

Views : 1459

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2006, 20:00   #11
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Can't remember the last time I had breakdown cover. Keep thinking about it but never do anything about it, then my car breaks down, wish I had it, fix it and forget about it again.

Glad to hear they sorted you out quickly though James. As Chris has already said don't worry about your headgasket it'll be fine, they're alot tougher than a slight loss of coolant especially as yours didn't overheat at all. I've had my temp gauge at the max briefly when the fanbelts snapped on the motorway and all is well with my headgasket.

ALi
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 20:54   #12
Doctor Who ?

Thumbs up

Yep' I'm with the School of Optimists too ...... Though, if other Hoses start "Going" ................. Oops
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 00:28   #13
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsner View Post
As Chris has already said don't worry about your headgasket it'll be fine, they're alot tougher than a slight loss of coolant especially as yours didn't overheat at all. I've had my temp gauge at the max briefly
Well this is it, I'd of thought my temp gauge would of risen slightly given no coolant in the radiator and steam coming out the bonnet! Makes me wonder if the temp gauge is working ok, but the gauge moves as it should in a morning when the car is warming up, so i dunno, its smack bang in the middle for normal driving also - just like it should be.

With regards to breakdown cover - Mine is Response RAC cover (being disabled and not being able to walk too far is an arse at the best of times, so breakdown cover for me is a potential life saver!). I pay £8 a month, which is neither here, nor there. Its well worth it Alsner if you think about sorting it out
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 00:56   #14
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Sounds to me like your gauge is absolutely fine and you didn't have enough time for the engine to really start to overheat. I thought my gauge wasn't working properly until it went sky high, with a viscose fan unit they keep an amazing constant temp inlike electronically controlles fans.

I should sort out the breakdown cover I just never get round to it, might just put it on with my insurance in nov

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks

Last edited by alsner; Oct 9th, 2006 at 01:00.
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:22   #15
LankyTim
Missing the point

Talking

If you catch it in time the temp gauge shouldnt rise, but if you leave it too long it will actually fall to zero. The gauge works by measuring the temperature of the water in the cooling sytem, if theres a leak and all the water runs out quickly or is blown out by the pressure then the gauge will fall to nothing as there is no liquid in the system to measure the temerature of.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:24   #16
James_N
VOC Member

i pulled over no more than 20 seconds after i first saw the first bit of steam, which was just long enough for me to get away from a main set of lights and nip down a side street out of harms way.

Ive been driving the car yesterday and today, and its still running fine, so im assuming no long lasting damage has been done, which is a relief