Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2015 V60 D5 Oil Quality Sensor, rising oil level

Views : 1182

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:42   #1
MrBenjaminHDM

Default 2015 V60 D5 Oil Quality Sensor, rising oil level

Hello,

I'm wondering, having had the rising oil level issue with my D5244T11 D5 Manual 215 and spoken to Volvo Hatfield in Bury, the chap said before the oil became dangerously contaminated with diesel the oil quality sensor would be chirping. I've seen that most models with the D5 for a while have had the quality/temp/level sensor fitted but the quality function never used. Is it now in the later models?

It doesn't change that fact that for the second time now my oil level has gone past the 100% mark needing to be drained off but I have learned I need to be more wary of interrupting DPF regens as I was blissfully unaware of the circumstances in which they occur.

Any insight into the sensor would be greatly appreciated.
MrBenjaminHDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 21:52   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Its not usually a big issue on these engines, bit more info needed,

1, what mileage has it done?
2, whats service history like?
3, have you owned from new?
4, any history of misfuel?
5, what sort of journeys does it do?
6, any other codes stored along with oil level?
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 21:58   #3
mattievrs
Master Member

Is it possible to have the oil level rising issue with this car of this age? Thought it had a dry DPF and not an eolys type? Or am I missing something here?
mattievrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 22:41   #4
MrBenjaminHDM

Hi and thanks for the replies.

It's done 19k miles 7 in my ownership over the last 9 months. I'm having its second service this week, the first was with the Volvo selekt dealer I bought from. I have never misfueled but cant speak for before, the engine runs absolutely sweet though. Admittedly I do a lot of short runs but I do try to give her a good run out at least weekly.

It developed a code in July related to the oil level, being 150% it was read, drained off and reset. Since then VIDA read 145% yesterday but has not yet faulted. Full service tomorrow under my watchful eye so I'll know exactly what oil and how much is going in.

From information in VIDA this engine cleans the DPF by injecting fuel on exhaust strokes. Level 1 regen during highway driving and level 2 if unable during normal driving, level 3 would raise a code which I have never seen and level 4 would require manual regen from VIDA.
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 08:45   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattievrs View Post
Is it possible to have the oil level rising issue with this car of this age? Thought it had a dry DPF and not an eolys type? Or am I missing something here?
'Fraud you are missing a lot. Volvo uses active regeneration with excess furling rather than passive using eolys.

The excess fuelling initially caused issues due to Ecu programming, overfilled dumps but also down to driving style and journey type.

This may be a journey type issue with the exhaust never getting hot enough to complete the regenerations.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 08:53   #6
MrBenjaminHDM

If the exhaust weren't reaching the temp it wouldn't start regen in the first place and I'd be seeing Soot filter full messages. I've had my eve on the soot level in VIDA which I have seen at 22g and later 7g so it is regenerating.

I suspect I may have done a bad thing and interrupted it on more than one occasion and perhaps induced more regens in doing so but even still I think the rate of rise is somewhat alarming and I'd rather it didn't regen and cause a soot filter warning as appose to slowly dilute the oil without telling me.

More to the point though can anyone confirm the use of the oil quality function? If I can be more aware of the regens and let them finish knowing that the car is on top of the dilution levels it will give me piece of mind.

Tags
dpf, oil, quality, rising, sensor