Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

transmission oil?

Views : 1221

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:39   #11
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupertfinch View Post
But that's because you have established a rapport with your main dealer and this takes time and a few orders.

My request for 'what is your best price' on parts over the phone was met with - 'that is what they cost' and I paid full whack. Whereas after a face to face exchange I would feel more confident to return and try better haggling. Some dealers are better than others at this (from my experience of Peugeot 205 gtis).

So talk to your local dealer first and see what can be done, if they turn out to be unmoveable, then shop about!
like ive said before call FRF Volvo and get the C3 discount. Were not all n00bs on here you know some of us even designed jet engine parts and used to race and make parts for motorbikes. I for one like ive said have been stung by the oh ill get non oem parts as there bound to be ok syndrome and like ive said my wallet will tell the tales of having to replace parts very early than you may expect. Of course i don't buy Volvo oil that would be educatedly stupid as high spec oil is oil whoever makes it. But why replace a part twice at a cost of £35 adding the labour cost twice to when you can buy genuine for £45 and only do it once? Well at least for the next 12 years like the last part lasted :P

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 21:50   #12
DrDeAtH

+1 to that

OEM parts are developed with millions of dollars spent on them....

Pattern parts are not.

One part fits and works first time, every time....
One doesnt... and that wont be the OEM part.
DrDeAtH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 23:22   #13
rupertfinch

No Dog Book I think you've misinterpreted me. I do fully appreciate all your info about oem parts and its likely I'll be fitting such items in future, especially as the Volvos are such refined machines that don't appear to take kindly to any old bits.

The purpose of my post wasn't to run down volvo dealers at all, far from it. It was about the importance of establishing a relationship with a parts desk. And as we all know, some are more obliging than others. If a local dealer isn't inclined to be as flexible, then there will be other fish in the sea. But a good relationship is beneficial to both parties as 960kgs post demonstrated.

Furthermore I would not be arrogant as to think of members of this forum as n00bs whether or not they design jet engines or clean lavatories. Although I did once know a missile designer and he couldn't find his arse with both hands, but I digress. I have already found his forum invaluable and will continue to do so, it is I who is a n00b in this turbo charged world.
rupertfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 19:01   #14
Dog_Book
Idiot

Yeah i quite liked it once when i chucked this dosser out of a pub in Nottingham. He was calling me thick cos i was a doorman (only do it once every 3 months now cos i hate the job now) and he said all doormen were thick. He couldn't answer when i pointed out he was outside i was in and i have parts in the Trent 500 jet engine lolol. That shut him up.

But no really FRF are dead helpfull will give you a quote with no pressure to buy. Unless its big money i just order it straight away then search ebay and other online parts companys and laugh how much i saved and i have just gotten original parts.

The trouble is i never though id have the car 6 years so those cheap fix's have now started costing me double.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 20:37   #15
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Yeah i quite liked it once when i chucked this dosser out of a pub in Nottingham. He was calling me thick cos i was a doorman (only do it once every 3 months now cos i hate the job now) and he said all doormen were thick. He couldn't answer when i pointed out he was outside i was in and i have parts in the Trent 500 jet engine lolol. That shut him up.

But no really FRF are dead helpfull will give you a quote with no pressure to buy. Unless its big money i just order it straight away then search ebay and other online parts companys and laugh how much i saved and i have just gotten original parts.

The trouble is i never though id have the car 6 years so those cheap fix's have now started costing me double.
I think RUFE is the exception to the rule, as most Volvo dealers don't haggle over prices and are more expensive than the Internet companies, although they can get parts overnight.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote