Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop Start Question

Views : 626

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 11:33   #1
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Default Stop Start Question

My car has stop start, and my commute is 6 miles a day ( I do a few longer runs each month ). I've started turning the stop/start off on my commute as it's through town so it may stop/start 8 or 9 times on the short journey. So I figure that's bad for the car as thats like doing 8/9 short journeys ( I know diesels can get clogged up on too many short journeys ).

Just wanted some opinions, will turning the stop, start off have any detrimental affects (I know the mpg may go up slightly), but for example will the stop/start battery still charge if the feature is turned off etc. Or am I just being silly, and I should just leave it turned on?

Thnaks
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 12:29   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I've just bought a V60 with this stop/start feature and have decided to turn it off, at least whenever I remember to!

I can't see it does any harm to make this feature inactive, other than in relation to economy and emissions. In fact the car itself often decides to make this feature unavailable, in my case either because of the battery state of charge or the outside temperature.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 13:15   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
My car has stop start, and my commute is 6 miles a day ( I do a few longer runs each month ). I've started turning the stop/start off on my commute as it's through town so it may stop/start 8 or 9 times on the short journey. So I figure that's bad for the car as thats like doing 8/9 short journeys ( I know diesels can get clogged up on too many short journeys ).

Just wanted some opinions, will turning the stop, start off have any detrimental affects (I know the mpg may go up slightly), but for example will the stop/start battery still charge if the feature is turned off etc. Or am I just being silly, and I should just leave it turned on?

Thnaks
It does no harm to turn it off or leave it on , it can be a bit of a pain sometimes at roundabouts , but very useful in heavy traffic . sometimes you may want it , other times you might have had enough of it for one day! It is said to save about 8% fuel in heavy traffic ..
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 14:10   #4
Chrisv60

I turn it off as part of my regular routine.

Press start button, put seat belt on while it's starting, turn off start/stop, twiddle radio, drive off.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 16:10   #5
chrisfr

Ditto, stop start is a pain in the butt.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 19:34   #6
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Volvo stop/start just about as good as any

In the last few years I have driven a few hire cars with Stop/Start. Easily the best was a Ford Focus 1.5 turbo petrol with a traditional torque converter auto box. Hardly knew the S/S was there to be honest. The worst, would you believe, was an Audi A4 2.0 turbo diesel with a DSG auto box. Using S/S the diesel started up with some clatter and vibration most times and, much worse, the power assisted steering took about half a second to kick in after a start. That was somewhat disconcerting when making an immediate turn pulling away at traffic lights or a junction! My own car is an S80 D3 S/S with a torque converter auto box. IMHO the Volvo S/S is nearly as good as the Ford, but as you would expect the diesel engine re-starts with just a bit more fuss than the petrol. No problems with the power steering. I keep my Volvo S/S on all the time and it does not bother me. I have never driven a manual car with S/S and can see that might well be a completely different experience.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 09:27   #7
chrisfr

If its helpful, when i start the car I usually check by briefly pressing the my car button to see if its available ( which usually for one of twenty or so reasons or maybe because the moon is in the wrong quadrent - it is not ) This prepares me for what is coming next. I dont usually deselect it. I find that very gentle progressive braking usually doesnt trigger it even if its available. You are not gojng to damage anything anyway as the starter motor is not the one fitted to normal cars but a much heavier duty one as are the batteries. The smaller start/ stop battery is gel and charges quickly, but its the other main car battery that is the one that controls availability as the sytem wont activate if this is less than 80% charged. Things like heated seats will affect this or aircon on full pelt may.
If you have an auto box and stop start switches off the engine when you are parkin, dont leave the car without pressing the engine on / off button on the dash as the engine may start again and the car could start moving again if still in drive! Crazy but true. Just another one of the design features that the volvo engineers may have created after too having many sherberts the night before.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 11:20   #8
elzorillo

So many variables affect the feature that it rarely kicks in for me anyway, especially during this hot weather. I've had the car maybe a month and the engine has stopped just three times. It so infrequently works that each time I assumed I'd stalled and restarted the engine hehe
elzorillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:52   #9
chrisfr

I would agree with the last post. There seems to be a narrow window where it will function properly. Extremes of heat and cold certainly affect it. So does battery condition.
I would agree that it switches off in some totally silly places, like junctions and sometimes it does not immediatly restart. Imagine not being able to restart the engine straight away on say a train crossing. Change of underwear time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 13:16   #10
Wobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
I turn it off as part of my regular routine.

Press start button, put seat belt on while it's starting, turn off start/stop, twiddle radio, drive off.
Amen brother !
Wobbin is offline   Reply With Quote