Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 V70 Electrical Problems

Views : 2136

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2009, 17:31   #1
rweiss
Cyclingthru

Default 2002 V70 Electrical Problems

Hi,

I have a 2002 V70 with numerous electrical problems and I desperately need help!

The problems started slowly but seem to be getting worse as time goes by.

It started with my radio display and the ability to use the steering wheel to adjust radio. When I would first start the car the radio display would be extremely dim so that it was nearly impossible to see the display. After a while, it seemed like the radio needed to warm up, the display would work normally and so would the steering wheel controls.

After a couple of weeks or so my turn signals did not work and then only one blinker would come on (I believe it was the right) the turn indicator on the steering wheel was in the neutral position. The right turn signal kept flashing no matter where the turn indicator on the steering wheel was pointing. At the same time my radio was also not displaying properly. I had to use the car to pick up my daughter so I ran with 4-way flashers and used hand signals. I turned car off when I picked her up and when I restarted it both radio and turn signals worked properly.

The radio continued to be a problem, but I think that was the only time I had a problem with the turn signals going when indicator was in neutral position.

Then after a number of weeks my front passenger door went dead. Door lock, window and mirror did not work. Again, I was still having problems with the radio and it having to warm up. The door didn't have the same warm up issue. It just didn't work.

Then after a number of more weeks the radio no longer started working after the warmup period.

Then after a number of more weeks my turn signals stopped working. Also the washers would only turn on and off, delay did not work and neither would the windshield washer. I found that if I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, Signal lights, right door, wipers and washers would work okay for a day or two.

I took car in a number of times and dealer wanted to replace radio, steering wheel module (SWM) for a huge cost. I did not want to replace a radio just because of display and he refused to change SWM only so I left. When turn signals stopped working I took it in again and since the right door was also a problem he again wanted to replace all things for an even bigger cost.

It just did not make sense to me that everything would be going at roughly the same time and took it to another dealer. The dealer agreed that it did not add up. He suggested we try to replace only SWM since everything goes through it. I had the work done a few days ago.

Unfortunately that only fixed the turn signal problem. I can live without the radio as everything is preset, but wiper/washers and door locks are a problem.

Actually, now I found that might right front door does not always unlock when using the remote. All other doors (except of course the right door which is dead) work fine. After using the key, the remote unlocks the drivers door fine for a day or two.

Today I went out to use the car and the remote did not unlock any of the doors - strange. I unlocked the door, got in and tried to start the car. Instead of the car starting the alarm sounded. It only sounded for a short time, but it did not respond to the remote and the car will not start. I tried unhooking the battery and rehooking it up, but same outcome, alarm and everything else dead. Nothing on the console lit up which I also strange. Normally it lights up when you turn the ignition past lock.

I don't know what to do. I thought I checked the batter towards the beginning of this problem and found it seemed fully charged. When I went back out a little while later to try other things I decided to charge it up and it seems to need it. Very low battery and it was replaced just a few months ago.

I charged the battery for 3-4 hours and was able to start it. So I must now have a electrical drainage problem on top of everything else! I did not use the car yesterday, but was using it for a couple of short trips the previous day. I did check the alternator and it seems to be working.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing these problems?

Thanks, Randy

Last edited by rweiss; Sep 26th, 2009 at 17:49. Reason: Updated to say battery was drained
rweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rweiss For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 18:57   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think you may get better response by posting in the 2000> forum, maybe a mod can move it for you.

First thing I'd do is check the battery voltage, and look for damage to the CAN network cables on the tunnel side of the drivers seat, maybe passenger side for LHD car.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 20:08   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

yes this seems a network problem rather than a faulty component , when the radio looses its display illumination it means it is no longer communicatiing with the rest of the car , hence the steering wheel buttons not responding.
The door lock on the drivers door could be faulty too .
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 20:17   #4
rweiss
Cyclingthru

Thanks Chris & Clan,

I am not very technical, how do I check the network cables? What am I looking for? The last mechanic I took it to thought the problem was with the SWM and replaced that. It did fix my blinker problem, but nothing else.

Thanks, Randy
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 23:00   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

It could be one of the modules on the network , you could unplug the door module in the door , see if the rest of the system works ok ...

the two network cables are whit and green twisted together and go to all the main modules . If you can catch it not working try checking the voltage on each with respect to earth . one should be 2.2v and the other 2.8 v when all is well .
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 00:53   #6
rweiss
Cyclingthru

I will have to get a shop manual to know where to find these modules. Do you recomend one? I think I would like to get one by Volvo, but I am not sure where to find them.

Thanks again, Randy
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 07:41   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

volvo stopped publishing paper manuals about 10 years ago except for wiring diagrams which you can still buy ..
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 09:01   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have a look here for the wiring diagrams:

http://mojevolvo.pl/wiki/Volvo_V70

Buying one of these to read any fault codes present will also help diagnose the problem.

http://www.ppc-diagnostic.com/
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:44   #9
britbker
volvo master technican

these cars i have worked on from new and they do have some strange stuff.i have a repair shop of my own so i know what you are going through.First i usually reset electrical equipement by removing the connector from it with the ignition of this does not include srs .Then i plug it back in after about 30seconds ,checking that the connector is ok.this oftern resets most things usually then i would check to see if any software has been developed for the communication loss that you are having .I would do that before changing parts as that will fix more things than just swapping parts that can make things worse .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rweiss View Post
Hi,

I have a 2002 V70 with numerous electrical problems and I desperately need help!

The problems started slowly but seem to be getting worse as time goes by.

It started with my radio display and the ability to use the steering wheel to adjust radio. When I would first start the car the radio display would be extremely dim so that it was nearly impossible to see the display. After a while, it seemed like the radio needed to warm up, the display would work normally and so would the steering wheel controls.

After a couple of weeks or so my turn signals did not work and then only one blinker would come on (I believe it was the right) the turn indicator on the steering wheel was in the neutral position. The right turn signal kept flashing no matter where the turn indicator on the steering wheel was pointing. At the same time my radio was also not displaying properly. I had to use the car to pick up my daughter so I ran with 4-way flashers and used hand signals. I turned car off when I picked her up and when I restarted it both radio and turn signals worked properly.

The radio continued to be a problem, but I think that was the only time I had a problem with the turn signals going when indicator was in neutral position.

Then after a number of weeks my front passenger door went dead. Door lock, window and mirror did not work. Again, I was still having problems with the radio and it having to warm up. The door didn't have the same warm up issue. It just didn't work.

Then after a number of more weeks the radio no longer started working after the warmup period.

Then after a number of more weeks my turn signals stopped working. Also the washers would only turn on and off, delay did not work and neither would the windshield washer. I found that if I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, Signal lights, right door, wipers and washers would work okay for a day or two.

I took car in a number of times and dealer wanted to replace radio, steering wheel module (SWM) for a huge cost. I did not want to replace a radio just because of display and he refused to change SWM only so I left. When turn signals stopped working I took it in again and since the right door was also a problem he again wanted to replace all things for an even bigger cost.

It just did not make sense to me that everything would be going at roughly the same time and took it to another dealer. The dealer agreed that it did not add up. He suggested we try to replace only SWM since everything goes through it. I had the work done a few days ago.

Unfortunately that only fixed the turn signal problem. I can live without the radio as everything is preset, but wiper/washers and door locks are a problem.

Actually, now I found that might right front door does not always unlock when using the remote. All other doors (except of course the right door which is dead) work fine. After using the key, the remote unlocks the drivers door fine for a day or two.

Today I went out to use the car and the remote did not unlock any of the doors - strange. I unlocked the door, got in and tried to start the car. Instead of the car starting the alarm sounded. It only sounded for a short time, but it did not respond to the remote and the car will not start. I tried unhooking the battery and rehooking it up, but same outcome, alarm and everything else dead. Nothing on the console lit up which I also strange. Normally it lights up when you turn the ignition past lock.

I don't know what to do. I thought I checked the batter towards the beginning of this problem and found it seemed fully charged. When I went back out a little while later to try other things I decided to charge it up and it seems to need it. Very low battery and it was replaced just a few months ago.

I charged the battery for 3-4 hours and was able to start it. So I must now have a electrical drainage problem on top of everything else! I did not use the car yesterday, but was using it for a couple of short trips the previous day. I did check the alternator and it seems to be working.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing these problems?

Thanks, Randy
britbker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 20:50   #10
rweiss
Cyclingthru

Thanks for the links Chris. I think I found the one I need - I wish the webpage was in English, but it is great. I will go through it and see if I understand it. I was looking at a PPC readers. My concerns is that I will see what the volvo techs see. The dealership I used to take my car to wanted to change everything that was displaying a fault and I don't know if that will fix my problem and think it might be something else. I did have another dealership change the SWM since they thought it might be the cause of all the problems. Unfortunately it only corrected my turn signal problem.

Actually after they changed the SWM I am now having a problem with my climate control. When the air conditioner is running the air is coming out of the floor instead of the vents on the dash. Yesterday when I found my battery dead, I had to disconnect the battery and charge the system and my climate control worked again - that is until this morning...

Britbker, You are right, when I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, most things start working again. When I took the car into the shop they did the same thing and replaced the SWM and then connected the battery back up. The only thing that started working again was the turn signals - that is a good thing, but I am concerned that it will start malfunctioning soon because I haven't gotten to the root of the problem yet.

Thanks for your input,
Randy