Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Rear Shock Replacement

Views : 14650

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2013, 12:16   #1
PsYcHe

Default XC90 Rear Shock Replacement

Hi,

I have a 55-plate with a leaky shock at the back, which obviously needs replaced. Are they all the same shocks (or how do I tell.. I think the part number sticker is still on one of them)? And how difficult a job is it?

Just checking before I blunder in as I've read a few posts concerning 'standard' shocks and Nivomat shocks.
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 20:30   #2
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Hi,

I have a 55-plate with a leaky shock at the back, which obviously needs replaced. Are they all the same shocks (or how do I tell.. I think the part number sticker is still on one of them)? And how difficult a job is it?

Just checking before I blunder in as I've read a few posts concerning 'standard' shocks and Nivomat shocks.

Hi

All UK xc90s have self leveling rear suspension, ie nivomat.

Its best to replace like for like, but if you do take the cheap route with standard (non leveling) rear shocks that you need to change the rear springs too, as they are significantly different too.

The rear nivomat shocks are very expensive, and there are no alternative self leveling options around.

At least they are very easy to fit!

David
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 20:52   #3
ianu
Premier Member

Unhappy

Thanks David - what would be a typical price for the nivomats ? Do I need to sell an organ ? :'( Mine are probably due a change too.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 21:07   #4
PsYcHe

I'll maybe give my local indy a shout, see just how much.

Taggarts gave me a price of 700 quid, I was assuming that was a pair, but given that they wanted 70 quid for a rear wiper, I don't have much faith in their pricing!
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 22:22   #5
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
I'll maybe give my local indy a shout, see just how much.

Taggarts gave me a price of 700 quid, I was assuming that was a pair, but given that they wanted 70 quid for a rear wiper, I don't have much faith in their pricing!
You can buy a conversion kit from Volvo which is designed to convert non nivomat to nivomat. I think its about £450 to £500 and includes shocks, springs and all bolts etc for both sides. Obviously on a car already fitted with nivomat the kit can still be used.

There is a post on here somewhere about the kit and its part number.

Rob
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 22:42   #6
searider

Here you go:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ht=nivomat+kit
searider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to searider For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 17:11   #7
aland

I've just replaced the (self levelling) rear shocks on my 2008 XC90 with 135,000 miles on it.
One side was noisy going over bumps and didn't feel right. A look underneath found oil around the rear suspension on that side.

Info for anyone doing this job...

GSF car parts (wrongly) said that standard shocks would fit.

The correct item from Volvo is part number 30683451. I was quoted £402.50 + VAT each.
The kit (intended to convert standard cars to self-levelling) is part number 8685627 and cost £426 + VAT. It includes: 2x shocks, 2x springs and new nuts & bolts for all.

I just fitted the 2x shocks, didn't see the point in replacing the springs.

Car is now fine, much smoother.

The hardest part is turning the nuts at the top of the shocks while preventing the shock shaft from turning. Access is terrible from inside the car, under the 3rd row seat bases.

I ended up grinding flats on an 18mm socket, so I could grip it with mole grips (and hold it still), while turning the shock shaft with a T40 torx bit in a ratchet.
A deep 18mm socket would have been better, but I didn't have a long enough T40 torx bit to turn the shaft with (down through the square drive hole in the top of the socket).
This is where the proper Volvo would really help.
If I was doing it again I'd sacrifice the socket and weld it to a cranked handle around the top - would be much easier then.

Now I have one good used shock, going on ebay unless anyone here wants it for a cheap repair to their car?
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 19:04   #8
TheScrew1972

Assumed your '90 was a 2005 D5 and had a look on the monroe website which shows this price (albeit out of stock)

Mike

XC90 Shocks.pdf
TheScrew1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 20:37   #9
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
I've just replaced the (self levelling) rear shocks on my 2008 XC90 with 135,000 miles on it.
One side was noisy going over bumps and didn't feel right. A look underneath found oil around the rear suspension on that side.

Info for anyone doing this job...

GSF car parts (wrongly) said that standard shocks would fit.

The correct item from Volvo is part number 30683451. I was quoted £402.50 + VAT each.
The kit (intended to convert standard cars to self-levelling) is part number 8685627 and cost £426 + VAT. It includes: 2x shocks, 2x springs and new nuts & bolts for all.

I just fitted the 2x shocks, didn't see the point in replacing the springs.

Car is now fine, much smoother.
The hardest part is turning the nuts at the top of the shocks while preventing the shock shaft from turning. Access is terrible from inside the car, under the 3rd row seat bases.

I ended up grinding flats on an 18mm socket, so I could grip it with mole grips (and hold it still), while turning the shock shaft with a T40 torx bit in a ratchet.
A deep 18mm socket would have been better, but I didn't have a long enough T40 torx bit to turn the shaft with (down through the square drive hole in the top of the socket).
This is where the proper Volvo would really help.
If I was doing it again I'd sacrifice the socket and weld it to a cranked handle around the top - would be much easier then.

Now I have one good used shock, going on ebay unless anyone here wants it for a cheap repair to their car?
Think you will find the springs with standard shocks are much heavier duty so be careful.
GJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:16   #10
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScrew1972 View Post
Assumed your '90 was a 2005 D5 and had a look on the monroe website which shows this price (albeit out of stock)

Mike

Attachment 62976
Car is a 2008 D5 185.
Not sure if those are self-levelling?
aland is offline   Reply With Quote