Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spring Clamp and Assisters...?

Views : 1577

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 21:36   #1
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Default Spring Clamp and Assisters...?

Hi, I read about these Spring Assister's used for when towing to keep the car in balance, and also saw Spring Clamps, that can be used to lower the car.
My question is:
If I was to have a set of Spring Assisters(Raising) on the back, and Spring Clamps on the front(Lowering) of my 440 ES, would it make the front tyres rub against the inner arch when on full lock, and is there quite a high risk of bumper scrubbage on low ground, considering it probably wouldn't be too much of a drop?

Clamp(eBay)
Assiter(eBay)
Many thanks,
Tom.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 09:31   #2
alexx

those clamps are dodgy mate id stay well clear
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexx For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 17:49   #3
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Thanks Alexx.

I just want to do something to my car, mod it, or change something on it without making it look like I'm a 17 year old boy racer!
I did think of tints, but that would look a bit too gangster, although, would look good at the same time.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 19:56   #4
alexx

well if you want it to handle better and something to do then get 40mm lowering springs all around, i dont think a lowered car looks chavvy unless you start doing things that actually look offensive to it, oem all the way, what about some 17" volvo alloys off the bay and 40mm lowering springs

tinting windows is ok if its done properly and not fully blacked out, im sure theres lots of tweaks you can do!
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 20:21   #5
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Thanks.
I did like the idead of lowering, and it wouldn't cost the world either, only thing is, I might be a bit weary of the speed bumps around here.
And I'm not a fan of big wheels and small tyres, the ones iv got at the moment are fine(Standard 185/55/15) look perfect, only thing I would like, that is a BIG taste preference, is a bit of tyre stretch, IE 195tyres on a 205 rim.

Thanks,
Tom.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 00:16   #6
alexx

what about going to 16s and 50, thats what ive got at the mo it isnt a small profile but it will fill the arch better and you could probobly find some olov wheels you can refurb over xmas maybe and it might be quite good fun, springs are cheap and only take a day to fit but remember to do your camber and alignment after its done so you dont start wearing out your tyres too fast

40mm isnt much to be lowered id do it if you fancy it, i had -120mm on my polo and that still got over speed bumps! im just debating at the mo if im going to go -40 on my s40 as a spring at the backs just snapt!

- another thing you can get cheap is full leather interior off ebay if you havnt got one already
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 17:19   #7
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Thanks again Alexx...
But, I really like the Wheel?tyre combination I currently have, only thing I would like, is wider wheels, so I can have the same tyres on, but stretched!

And, as for tints, I'd get them done by someone who can sticker a transfer on better than I can(I'm not good at anything like that!)
And, suspension change...
40mm doesn't sound/look like much for the money, but I wouldn't dare go too much more really, as I also like ALL of the tyre below the arch(Another conversation here, I do NOT like it when someone's tyre is under their arch, unless it's a big amount, like a 1/4 of the wheel!).
I did think about an Exhaust also, but could sound a bit chavvy, and may reduce back pressure(increase performance and MPG) but, would sound nice, I'd boot it more!

Thanks again,
Tom.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 18:05   #8
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Just had a VERY quick edit with Paint, to see what my car would look like with rear tints(They're a bit blue, but it doesn't look too bad)

But I would also like slightly tinted on the fronts too, I know the laws on it, so can't go wrong.
Thanks,
Tom.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 18:08   #9
440anator
rookie

Smile

hey there if your thinkin about lowerin your car try this http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=4119

thers also other stuff ther if you like, and for tints? well i hav 5% right round on mine doesnt look chavy, it looks gangster lol it does look good tho i will try an get pics up of mine so you can see for urself

oh an yes for the exhaust ( in my opinion lol) wen your drivin thru town an u give it a bit of wellie people look an wonder wat car it is till u go past them (good times lol)

perhaps fitting a mesh grill is an idea? oh an new bulbs, the slightly blue ones look the buisness

good luck
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 20:45   #10
oldyoungman
Young, but truely old.

Thanks 440anator...

Those springs look well priced!
And, I like the Gangster tint idea!
Iv ordered Xenons, and want some LED tail/brake lights, if they're any good?
Mesh grill...Urm, I'm not sure really, like where the Volvo grill is? If so, NO!
I was thinking about the new style Volvo logo wheel badges.
And, back onto the exhaust again, I had a cherry bomber(Or very similar) on my old Renault 5, sounded really good, people hear it, look around, and there's a Pikey-Mobile there!
Thanks again,
Tom.

Tags
assister, clamp, coil, spring, suspension