Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Much Should I Sell my 1800 for?

Views : 4145

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2009, 06:07   #11
asneddon
Master Member

My Father might be interested in it as well. Hes trying to convince my Mother we need two P1800s in the family!
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 19:18   #12
jimmyjam

Smile how much for my 1800

To the enquiry who said it was full of filler is completely wrong, this car has always been looked after and has been garaged the whole 5 years I have had it and it has not even seen a single drop of rain. And I mean a single drop. I am quite the perfectionist. I am looking at more than £7000 for this baby. Keep the offers coming, if you are interested, that is. Thanks again for your interest.
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 13:00   #13
amazondean
amazondean

I can see a huge amount of work carried out and being a hands on myself for many years i have total respect for what you have done. However one reason why i suspect the car is not quite as tip top as you are trying to claim is that if you cannot be bothered to take the tyres off the wheels before the wheels are painted puts serious doubts in my mind. That is one of the simplest jobs to do and you have taken the quick easy route. A bit strange dont you think!!

Should i be turning up with a magnet>
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 13:08   #14
pdr944

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
I can see a huge amount of work carried out and being a hands on myself for many years i have total respect for what you have done. However one reason why i suspect the car is not quite as tip top as you are trying to claim is that if you cannot be bothered to take the tyres off the wheels before the wheels are painted puts serious doubts in my mind. That is one of the simplest jobs to do and you have taken the quick easy route. A bit strange dont you think!!

what makes you think the tyres have not been taken off ?

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 13:10   #15
amazondean
amazondean

Have you seen the pictures from the link showing masking tape round the wheels and spray paint all over it
Old May 14th, 2009, 16:24   #16
pdr944

Quote:
Have you seen the pictures from the link showing masking tape round the wheels and spray paint all over it
no not seen them.

peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 16:54   #17
jimmyjam

Unhappy Shirty Comments.!! Volvo Value

Dear Amazon Dean. I did not say this was a show car at all, and as far as saying the wheels are not correctly sprayed, well I replaced the tyres with new, and also knew the condition of the metal underneath, which was sound. I am not loaded, so made this car as best I could. I am not looking for stupid comments, I am asking what its worth and generating interest. Please keep your silly comments to yourself. This is meant to be a friendly and supportive forum, and for the period you have been on here you are generally quite helpful. I am surprised and a little upset. Jimmy
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 18:32   #18
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:

You really do love winding people up don't you, 1800 guru?

If you really think Jimmy isn't being straight with the condition of the car, why not go and inspect it before posting inflammatory comments? Going off a random piece of epherma (ooh, the tyres have paint on them, ergo the rest of the car MUST be knackered) strikes me as being pedantic in the extreme.

If I'd had put as much work into that car as Jimmy had, and some patronising soul turned up with a magnet, I wouldn't even let you near it.

But you know, that's just my two pence.

Jimmy, I'd arrange with someone from the VOC to come and value it. Does Gordon Hunter live anywhere near you?
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:19   #19
amazondean
amazondean

Ok, posting pictures to show off is one thing, but when it turns into wanting to sell, it is business. Before i (and anyone else with any sense) am prepared to travel distance i want to know what i am up against and the true condition of the car. I am not going to pussy foot about how shiny the paintwork is and if that offends anyone so be it. I suspect most people who have made comment have no interest in buying the car but i might and if anyone is going to part with several thousend pound, you need to build up an idea of condition.

As already stated, i have full admiration for the work he has done and credit to him. I know what it is all about so i have not been disrespectfull, but with respect i am the buyer and he is the seller.

Regarding the last reply about daft inflammatory comments, just think about what i am trying to assertain.

To the comments on using a magnet: To anyone thinking of buying a car a magnet is one of only two tools absolutely assential. The other is a torch. Rather than slag me off, take advice as i know what i am talking about. You should always use a magnet and don't be ashamed to use it. Paint will hide a multitude of horrers and even with the best intensions regarding a restoration, filler is often used to hide bad repairs. With experience using a magnet will tell you exactly what you need to know and how bad or good things realy are.

So now we have a slightly better understanding of the condition. Jimmyjangs reply has helped me somewhat already. It has clarrified that he is not loaded and restored it as best he could without spending large sums of money. So my view at the moment is that in my opinion the car is now worth no more than £7000. What about the mechanical side of things. Has the engine been rebuilt. Was the engine taken out before the respray and was the engine bay painted too. If no to the above and all is average i would now say the value is touching £6000 +. So on and so on.

Gorden Hunter is definately the best man to help anyone out and he would come along and check every detail and is worth every penny. By the way, he carries a magnet and a torch so be ware!!

Last edited by amazondean; May 15th, 2009 at 09:22.
Old May 15th, 2009, 14:00   #20
austingipsy

Smile

Might be worth mentioning what welding was required ,repair panels used and stuff like that. The best pictures from a buyers point of view would be detailed large scale images taken during the restoration. And a quick list of what's new or new old stock, what's refurbished and rebuilt and what was serviceable and left alone.
A fresh coat of paint on a car will always arouse curiosity in a potential new owner. To be fair to Dean your blog for the 1800 has a caption under a picture of the rubbed down car with the words ... Hope there's nothing too bad under there... You don't actually say if there was anything or not.
So don't be too hurt by his questions, for a car in this price range it's stuff you'll hear from anyone keen on taking it off your hands.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote