Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 AWD 1996

Views : 1913

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 15:56   #1
MrCave

Default Volvo 850 AWD 1996

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum and am looking to get a bit more information about the Volvo 850 AWD and it's worth these days.

I have one and the head gasket has gone. I am currently fitting a new one and overhauling the entire engine.

The car has a little bid of body work damage but over all is solid all round.

My question to you guys is. What is the value of a good condition/immaculate 850 AWD and is it worth me spending the time and money on it.

I got the car with full service history.

Look forward to hearing some more information about the car!

Charlie.
MrCave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 11:04   #2
amazondean
amazondean

The 850 AWD is quite rare now. This is because the AWD makes the car complicated and has a high failure rate, plus can be expensive to put right. Their really isn't any need for the AWD anyway.

The value for a really nice one may be around £2000 max, but I would suspect a good decent honest example to be more like £1500 max.

It would be worth posting some good photos with close ups, showing the true condition of the vehicle to gauge a more realistic value
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 13:49   #3
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Wink Actual number - confirmed by Volvo Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
The 850 AWD is quite rare now. This is because the AWD makes the car complicated and has a high failure rate, plus can be expensive to put right. Their really isn't any need for the AWD anyway.

The value for a really nice one may be around £2000 max, but I would suspect a good decent honest example to be more like £1500 max.

It would be worth posting some good photos with close ups, showing the true condition of the vehicle to gauge a more realistic value
Hi Lads, though I know this is adding to an old posting from May, and noting that the original poster hasn't been online since then, I'm going to respond anyhow.

Okay, as I own one of these 855 AWD models I did research into the model back in 2017 and wrote to Volvo Sweden, who responded fairly quickly to my initial email.

Exact breakdown of these cars is as follows:

Mfg timeline June 1996 to December 1996

Number of units: 2021

Number of LHD units: 1,712

Number of RHD units: 309

For RHD units:
  • 245 were sold in the UK market
  • 64 units were sold to other right hand drive regions world wide
  • 5 of those were sold into the Republic of Ireland

*Of the 5 that were sold into southern Ireland, mine is the last of the original 5 imported as new still in Ireland. Currently undergoing a bottom up full engine rebuild so am looking forward to having mine on the road again come December when I'll be bringing it to me to southern Germany on a permanent basis from Jan 2020.

So as you can see, those numbers are pretty interesting as it shows their rarity, more so as right hand drive models.

Hope this helps any future query into this particular model.

Last edited by Darth Vol; Aug 8th, 2019 at 13:54.
Darth Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth Vol For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 13:29   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Just in case you're interested (and apologies for butting in), but I have a spare manual AWD gearbox & bevel box that has been in the shed for many many years. I was going to do an auto>manual conversion of my old phase 1 V70R AWD - it was described as working perfectly and the bevels looked fine (at the time).

IIRC, it'd suit the 850 AWD and phase 1 V70 AWD.

Open to offers for it, but it'll need to be collected from Doncaster. PM me if you're interested
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 15:29   #5
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Just in case you're interested (and apologies for butting in), but I have a spare manual AWD gearbox & bevel box that has been in the shed for many many years. I was going to do an auto>manual conversion of my old phase 1 V70R AWD - it was described as working perfectly and the bevels looked fine (at the time).

IIRC, it'd suit the 850 AWD and phase 1 V70 AWD.

Open to offers for it, but it'll need to be collected from Doncaster. PM me if you're interested
Thanks RollingThunder. I've a spare viscous coupling myself and I rebuilt the gearbox, bevel transfer box about 2 years ago with new bearings, added new transfer sleeve, and changed the bearings on the central prop shaft so am good. May be good for someone else out there. Many thanks.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 16:39   #6
Muscas
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vol View Post
Hi Lads, though I know this is adding to an old posting from May, and noting that the original poster hasn't been online since then, I'm going to respond anyhow.

Okay, as I own one of these 855 AWD models I did research into the model back in 2017 and wrote to Volvo Sweden, who responded fairly quickly to my initial email.

Exact breakdown of these cars is as follows:

Mfg timeline June 1996 to December 1996

Number of units: 2021

Number of LHD units: 1,712

Number of RHD units: 309

For RHD units:
  • 245 were sold in the UK market
  • 64 units were sold to other right hand drive regions world wide
  • 5 of those were sold into the Republic of Ireland

*Of the 5 that were sold into southern Ireland, mine is the last of the original 5 imported as new still in Ireland. Currently undergoing a bottom up full engine rebuild so am looking forward to having mine on the road again come December when I'll be bringing it to me to southern Germany on a permanent basis from Jan 2020.

So as you can see, those numbers are pretty interesting as it shows their rarity, more so as right hand drive models.

Hope this helps any future query into this particular model.
Did you get your AWD on the road as planned in December?
1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 20:31   #7
Darth Vol
Exploring Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscas View Post
Did you get your AWD on the road as planned in December?
Nope - she’s been slowly worked on as my mechanic mate has been crazy busy so I’ve pushed it out for May when I’m planning to bring it to Bavaria on a permanent basis.

All parts have been sourced so it’s taken a few months to get all I needed. As I’m based in Germany now on a permanent basis I’m using my other car there so I’m happy waiting to get the awd rebuilt correctly and not under rushed conditions.

Just a matter of time now before it is back on the road

Last edited by Darth Vol; Dec 30th, 2019 at 20:36.
Darth Vol is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Vol For This Useful Post: