Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR Blanked - Ongoing report

Views : 6269

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2015, 21:19   #21
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAN60 View Post
So far so good, 120 miles down and still spotless.

I noticed the oil around the mixer tube from the rubber pipe which connects to it. This has been through the parts cleaner this afternoon and is also spotless now. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

Rich

The hose seems to take a set from the cooling chamber and if it isn't put back on exactly right will leak oil. Hard enough with originals, bit more difficult perhaps with a spare chamber thrown in.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2015, 22:00   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I'm going to order this kit of two blanking plates so I've got the option to fit a drilled version if it throws an emissions error message: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-...item19f23429fc
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:17   #23
RAN60
Master Member

Right i have some live data feeds from my car which has the EGR blanked off.

Maybe useful for other someone else for other applications too?

I thought the top left dial was inlet temperature, but turns out it is inlet pressure, sorry. But this maybe useful as the EGR hole is now plugged up!

It turns out there is a fault stored on my car regarding the EGR, but there isnt any warning triangle up on the dash and the performance has only improved on the car so far.

Still too early to tell if im saving fuel, but the car definitely feels more responsive.

At Idle

At 1500RPM

At 2000RPM

At 3000RPM

Stored Code

Rich
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 11:54   #24
Brendan W
Premier Member

I was half expecting that the egr valve could get plugged with soot and not be able to complete it's travel.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2015, 12:04   #25
RAN60
Master Member

The EGR doesnt get that hot anymore despite the port being blocked on the Mixer side. I can only assume the exhaust gas will now take the path of least resistance, straight out the exhaust pipe instead of into the EGR valve.

There must be a flow sensor in there somewhere that is recognising the fact that now exhaust is getting out the other end.

It cant be that much of an error or that important to the car as there is no warning displayed on the DIM and no amber triangle.

Rich
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 12:31   #26
Montymax

Dear RAN60
My EGR blanking plate came this morning.
Please could you post your latest report on how your car is doing.
thank you.
Montymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 12:52   #27
RAN60
Master Member

So, 500+ miles down.

The car is running absolutely faultless, there is definitely more power on motorways/top end of rev band.

Say you are cruising at 70mph and need to overtake, it seems to have more "go" than before as if it can breathe better. Low end power seems more responsive too.

MPG has stayed pretty much the same though, no real gain here if anything it has dropped by about 0.2mpg but that could be fuel/driving/anything related.

Code reader is logging a fault for "insufficient flow" but i have had no error messages on the dash and no change in drivability at all, even when booting it....upto the prescribed speed limit of course.

I will try and get a pick of the pipe later tonight but its still clean as a whistle!
The Following User Says Thank You to RAN60 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 13:19   #28
Coventry
Master Member

I've also had my EGR blanked at this point for thousands of miles on my 2002 D5. It is not as clear cut as made out earlier regarding the E3 and E4 engines: it would seem that the later E3 engines do put a warning message/light on the dashboard, probably from ~2003 onwards. That's why the blanking plate with a hole is sold. The earlier ones do not put a message or light on but do store a code when checked with Vida (or a cheapie eBay reader). I posted about the code before but can't remember it now. I've noticed this pattern for over a year, since I blanked mine.

No running issues, no other faults or ill effects and it's totally blanked. No more soot in the inlet tract.

Edit: found my old post and it was ECM 4405 that remains stored when the EGR is fully blanked on a 2002 D5. As said, no dashboard signs at all.

Last edited by Coventry; Apr 14th, 2015 at 13:22.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coventry For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 23:27   #29
Montymax

Hi RAN60
I have just come back from my first run with the EGR valve blanked off and I am getting a message saying emissions service required.
My car is a 2001 V70 D5. I don't know if to run it for a while and see if it goes away or to drill a hole in the blanking plate.
Stuart
Montymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 23:52   #30
Coventry
Master Member

Very interesting. It may not be the case that early D5s are immune from the DIM message after all... I wonder why some do and some don't.
Coventry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5 egr, egr blanking, egr mixer, egr problems, egr valve