Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is an engine rebuild worth it?

Views : 817

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2022, 20:20   #1
hodgsoja

Default Is an engine rebuild worth it?

Hi

XC90 D5 SE 161K 2009

Further to my post yesterday, it initially appears to look like the aux belt i replaced (which was disintegrating, though i had hoped i caught it in time) had actually got caught up with the timing belt & knocked the timing out by a tooth or 2 & with it - my engine - hence the odd noise being a lack of compression.

The debate with my now ageing car as to whether getting an engine rebuild, replacing the engine, selling to a breaker etc is in full swing.

Just had a new MOT on it (along with the 2 new pirellis), turbo resonator last year - aside from which over our 7 years of ownership have been standard maintenance only (annual parking brake MOT larks ignored for now!)

My question is: Do you think it is worth going for a rebuild (obviously an unknown expense until the excavation is in full swing)?

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of what damage was done by timing belt failure and what their bill ended up being? is a risky business and i am going in with eyes wide open

I should add am not really in a position to spend much on a replacement car

p.s. It's my wife's car & she absolutely loves it so she wants a rebuild
hodgsoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 20:52   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgsoja View Post
Hi

XC90 D5 SE 161K 2009

Further to my post yesterday, it initially appears to look like the aux belt i replaced (which was disintegrating, though i had hoped i caught it in time) had actually got caught up with the timing belt & knocked the timing out by a tooth or 2 & with it - my engine - hence the odd noise being a lack of compression.

The debate with my now ageing car as to whether getting an engine rebuild, replacing the engine, selling to a breaker etc is in full swing.

Just had a new MOT on it (along with the 2 new pirellis), turbo resonator last year - aside from which over our 7 years of ownership have been standard maintenance only (annual parking brake MOT larks ignored for now!)

My question is: Do you think it is worth going for a rebuild (obviously an unknown expense until the excavation is in full swing)?

Does anyone have experience (good or bad) of what damage was done by timing belt failure and what their bill ended up being? is a risky business and i am going in with eyes wide open

If your tooth has been mocked out by a tooth or two it would have led to the car running very very poorly and you would have known about it so are you sure that has happened?

If it were me I would want to confirm your engine was destroyed, whilst it is an interference fit I would not jump to the conclusion that a skipped tooth has led to catastrophic failure (it may have).

Perhaps the first thing to do is get the timing set and then do a compression test. You may be able to get cylinder 1 to TDC and time yourself.

You need to rule out the symptoms of engine failure which may be caused purely by incorrect timing.

If you do KNOW that the engine has suffered catastrophic failure then personally I would go for a reconditioned unit. I would imagine for the outlay you would then be set up for a long time.

I assume it’s an auto but if a manual obviously it goes without saying replace the clutch.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 22:12   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

If you do need an engine, I had mine replaced last year and it was a 2.5k bill with everything like gearbox oil, cambelt, service etc that was a good second hand engine with low ish miles.

But fingers crossed your engine ok but definitely get a second opinion on it.
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 00:12   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you do need an engine, get a second hand one. The D5 is so reliable, good second hand units are much cheaper than a rebuild.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 08:29   #5
john langrick
Master Member

Agree with above

You will be surprised how reasonably these emgines are.

I personally went to a company called Volvo Saab breakers and had my indie replace the engine, taking an opportunity to check engine mounts etc.

Speak to them and they will let you know the mileage of the donor.

That was nearly three years ago and she continues to run sweet. (Perhaps I should keep quiet about that).

But as all are saying, get a good indie to check the old one out fully.

The labour cost to replace the engine was quoted £1000 and mine was lifted up and sub frame dropped out.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191022_134159_9.jpg (211.4 KB, 62 views)
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 08:37   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If the timing is out and there is piston and valve contact, the damage is usually that the hydraulic valve clearance adjusters rupture their housing in the cylinder head casting. If you had a sub-100k mile car I would suggest getting a recon head but that’s actually a longer job to do properly than change the whole engine. So on a 160k car it would by cheaper and lowest risk to change the engine with a second hand one which are plentiful on eBay etc. best to pay a bit more though and go to one of the bigger breakers with good feedback and a reasonable warranty.

Such as these chaps : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194724665...EAAOSw241YflDO
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Feb 5th, 2022 at 08:41.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 20:19   #7
hodgsoja

*Update*

Well it was indeed terminal as the head was cracked and various other bent rods (5k garage estimate to fix) etc. - took the hard decision after 8 years of ownership to cut losses (as that was only the top of the engine, potential for further trouble down below) due to mileage of 161k so flogged it to Charles Trent who will either fix it or dismantle for parts.

On the upside bought a replacement 2013 SE Lux so still in the club, so to speak

The prospect of replacing the engine was a step too far for the wife (it’s her car)

Cheers for the advice nonetheless
hodgsoja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hodgsoja For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 12:26   #8
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgsoja View Post
Hi

XC90 D5 SE 161K 2009

Further to my post yesterday, it initially appears to look like the aux belt i replaced (which was disintegrating, though i had hoped i caught it in time) had actually got caught up with the timing belt & knocked the timing out by a tooth or 2 & with it - my engine refubishment - hence the odd noise being a lack of compression.

hey, got a bit of a problem with my 95 v6 pickup w/ 266k miles on it. it eats oil, like a quart every 250-300 miles, no leaks, some smoke when I start it up sometimes, and the oil goes black fairly quickly after an oil change. put in a new pcv valve and that did nothing to quell the oil consumption. realizing the engine may be in some sort of a death spiral (although it still runs great), i'm thinking about getting the engine rebuilt b/c of the crazy price of used trucks these days. does anyone have any experience or words of wisdom about getting an engine with this many miles on it rebuilt? is it simply a waste of money? i like this truck and I want to keep it but it's also an expensive job . . . and if anyone knows of a good rebuilder in washington or oregon, please let me know. thank you.
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote