Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing a broken down vehicle

Views : 7808

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2006, 11:14   #11
bob13

The way i understand the law when towing a untaxed and uninsured car is if the front wheels are off the ground when being towed it is classed as a trailer.

Towing on the motorway with a rope is a no no. The police may turn a blind eye if only towing a short distance to get to a safe area. I think the same goes for a pole but if the car is taxed etc towing on non motorway road is ok i belive.

If you have a long distance to go with no tax etc a trailer is the best way and then a good 'A' frame that gets the front wheels up.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 14:35   #12
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
The way i understand the law when towing a untaxed and uninsured car is if the front wheels are off the ground when being towed it is classed as a trailer.

I was looking into buying an old "spec lift" leyland daf truck recently. Apparently even if the front wheels are off the ground the car still has to be taxed and moted. I dont believe it, but thats what someone "in the know" told me.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 14:56   #13
bob13

Like most gray areas of the law it is down to the person who reads it and how they understand it. And that goes for the police aswell !
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 15:03   #14
LankyTim
Missing the point

The weirdest thing is that some recovery vehicles can be classed as "mot exempt" thats is, they never have to be MOTed as the certificate they have lasts forever. The exemption is only valid aslong as the trucks being used for the recovery of broken down vehicles but to date ive never known of anyone being done even though they were transporting race cars or scrap metal. Theoretically an invalid MOT would invalidate the insurance as well, leading to all kinds of problems.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 17:09   #15
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Judging by the recent campaigns against untaxed vehicles I would be certain that whether or not it is being towed it needs to be taxed if it is on the public highway and could be impounded. Retreival becomes expensive - towing fee deposit against tax or tax disc and then a fine. They are making it not worth the risk. They can even be akward about taking to a pre-booked MOT and from what I was told it is not legal after getting the MOT to drive it to the post office to tax it! At the ned of the day no valid tax and the vehicle is liable to be seized and you can argue afterwards about it. A lot of garages in our area ran into trouble with untaxed vehicles parked on the road awaiting work or MOT.

Mike

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 13:04   #16
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
They can even be akward about taking to a pre-booked MOT and from what I was told it is not legal after getting the MOT to drive it to the post office to tax it!
What? Where did you hear this - surely that would make it impossible to return a SORN vehicle to the road.

I can understand the 'Post Office trip' being arguably unnecessary, but it must be possible to take a car to a pre-booked MOT. (From some of my other posts you might have seen I do this from time to time!).

(BTW Mike sorry for not following up on the hinge | asked you about a while ago - my 240 is currently 'off the road')

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Dec 1st, 2006 at 13:14.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 21:12   #17
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

This was from a DVLA enforcement officer. The crunch being how far away - it must be local and there is no legal definition of local. In our area your "local" garage might be up to 20 mile away. As has been discussed elsewhere some MOT stations do not promore confidence. I was also told that if it failed and you wanted to take it back for repair this would not be legal nor would driving it away after testing. It seems one is at the mercy of the particular person involved and the attitude is no MOT we impound and you can fight it out. I know one garage had a car booked in and it was left on the highway and seized. It should have been left on the forecourt.
It seems that at the end of the day the "system" only wants cars that are permanently taxed and MOT and will make it as hard as possible for those that do not fit into the system. One heard a lot of stories of cars that were seized illegally and later returned including off of drives (that might have appeared to possibly be highway). Whether these stories are true is another matter but judging by the attitude when I was paid a visit I find it wholey believable.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 14:08   #18
radiomark

According to www.askthe.police.uk you can drive to and from Mot station and I read somewere on official website that you can also drive to garage for repairs.
radiomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 16:14   #19
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiomark View Post
According to www.askthe.police.uk you can drive to and from Mot station and I read somewere on official website that you can also drive to garage for repairs.
Thats what ive heard too, although over zealous enforcement and an attitude of "seize first ask questions later" seems to be becoming normal.

If you dont win your car back within a certain amout of time it gets crushed too!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:42   #20
stephen-in-hull
stephen-in-hull

Default Plod web answer

I went onto our local (Humberside Nick) pages of the national Plod Web enquire within upon (almost) everything.

http://www.askthe.police.uk/

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/default.mth

I also asked a specific question:

What are the rules for towing, using rope, chain or pole, on a motorway of
MOT-failed, or partly restored car where the vehicle under tow does not
have valid tax disc?

This question arises from a query on the Volvo Owners' Club forum.

I also posted a link to this thread, but I can't tell from the reply if the respondent has read our thread.

The Plod reply was as follows:

Hello Stephen

Your question relates to a topic already covered on the web site. Please
see question number(s) Q558 for relevant information. See below for a link
to the question.

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q558.htm

The question above relates to towing a vehicle that is taxed. If the
vehicle is not taxed and is not on its way to or from a pre arranged
appointment
at an MOT testing station then all 4 wheels must be off the
road
. The vehicle is a trailer but is also still a vehicle and must be
taxed and insured if it is on the road.

Please note:
PNLD does not have the resources to research every email in depth. This
reply is intended as a guide only. The advice you are given is based on the
information provided. You are advised to seek professional advice before
any further action is taken, see Terms and Conditions for further
information.

(By the way, the textual emphasis in the passage above is mine!)

So, I rather think that my earlier gut feeling refers if the towed vehicle isn't an utter wreck, and it has a decent towing arrangement, and in particular a proper caravan style light panel plugged into the towing vehicle's electrics, and a number plate for the towing vehicle on display.

It still doesn't answer the 64,000 Euro question as to whether it is acceptable to choose an MOT station in John O'Groats, passing dozens of others on the way, pre-booked appointment or not.

I guess it comes down to the professionalism with which you tow, and the kind of "That looks suspicious, I'll pull him over!" profile that you present en route.
stephen-in-hull is offline   Reply With Quote