Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 S70 Bizarre A/C Issue ;-0

Views : 1514

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 04:31   #1
M Miller

Exclamation '98 S70 Bizarre A/C Issue ;-0

Hi Folks;

I'm an A/C tech and have been working on a '98 S70 :-(

The evap was replaced, the compressor (due to mileage), accumulator, orifice tube etc.

System has exact amount of oil & refrigerant. The system was evacuated to 750 microns and checked for leaks under both vacuum and pressure. It's hermetically sealed and blows ice cubes. All controls work perfectly - in short - it's better then new - literally.

The problem is this - the compressor clutch will not engage when you drive the car. The A/C only works when the vehicle is at idle. I believe this to be a pre-existing condition but can't figure out what would cause it other then possibly a pooched ECC module.

We looked at two thermistors located at the very front of the vehicle in the lower grills. Both are now 100% clean with no corrosion-induced resistance. Also, both thermistors specced out the same given the ambient - we know they are good.

Any ideas why that clutch only engages at idle? Also, the clutch gap is spot on and it's a 100% new OEM unit that works perfectly. Methinks we've got some kind of wierd electrical issue here ....
M Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:18   #2
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Could it be because of the temperature. The system is protected by a thermometer and will not engage below 0 degs.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 11:38   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Have you checked with a test light that there is a good feed to the clutch when the engine is driving and compressor not working ? Does the clutch disengage when you rev the engine?

The Engine ECU is in control of the Compressor not the climate module directly . it operates the compressir relay when it gets a request from the climate module and as it monitors the AC pressures only when the pressures are right . Perhaps the pressure is too high? ie. wrong gas ? R134a is the gas . Wrong compressor with too high a capacity ? You said it was not a volvo specification compresssor ...
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 21:19   #4
M Miller

Exclamation

Hi guys;

Many thanks for the replies!

The ambient temperature up here (at time of testing) was 8c. According to Mitchell the system won't engage at 0 or below. The instrument cluster shows the ambient temperature and was also reading 8c - it's accurate as we cleaned and tested those two thermistors so ambient temperature should not be an issue.

With regards to the compressor operating in the shop - we haven't yet tested to see if it will operate if the RPM is higher (such as 2,000 RPM). That's on our list of things to check - thank you for bringing it up - it's a valid point.

With regards to the compressor - it's a 100% new Volvo part. Not used, not reman, not another brand - it's new Volvo.

R134a is the refrigerant used - specifically 26.4 ounces. The system is hermetically sealed - it's as new or better.

The issue must be electrical or ECC or something along those lines. As soon as I get a chance we'll test for compressor operation at above idle in the shop and will post back the results.

Thank you both for your replies - they are shedding light on aspects of the job and causing us to think in new ways
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 22:07   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The use of a Volvo scan tool would help, the AC pressure, as seen by the engine ECU, and AC request from ECC can be displayed as live data.

You could also monitor the AC pressure transducer output & the DC input to the compressor using a multimeter.
You may find that to AC is shut off at higher pressure/RPM by the engine ECU.

28.8 oz = 816 grams which is a little on the high side, from memory the fill wieght should be 750 grams. However I doubt the difference is significant.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:31   #6
M Miller

Exclamation

Hi Chris;

With regards to the charge spec - I actually used 26.4 ounces which is the factory spec.

Today we swapped the A/C relay for another unit from a known functional vehicle and encountered the same issue - A/C works at idle and not on the road.

We also tried running the engine at 2,000 RPM in park to see if that would cause it to act up - no difference - the A/C works perfectly in the shop (or at a light).

I don't have a Volvo scan tool - will a modern Snap-on unit also show the HVAC system?

Is there a special 'reset' procedure for these vehicles?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:05   #7
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Could this be a mechanical problem rather than an AC problem
I believe that the magnetic clutches on the compressor can go out of adjustment, and somewhere on the forum is a set of instructions on how to adjust the clutch gaps to get everything working again.
Not sure if this would give the symptoms you describe, but might be worth a hunt and a check of the clutch?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:06   #8
M Miller

Good point - I considered that originally and checked the clutch gap - it's spot on :-(
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:11   #9
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

How about the cabin temperature sensor. I believe that the little grille to this can get blocked, fooling the air con into thinking everything is good?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 13:48   #10
jeremycolley

Default Air Con article

Hi - this article might help

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/aircon-keithP.html

Does the compressor cut out when the revs are increased above idle or when the car is in motion?

A quick scan of this article reveals that the compressor is shut down at WOT - unlikely, but could the TPS be throwing an incorrect reading above idle (whilst not triggering a number of other syptoms or faults)..?

Jeremy
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote