Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Tyres

Views : 1336

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 13:39   #1
putnam

Default New Tyres

Whats the general opinion on where to mount a pair of new tyres on an S60 with it being a front wheel drive car..?...the front or rear...?..or is there no hard and fast rule ?...
putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 13:43   #2
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Definitely on the drive wheels and the best you can afford too,

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 13:44   #3
imac
Premier Member

You're actually meant to put them on the back for FWD cars, but I've put my new ones on the front anyway!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 13:45   #4
GregE102
VOC Member

Smile Front or Back?

Hi

Good question, but i once watched a promgam on C5 with Tiff N,dellboy or what ever his name is and after lots of tests they came to the conclusion its safer to have good tyers on the back, Don't ask me why i can't remember, but that was the result and bear in mind this was a couple of years ago now.

Greg
GregE102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 14:25   #5
timh30

I think the theory is a tyre failure/blowout is easier to control on a front wheel rather than a rear wheel, as you can steer the front but not the rear. Hence from a risk point of view it is safer to put the newer tyres on the rear as this 'should' have a lower risk of failure than an older used tyre.

In reality I imagine the risk is far less than made out to be, but in the litigious society we live in, legally covering your ar*e is all that counts.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 15:15   #6
I-S
Premier Member

Always on the back, regardless of whether the car is FWD, RWD or 4WD (although in that case you should be replacing all four at once anyway...).

Reason is that a tyre with 4mm tread has rather less grip than one with 7-8mm tread in the wet.

Then it's a matter of what happens in an adverse situation: If you have more grip at the front than the back then the back will step out. If you have more grip at the back than the front then you'll understeer. You're more likely to come out better from the latter.

Now, if you buy one pair, put them on the back and move the old back tyres to the front and then 3000 miles later you replace the older pair then it doesn't really matter if you put them on the front because in 3000 miles you'll have worn the new rears so little that the difference is irrelevant. But if you've got 15000 mile old tyres on the back and worn out tyres on the front, move the backs to the front and new tyres on the back.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 16:00   #7
A- W

New tyres as others have said should go on the back, a couple of reasons,
1 - The first is that you dont want the back to step out because of lack of grip, obviously in certain conditions the back with let go if pushed which is very dangerous. You have good tyres on the back the car 'should' tend to understeer long before the spin. Then you only have to worry about lift off oversteer ;-)
2 - Also that you then wear the rears out on the front so that they dont perish over time. So therefore you are being economical with your tyres because your getting the best out of them.

Does that make sense?
A- W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 18:33   #8
Hashluck

Hidden away in most User Manuals Volvo state new tyres on rear (as do Saab).
Hashluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 21:13   #9
seany
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregE102 View Post
Hi

Good question, but i once watched a promgam on C5 with Tiff N,dellboy or what ever his name is and after lots of tests they came to the conclusion its safer to have good tyers on the back, Don't ask me why i can't remember, but that was the result and bear in mind this was a couple of years ago now.

Greg
Under braking manouvres, all the weight is transferred onto the front wheels, lightening the load on the rears, so a better rear tread depth means less chance of loss of traction/aquaplaning in wet conditions on the rear end .... it doesn't really make much difference in the dry tbh!

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 23:11   #10
putnam

Thumbs up New Tyres

Well it looks like we have got a consensus....they go on the back....thanks to all who replied to my question...
putnam is offline   Reply With Quote