Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie says Hi

Views : 1000

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2020, 10:20   #1
nickoso

Default Newbie says Hi

Morning folks.
Just bought my first Volvo a couple of days ago... and really chuffed so far.
I was looking at BMW X5s but a mechanic friend warned me off them before I got myself into a world of pain by the sound of it!
Travelled around a few miles to look at a shortlist of XC90s and bought one from Sheffield in the end. Long trip back to Cornwall was very comfortable though

Just a few questions please...

1. Is the rear mirror compass display only available with the satnav fitted models?

2. Is there really no dipstick to check the level and condition of the ATF?

3. I want to replace the 'R Design' grill badge. How does it come off the grill please?

Thanks

Last edited by nickoso; Jan 27th, 2020 at 11:55.
nickoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 11:48   #2
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoso View Post

1. Is the rear mirror compass display only available with the satnav fitted models?
I have this but I wouldn't worry about not having it.
Very vague - tells you your rough direction only.
Look out of the window and you'd have a an idea of your direction anyway, by the position of sun for example.
Okay, not so easy at night
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 12:00   #3
nickoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I have this but I wouldn't worry about not having it.
Very vague - tells you your rough direction only.
Look out of the window and you'd have a an idea of your direction anyway, by the position of sun for example.
Okay, not so easy at night
Thanks. I just like to know if I've got hidden features that weren't obvious. Like the pop out SIM carrier in the radio front... felt like James Bond when I found that!!

When I was looking at cars, one salesman dazzled me with the Volvo app that can start your car and set your heated seats going while you're still eating your breakfast. The one I bought doesn't have this feature... is it a major job to retrofit or just a software download? I can't believe I've got so soft that I'm even contemplating this!!
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 12:19   #4
nickoso

Spent some time combing through the forum for maintenance tips, so now understand the reason there is no ATF dipstick. Mine has done 40000 miles so I’ll do an ATF change and service the Haldex in the coming months.

Just renewed the two knackered grill badges which was a nice cheap fix.

Also got a set of four genuine Volvo rubber mats from ‘swedishcaraccessories’ on a well known auction site for £45 delivered.

Deselected the auto locking doors function too after seeing a helpful video on t’internet.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickoso For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 08:21   #5
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi mate and welcome.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 09:12   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
When I was looking at cars, one salesman dazzled me with the Volvo app that can start your car and set your heated seats going while you're still eating your breakfast. The one I bought doesn't have this feature... is it a major job to retrofit or just a software download? I can't believe I've got so soft that I'm even contemplating this!!
I believe these features of the app are only available on model years 12 and newer. Since yours is a 2013 you should be able to access them - perhaps ask the salesman to help set up the app for you.
Alas mine is a my11, so I miss out on remote features.

Last edited by AB-UK; Jan 30th, 2020 at 09:15.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 17:38   #7
nickoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I believe these features of the app are only available on model years 12 and newer. Since yours is a 2013 you should be able to access them - perhaps ask the salesman to help set up the app for you.
Alas mine is a my11, so I miss out on remote features.
I did download the app and input the VIN number for my vehicle into the screen flow, but it returned a message saying that the service was not available for my vehicle. I presume that I would need the 'Volvo On Call' feature added to my car by Volvo. I think all the 'Executive' models came with this feature, but other models only had it as an optional extra from new. I'll speak to Volvo dealership next time I'm passing to clarify this I reckon.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to nickoso For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 22:49   #8
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Spent some time combing through the forum for maintenance tips, so now understand the reason there is no ATF dipstick. Mine has done 40000 miles so I’ll do an ATF change and service the Haldex in the coming months.

Just renewed the two knackered grill badges which was a nice cheap fix.

Also got a set of four genuine Volvo rubber mats from ‘swedishcaraccessories’ on a well known auction site for £45 delivered.

Deselected the auto locking doors function too after seeing a helpful video on t’internet.
Do you happen to have the link to that very helpful video as I am still searching where to find the menu to change the auto locking doors ..... as well as trying to find the menu to have the mirrors automatically folding when locking ......

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 09:54   #9
nickoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainBrighton View Post
Do you happen to have the link to that very helpful video as I am still searching where to find the menu to change the auto locking doors ..... as well as trying to find the menu to have the mirrors automatically folding when locking ......
Here’s the link for the auto lock on/off setting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfOd...&feature=share

Not sure about the auto folding mirrors. I’ll try and found out if it’s possible.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:11   #10
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

IIRC auto folding mirrors are a feature available with the Can Bus Extender but they retract on ignition off rather than locking.

I found that a pain as I like to check mirrors before I get out of the car so I disabled that and just just the button to fold them now (when I bother)

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post: