Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anybody out there with the Volvo 10disc cd changer?

Views : 630

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 16:02   #1
paulstorer

Question Anybody out there with the Volvo 10disc cd changer?

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help so far...unbeknown to anyone who's replied to my recent posts you've been helping me with the world's strangest, most difficult and most thankless audio install ever!

Anyway, if you have an S60 or V70 with a 10-disc CD changer, I'd quite like to know how you got it to power up. My car doesn't have any prewiring, but I've bought the DIN connector, which fits fine. However, getting the power in (a little blue 5-pin socket I believe) is slightly trickier.

How have people got round this? If you know which pin does what then I'd be most grateful. I know there should be a permanent 12V supply, a switched 12V supply and a ground, but not much more!!

I'd be unbelievably grateful if someone has a plug for such a socket (out of a car with prewiring that doesn't or won't ever need it) that they would consider selling to me!!

Anyway, if you know anything that you think would be the slightest bit helpful please share your wisdom with me.

Kindest regards,

Paul

Last edited by paulstorer; Sep 13th, 2006 at 16:04.
paulstorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 19:24   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Just as a guide, if you have the powered window ariel in the back of your car, you will find there may be a way to power the CD changer from that supply.
That was how my first CD Changer was powered in the V90.
However, that was swopped (skipping cd's) and I also found the din lead and power cable tucked away safely under wadding...

It may be worth checking if the power and din cable are actually hidden away for you are they will likely have been installed anyway.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 20:40   #3
timh30

Where abouts would the din cable be located in the rear?

I have an Alpine 6 CD changer which I was hoping to connect up since I believe the Volvo changers are just rebadged Apline ones? I was expecting to have to route the cable it has the length of the vehicle - but obviously if it may already be present that would be a bonus.

If the din connector is present already, does that also imply it is also connected to the back of the radio unit ?
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 22:23   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Well, when I got my V90 there was no CD changer.
Went out and got one second hand which had that afore mentioned power connection to the window based ariel.
Found the din cable already installed in the car after routing one back from the rear to the b pillar. Yes, I decided to check the connections on the back of the head unit and lo.. there was the cable already plugged in.
Went to the back and had a god dig round ans found it and a power cable neatly hidden away under sound-proofing and clipped tidy and neat and well hidden.

So , the changer is in the boot on the drivers side in the V90. Worth checking both sides of your boot area near the rear wheel arches for the cabling. And it will likely be clipped in place.
But do check the back of your head unit first as you will see if the cable is there already or not..
Look inside the hole as it maybe the case the cable has not been plugged in? Or has been unplugged..?

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote