Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What the feck have i done??

Views : 7768

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 19:13   #71
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Add a code reader and your all set
now ya getting clever lol .then where is the fun
mike
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 20:37   #72
stutgart69
Master Member

Default stutgart69 in fixing shocker!!

Originally Posted by stutgart69
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpjDIfJP-kI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TDRHhbJdg

Maybe , just maybe fixed!
How did I do it? Not got a clue!
After confirming that my TCG was fecked (see pic below), and Mike sent me his to try, I connected it all up and still the car wouldn't run right ,still smokey and very sluggish. Rather strangely though when driving I was getting no boost at all until it hit 3000rpm and then the turbo kicked in and off I went hurtling towards a road end at 1000 mph lol.
So I decided to do some testing again with the vac gauge.
I took off the vac pipe going to turbo and connected the vac gauge to the outport of the TCG (everything else connected as it should be) , and the readings were all to ****. It was showing 25hg at startup which was fine but when I revved the engine the vac went down to about 10hg (ok) but stid there when I let the revs drop to idle again (should have went back to 25 hg) The first video shows this happening.
I shut the engine off and started a new video and it seemed to clear itself and behaved as it should do (see second video) . Try as I might I couldn't get it to stick again at 10 hg.
So I took it for another drive and it went like a damn rocket! Full boost in every gear. Strange but true!
Anyway all seems to be OK for the moment so heres hoping it stays that way.
Thanks to everyone who tried to help , and a special big thanks to Outnumbered who I reckon deserves an MBE for his services to the Volvo community lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCG-00001.jpg (248.3 KB, 16 views)
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 20:45   #73
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

glad its sorted for you Stuart untill the next fix.
mike
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 21:39   #74
TiredGeek
Master Member

I have this vague memory of someone else posting something like this ages ago, I can't even remember if it was on this forum.
As far as I remember, a few squirts of WD40 down the pipe to the vanes freed them off and then it ran fine....

I know on mine I have electronic control of the vanes but you have vacuum control so it might make sense. Mike will pop along soon and give us the benefit of his brilliance and thoughts on this idea....

I wonder if the vanes on your turbo have been stuck and that's what destroyed your TCG? All the messing with guages etc have made them free off?

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:54   #75
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
a few squirts of WD40 down the pipe to the vanes freed them off and then it ran fine....
I reckon this is definatley worth a try . It would be a 10 minute job and cost nothing more than a can of spray . Saves all the hassle of taking turbos off and stripping and cleaning them.
The only thing that worries me is the risk of it going up in flames , since all these sprays are flammable and the turbo does get rather hot .
Maybe someone will be brave (silly) enough to try it lol and let us know what happens.
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 15:35   #76
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ist2_5899019-firing-squad.jpg (23.7 KB, 4 views)