Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 865878

Replies : 6376

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 08:36   #261
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I thought the white 240 on the face of it looked good for £2,500. It appears on the surface to look remarkably up and together.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 08:51   #262
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I thought the white 240 on the face of it looked good for £2,500. It appears on the surface to look remarkably up and together.
I agree it looks okay for a 30 year old 230,000 mile car (without having seen it up close). Maybe it will go for a little bit more?

I suppose the downside is that the motor car is still 10 years away from being an historic vehicle, but would probably be a bit expensive (in fuel and spares) to run as a commuter. The market is therefore somewhat small - pretty well people like us :-)

I'll check on the final price this eve and post a report, I think it is a good idea to keep abreast of the market.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 09:59   #263
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Isn't the internet a powerful tool Dave! It would have been almost impossible to discover that information prior to the web.

That white 240 saloon is standing at £1850 with 8 hours of the auction to go. I suppose bidding could either take off of fizzle out, I'll have a look at what happened this eve and report back.

Alan
They used to sell little books (not much bigger than the old booklet-style driving licence but obviously thicker) with a list of the identifiers in, an HMSO publication i believe.
I know many police officers had them (possibly issued by the force?) and i remember seeing them for sale in WH Smith at one point but it's so much easier having the information online.

Just looked at the white 240 myself, no change from when you looked, reserve not met as yet so might have a flurry around lunchtime but it finishes around 2 ish so won't catch the people getting home from work at tea time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 11:32   #264
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
They used to sell little books (not much bigger than the old booklet-style driving licence but obviously thicker) with a list of the identifiers in, an HMSO publication i believe.
I know many police officers had them (possibly issued by the force?) and i remember seeing them for sale in WH Smith at one point but it's so much easier having the information online.

Just looked at the white 240 myself, no change from when you looked, reserve not met as yet so might have a flurry around lunchtime but it finishes around 2 ish so won't catch the people getting home from work at tea time.
... the same went for lots of things Dave: remember car price guides (Parkers? maybe some others) printed in little A5 or A6 size booklets? It all seems so long ago now.

The white 240 is still at £1850, but I suppose people could easily access rBay via their cell phones if they wanted to, so the timing may not matter so much? Saying that, I always prefer to be sat at home watching on a larger screen than trying to navigate a tiny cell phone with my 60 year old eyes :-)
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 13:14   #265
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... the same went for lots of things Dave: remember car price guides (Parkers? maybe some others) printed in little A5 or A6 size booklets? It all seems so long ago now.

The white 240 is still at £1850, but I suppose people could easily access rBay via their cell phones if they wanted to, so the timing may not matter so much? Saying that, I always prefer to be sat at home watching on a larger screen than trying to navigate a tiny cell phone with my 60 year old eyes :-)
I remember Parkers, many of the so-called "facts" were incorrect, can't remember examples now but found many mistakes way back when it was the late 80s/early 90s. Then they seemed to disappear although i vaguely remember a larger version (A4 perhaps?) more like a magazine before it finally got consigned to the annals of automotive history.

I'm very much the same as you Alan, i prefer to see what i'm buying on a big screen and often using a mobile device, there is a time lag between bidding on the device and ebay registering the bid.

Heard something on the news the other day a lot of younger people are suffering poor eyesight and they seem to think it's because of hand-held devices. When i was growing up i noticed many older people who wore glasses had small TVs, those that had larger TVs didn't wear glasses so much.
In my young mind, i equated small TVs as causing more eye strain so the same could apply to hand-held devices Vs proper PCs with big monitors. I know i tend to squint more using the laptop and even more using my phone than when using my PC so maybe there's something in it after all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 13:28   #266
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Along similar lines to keeping an eye on 240 prices, purely out of interst i've been keeping an eye on Lexus LS400 prices. Going back a year or two, anything pre-2000 could be picked up fairly cheaply, depending on age/condition/spec. This is one i've been watching and based on previous prices from a year or two back, i expected it to be sub-£1k end price :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400/164689327605

It seems there is a general upturn in prices for pre-2000 cars and with older cars, this seems sharper than with those closer to 2000 registration.

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 14:48   #267
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Interesting! It's a Hampshire reg as well so is a local car. I'd certainly agree with your guess but maybe a bit more than £2500, maybe nearer £3k in the end. Would be surprised if it doesn't even get near to £2.5k though.
That car sold for £2,600 Dave, which I thought was a healthy price for that car.

Alan
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 15:41   #268
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That car sold for £2,600 Dave, which I thought was a healthy price for that car.

Alan
A little above the £2.5k then, not bad at all but a fair price i think Alan. Maybe we'll see a new member on here soon!

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 04:46   #269
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Along similar lines to keeping an eye on 240 prices, purely out of interst i've been keeping an eye on Lexus LS400 prices. Going back a year or two, anything pre-2000 could be picked up fairly cheaply, depending on age/condition/spec. This is one i've been watching and based on previous prices from a year or two back, i expected it to be sub-£1k end price :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400/164689327605

It seems there is a general upturn in prices for pre-2000 cars and with older cars, this seems sharper than with those closer to 2000 registration.
I know nothing of the Lexus LS400 Dave, but i just looked on eBay and found this one, which seems to have a LPG conversion:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254864166219

What do you think of it? I’d never considered a Lexus, but then...

Alan
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 09:26   #270
Dippydog
Premier Member

Apart from pre 2000 cars being perceived as less complicated perhaps the hike in VED rate[from about 2001?] has an effect on car prices also?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: