Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86946

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2020, 08:25   #411
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarctor View Post
First time on here in a while. So driving back from my Mandated Daily Exercise today our 2014 XC60 D4 lost virtually all power and went into limp mode. Stuttering, stalling couldn't get it above 5mph

Made it the 1/2 mile or so home (mostly coasting) and almost, but not quite, up our drive. Only then did I notice strong rubbery burning smell....

Volvo Assistance have been and taken it away on a flatbed to a dealer 20 miles away as ours is shut due to COVID.

We shall see what they have to say but sounds very inlet manifold recallish to me?!
Had you not already responded to the manifold recall?

My first thought was EGR valve sticking open, because that happened to mine and caused those running symptoms (although no burning smell). Any warning lights?
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:05   #412
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
First time on here in a while. So driving back from my Mandated Daily Exercise today our 2014 XC60 D4 lost virtually all power and went into limp mode. Stuttering, stalling couldn't get it above 5mph

Made it the 1/2 mile or so home (mostly coasting) and almost, but not quite, up our drive. Only then did I notice strong rubbery burning smell....

Volvo Assistance have been and taken it away on a flatbed to a dealer 20 miles away as ours is shut due to COVID.

We shall see what they have to say but sounds very inlet manifold recallish to me?!
not on an old model 5 cylinder xc60... rubber sounds like belt trouble , how many miles has it done?
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:32   #413
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
not on an old model 5 cylinder xc60... rubber sounds like belt trouble , how many miles has it done?
According to bobarctor's signature, it's a VEA engine.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:46   #414
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
oh yes well he said it was a 2014 .. He is strongly advised to leave the car at a dealer , or get it picked up ,although shut, they have plans in place for such things ..
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 11:01   #415
bobarctor

Thanks both.

Quote:

My first thought was EGR valve sticking open, because that happened to mine and caused those running symptoms (although no burning smell). Any warning lights?
No, I had the letter and slack I know but hadn't got around to taking it in.

I was focused on getting it home (!) but no warning lights I recall other than reduced power tortoise symbol & "maintenance required" message.

Quote:
Indeed, it's a VEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
oh yes well he said it was a 2014 .. He is strongly advised to leave the car at a dealer , or get it picked up ,although shut, they have plans in place for such things ..
As I said, Volvo Assistance have already taken it away to an open dealer further away from us.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 11:30   #416
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Thanks both.

No, I had the letter and slack I know but hadn't got around to taking it in.

I was focused on getting it home (!) but no warning lights I recall other than reduced power tortoise symbol & "maintenance required" message.

Indeed, it's a VEA

As I said, Volvo Assistance have already taken it away to an open dealer further away from us.
In which case you've followed the recall instructions! Good luck and hopefully the repair will be free?
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 19:12   #417
Buckshot61

I havenīt read the whole thread, but i decided to not do this update. Iīve read too many horrorstories about problems after the update. I have a 2017 S60 D4 with 20000 km. It seems that your damned if you do and damned if you donīt. As a previous 2012 Honda Civic owner i didnīt have those problems.
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 20:12   #418
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot61 View Post
I havenīt read the whole thread, but i decided to not do this update. Iīve read too many horrorstories about problems after the update. I have a 2017 S60 D4 with 20000 km. It seems that your damned if you do and damned if you donīt. As a previous 2012 Honda Civic owner i didnīt have those problems.
What horror stories exactly? Aren't you worried about the manifold catching fire or any of the lesser issues (they found my swirl flaps were becoming seized and so I got a complete new manifold)? How about the resale value of a car that's not had recall work done?

As a former Honda (Accord) owner myself I'd say you were lucky then... Honda diesels have trouble with clutches, EGR cooler pipe cracking and DPF issues. And then a timing chain broke and destroyed my engine.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 14:47   #419
bobarctor

Quote:

So we have a prizewinner: exactly correct diagnosis! From worksheet:"found EGR valve stuck open causing poor running and smell"

Dealer wants Ģ830 for a new EGR vale and gaskets. I'm going to take it up with Volvo UK before authorising as not very happy - I realise the car is 6 years old but they clearly have fundamental design issues here, it's already had an (admittedly free) replacement EGR cooler in late 2018
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:02   #420
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
So we have a prizewinner: exactly correct diagnosis! From worksheet:"found EGR valve stuck open causing poor running and smell"

Dealer wants Ģ830 for a new EGR vale and gaskets. I'm going to take it up with Volvo UK before authorising as not very happy - I realise the car is 6 years old but they clearly have fundamental design issues here, it's already had an (admittedly free) replacement EGR cooler in late 2018
Disappointingly I only got a 50% goodwill contribution from Volvo UK when my EGR valve needed replacement. It really should be free as it's part of the excess soot problem that affects the whole intake system on these VEA engines... I got a 100% contribution on the EGR cooler and intake manifold/swirl valve assembly, so why not the valve?

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4