Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2.0 Diesel R-Design

Views : 2698

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:47   #1
murtonia97-940

Default V70 2.0 Diesel R-Design

This is my first time posting in this forum. Just found it this morning.

We are looking to purchase a V70 2.0 diesel manual. Have thought about the SE or the R-design. What will decide us (because we like both) is whether or not we would be able to tow our little caravan with the R-design.

Has anyone towed with this car and if so were there any problems with the height of the tow ball, bearing in mind the lower suspension.

Would welcome your view.

Thank you.

murtonia97-940
murtonia97-940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:45   #2
Dazzlev70r

I too am new and in same boat lol
I chose the R design literaly as the deal they were doing on motability, not got it yet but read others who give massive thumbs up

If you read some to exceptionaly large vans as it goes so a small one should be no problem

Enquire and consider getting the towbar fitted by the dealer at PDI stage
we found the cheapest twin electric after PDI for £430 and this runs with the stability program built into Volvo

Sorry can help any more personaly but loads here who realy know there Volvos
for what it worth we have a single axle Avondale around 21 foot long and weighing around a tonn and im assured the car will have no issues with it

End of day Volvo been making towing estate cars for decades now, in fact to my mind Volvo and caravans go together like strawberrys and cream despite the new racy image lol
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 13:27   #3
murtonia97-940

Hello Dazzlev70r

Guess what - we are motability too. Bit the bullet and have just ordered the V70 R-design. Could not wait for responses.

Chap at the dealer assured me that lots of buyers of the V70 R-design tow trailers/caravans.

Cannot wait for it to arrive. Isn't it a lovely motor?

PS I wont be getting Volvo to fit the towbar but a firm in Durham which we have used before and can recommend - Hedleys at Dragonville.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 14:21   #4
Dazzlev70r

out of interest how long you gotta wait?
i went with the blue one and added bluetooth and heated seats and was given a 10 week wait slot

the mondeo zetec was over a thousand more and the R design was same price as VW passat est but i feel the Volvo has it
Simply the seating and comfort alone snatched it for me

Warning im told it will be thirsty for first couple of K despite the dealers claiming it does 50 MPG but well all see once they bedded in how the 2.0 fairs
I curently have an Audi A4 and that averedges around 40MPG not the +50 they claim
Ive had a lot of new cars from company this is my first motability and i gotta tell you first time in a long while im excited over a car
So much ive taken a month of work in school holidays and were heading for south france n spain lol
get those pics up when you get it what colour you gone for?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:25   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

For information - my V70 is fitted with 19" HEICO wheels and HEICO lowering springs - and tows superbly - and has no problems with the trailer - as you can see.

dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 09:33   #6
Sandancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtonia97-940 View Post
Hello Dazzlev70r

Guess what - we are motability too. Bit the bullet and have just ordered the V70 R-design. Could not wait for responses.

Chap at the dealer assured me that lots of buyers of the V70 R-design tow trailers/caravans.

Cannot wait for it to arrive. Isn't it a lovely motor?

PS I wont be getting Volvo to fit the towbar but a firm in Durham which we have used before and can recommend - Hedleys at Dragonville.
Be wary of Hedleys - They completely trashed the back bumper of my last car which resulted in them having to pay for a bumper (£400) and me being without my car a week.(a bit of a pain considering the car was only a week old)
I tried a guy at Cold Hesledon who said there shouldn't be any probs with the lower suspension on the R-Design and quoted around £290 for a Witter detachable with 13 pin electrics. He even has the gear for re-mapping if required.
Sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:07   #7
murtonia97-940

Good Morning Sandancer - can you tell me the name of the company at Cold Hesledon because it would be much nearer for us.

Wow dodgyken - that has put my mind at ease.

Dazzelv70 - we havent been quoted a wait time as such, but we can't change our car until June so think there is plenty of time. We have gone for glacier blue. Had thought about seashell but seeing them together the glacier clinched it.

Thanks for responding fellas.

Last edited by murtonia97-940; Mar 9th, 2009 at 10:10.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 12:31   #8
Dazzlev70r

very interested in the remap to be honest not sure what / if anything this does to the warranty but been told both performance and economy get better

Cheap price as ive said mine fitted by Volvo was £430 but that said if they stuff the bumper up its down to them lol
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 21:58   #9
mancunian
stockportv70

Default v70 r-design

hey all first posting newbie here !! i've also got a v70 r-design 2.0D with standard spec on order, had to wait 6 weeks, ordered it in black which doesnt seem that popular but believe me it looks the business, when I get it I'll bang some pics on, gotta mazda 3 sport in black at the mo cant wait to get rid of it for the big fella although to be fair it has been a good motor and pretty quick, 2.0petrol.

Oh, nearly forgot I'm also planning to put a towbar on for a conway trailer tent, been quoted 525 for a detachable by volvo and only 230 for a fixed witter single electrics by northwesttowbars, stockport who apparently are towbar association accredited.

cheers

paul

Last edited by mancunian; Mar 9th, 2009 at 22:00.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 23:41   #10
avtur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancunian View Post
Oh, nearly forgot I'm also planning to put a towbar on for a conway trailer tent, been quoted 525 for a detachable by volvo and only 230 for a fixed witter single electrics by northwesttowbars, stockport who apparently are towbar association accredited.

cheers

paul
I'm another potential V70 owner in Stockport and have already spoken to the guys at northwesttowbars. I have dealt with these guys a few times before, great bunch. Seem to know what they are talking about and are willing to explain advantages of different options.
avtur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avtur For This Useful Post: