Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26779

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 15:57   #31
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaido View Post
A great buy and a very good looking combo on the drive

A silly question but are the disks you're trying to upgrade from original pressed disks or copies, ie DVD-R DL?

Mine is a 2012 and was very picky about the disk and took a few attempts.

I find for the seats the Dr Leather products work very well in the Volvo and once sorted like yours are now the wipes are good for maintaining them.
Are original DVDs "pressed" or "written"??

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 16:00   #32
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaido View Post
A great buy and a very good looking combo on the drive

A silly question but are the disks you're trying to upgrade from original pressed disks or copies, ie DVD-R DL?

Mine is a 2012 and was very picky about the disk and took a few attempts.

I find for the seats the Dr Leather products work very well in the Volvo and once sorted like yours are now the wipes are good for maintaining them.
Thanks Revaido! The Lexus is a great car and nicely different to the Volvo, and an awful lot faster it must be said.

The navigation discs are just from an eBay seller and were £14 if memory serves, so I’m sure are probably copies. We’ll see if the next set of discs work any better than the first.

Good idea about keeping the leather in good shape. I’m currently working my way through loads of old products but when these run out I’ll look into those Dr Leather wipes.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 16:21   #33
SwissXC90
Premier Member

One aspect you may want to consider is

1. Get VIDA and record all the software versions of all the modules fitted.
2. Post them here online, and I can compare with my car. Whilst mine is a MY2009, the dealer applied a general software update to my car in December 2018. Unfortunately I didn't grab a snapshot of what versions I had before the update... but I'm happy to compare mine with yours. That way, you can see if anything needs an updated

OK, a MY2012 will be different in some areas to a MY2009... but who knows what we'll see.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 16:22   #34
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
The navigation discs are just from an eBay seller and were £14 if memory serves, so I’m sure are probably copies..
That's less than 10% of the new price for original OEM navigation DVDs from Volvo.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:18   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Revaido! The Lexus is a great car and nicely different to the Volvo, and an awful lot faster it must be said.

The navigation discs are just from an eBay seller and were £14 if memory serves, so I’m sure are probably copies. We’ll see if the next set of discs work any better than the first.

Good idea about keeping the leather in good shape. I’m currently working my way through loads of old products but when these run out I’ll look into those Dr Leather wipes.
When updating my sat nav I came up with problems half a dozen times regarding discs however I have now updated and it works faultless
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:32   #36
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Hi,

Regarding your gearbox questions. You will have a large undertray under the engine which you will need to remove. On the bottom of the gearbox is a integrated level sensor and drain plug. To check the level park the vehicle flat and start the engine. Leave the engine RUNNING, if you remove the level plug with the engine off you will dump a stack of oil. With the engine running remove the 40torx screw and you should see a very small amount of oil come out. If no oil comes out it is either Bang in level or more likely a little low.

The oil measurement needs to be undertaken at temperature between 50 and 60 Celsius. I am fortumate to have access to VIDA and with an ambient temp of 13C the car took around 25minutes of idling to get to temp. I let it run for a further 25 minutes to try and plot temp (for those without VIdA) and the temp would not go above 52C.

To replace firstly remove the air box and inlet (2m8 bolts easy.). Then before anything else remove the full plug. The fill plug is 60 torx hence quite large, make sure you have one.

Undo the integrated level plug (no need to have engine running) and drain into a pan. Then undo the drain plug Which is a 17mm hex key. Measure the amount that comes out and then fill with the same qty. drive a week and repeat 2 or 3 times. At the end replace the drain plug aluminium gasket, level plug O ring and fill plug aluminium gasket (I can post all the part numbers here if you wish).

2 notes of caution.... 1. Your box does not use jws3309, check with Volvo what it uses and there were change overs around your year (you will use AW-1 but confirm) and 2. Don’t rely on the trick of drain, refill and then cycle through park, drive, neutral and reverse as some of the videos show as it simply does not cycle the oil through the reverse of the box. You will accordingly see lovey cherry red fluid and think great but it will be filthy a week later (I tried this as an experiment).
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 20:39   #37
Odysseus

Thanks for taking the time to write a step-by-step for the gearbox oil replacement process, XC90Mk1.

To be fair this looks more advanced than most mechanical jobs I've undertaken to date with any car. Next time I have some spare time with the XC90 I might poke around underneath to see what's what and to familiarise myself with what I'd be doing.

It looks like VIDA would be a good thing to have, so I've added that to my eBay watch list.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 21:41   #38
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to write a step-by-step for the gearbox oil replacement process, XC90Mk1.

To be fair this looks more advanced than most mechanical jobs I've undertaken to date with any car. Next time I have some spare time with the XC90 I might poke around underneath to see what's what and to familiarise myself with what I'd be doing.

It looks like VIDA would be a good thing to have, so I've added that to my eBay watch list.
Vida DICE is interesting and a nice toy to use but not really essentials. Especially when you bear in mind you can pay someone 40 quid to read the codes at a garage.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:33   #39
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

For the cost involved in purchase, Vida/Dice is something that I would not want to be without.

To my mind it's absolutely invaluable and will pay for itself many times over if like me you like working on the car yourself rather than letting a garage do it.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:56   #40
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
For the cost involved in purchase, Vida/Dice is something that I would not want to be without.

To my mind it's absolutely invaluable and will pay for itself many times over if like me you like working on the car yourself rather than letting a garage do it.
I totally agree
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: