Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RADIO Not Working Blank

Views : 9559

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2012, 18:37   #1
mcd0minguez

Exclamation RADIO Not Working Blank

I unplugged my factory radio in my 2004 XC90 in order to install an iSimple (iPod/iPhone) integration.

I have checked all the fuses

I have left my car on overnight in the ignition 1 setting

I tried cycling on/off on my keyless remote multiple times

Still! The radio screen is blank. I can press the knob twice and it says "volvo premium sound doby II" for 3 seconds and goes blank again! but won't ask for a code and it doesn't say off.

Can anyone help me get my radio back?
mcd0minguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 20:13   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

try taking out your non volvo addition and try again ... have you left out the fibre optic network plug? the orange sheathed ones ..
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 21:17   #3
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd0minguez View Post
Still! The radio screen is blank. I can press the knob twice and it says "volvo premium sound doby II" for 3 seconds and goes blank again!
definate symptom of the fibre optic signal not being passed around the car. As Clan said, remove the other bit you installed.

Is the other bit you installed a Dension unit? If so, is the power working to it? If there is no power going to it, then it won't pass the signal back around, so the entire system shuts down.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 22:19   #4
mcd0minguez

Angry re:

the iSimple unit does not connect to the radio. I tapped in power/ground from cigarette lighter.

I checked all wires and unhooked car battery for 2 hours... still nothing

Just blank screen but button are illuminated. I can get into menu settings but that's all
Old Jul 6th, 2012, 22:33   #5
Beavis
Premier Member

so is it an FM modulator?

Did you have to remove or unplug any of the orange fibre optic cables? are they all in the correct place?

if you removed the headunit, did you make sure that none of the orange cables are kinked?

the only thing i can suggest is to try and check that there is a red light coming from the icm, and then into each of the various modules - mini disc/cd changed/phone (behind the climate unit)/sat nav/amplifier (under drivers seat)/sub/antennae module.

(its sounds identical symptoms to trouble i had. 2 dealers diagnosed an ICM failure. But it turned out to be the subwoofer module had packed up. I managed to obtain an "Optical Loop", and then stuck that in place of the sub, and mine now works.)
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 19:45   #6
mcd0minguez

Default re: radio

I have unplugged the fm modulator I tried to install.

I have checked all wires behind the radio and the antenna in the roof and all fiber optic cables are in place.

1 out of the 2 orange fiber optic cables are flashing a light through

here is a picture of the message I currently get from my radio...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (235.4 KB, 11 views)
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 19:51   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

if you take the fibre optic plug out of the ICM ( display ) and turn ignition on does it send out red light pulses for a few seconds ? If so its probably ok .
You need to take this to the dealer who is the only source who knows how this works and how to diagnose what is wrong .
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 20:59   #8
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You need to take this to the dealer who is the only source who knows how this works and how to diagnose what is wrong .
either that, or have a hunt around on the other threads S60/V70/XC60 forums to see if anyones got a version of Vida/Dice. As i've mentioned before, 2 dealers Swindon (Johnsons)* & Chippenham (MRG)* told me they were 99% certain my ICM had gone and both quoted me c.£925-1100 for repair, but couldn't guarantee it would fix it, but both would have been happy to take this payment. 4 months later, and i'd invested in my own (cough) version (ebay vida dice - about £135) and i'd worked out it was the subwoofer, which with a £15 optical loop got the system working.

I don't have a problem naming these so don't care about kind of legal threats by naming them.

I had a back up plan in place, so in the meantime i had bought a USA version ICM 2nd hand for £230 delivered inc taxes, and successfully installed it and it worked.

So by all means, pay your £50 for dealer diagnosis, but don't take their word for it unless they offer a money back guarantee on the cost of repair.

Clan, i believe some technicians are worth their weight in gold but only if the dealership invests time and money into decent training and customer problems are investigated. I believe Volvo technical support should have at the very least suggested that 1 of these dealers check this subwoofer, or any other module, but as the plug in diagnosis showed the whole circuit down they didn't bother looking further. I'll now only set foot in a dealer to collect a part or if i need a software download.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 21:31   #9
mcd0minguez

Question re:

[QUOTE=Clan;1204078]if you take the fibre optic plug out of the ICM ( display ) and turn ignition on does it send out red light pulses for a few seconds ? QUOTE]

The ICM flashes light out of only 1 bulb steadily every second and does not stop.

I also hardwired a standard antenna to the volvo antenna in the rear headliner. I also unplugged that fiber optic cable and what seemed to be a ground in order to lower the volvo antenna and work on my work bench.

I have not checked out the factory amplifier or subwoofer.

The ICM also allows me to get into the settings on the radio. I can adjust bass, treble, fader balance... I can also adjust cd settings such as playback options... no sound comes out what so ever.
Old Mar 9th, 2017, 20:26   #10
knightofthelight

Default Rear Fiber optics to AM/FM unit

The fiber optics cable going to the radio unit in the rear ceiling connected to the antenna has no red light flashing at all!!!
What is the route of this fiber optic cable?
Mark
knightofthelight is offline   Reply With Quote