Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking noise front right suspension

Views : 6048

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2014, 19:05   #1
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Default Knocking noise front right suspension

A single knock usually occurs when braking, and sometimes a pretty big knock/crack happens when steering at low speed. A knock can also happen over sizeable bumps.

Top mount bearing for steering knock? What else should I be looking at?

On a side note, I get a silly amount of wheel "hop" at one of the front wheels when turning a tight radius at low speeds. Probably due to a variety of things. Just wondering if anyone else experiences this? It's a bit unpleasant, kinda like having a welded diff!
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 19:17   #2
Kevs Estate

I think i would be looking towards the bottom ball joints. Jack the car up and check for play using a pry bar.
Kevs Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevs Estate For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 08:45   #3
Alasdair1
Master Member

I agree with bottom ball joints but also have a look at the track rod ends and also check the suspension bushes.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alasdair1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2014, 21:10   #4
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Changed bottom ball joints, no improvement.
Changed drop links and anti-roll bar bushes (needed to be done anyway), but still getting the knocking noises.

It does kinda sound like it's coming from the top mounts, but I'm not sure how a top mount can create such a noise. Any thoughts?
Old May 4th, 2014, 22:42   #5
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Not sure if the top mounts would make the noise you have unless they were completely shot. Mine used to knock a bit over small bumps and thats was down to the original rubber compressing slightly allowing some free play. I have found a way to take up the movemement but it's only OK to do this if the bushes haven't already split at all.

From what you say about the tyre scrubbing I would suggest looking at the drag strut bushes, espicially the bigger ones at the lower arm end.
Another possibility is that the shock absorber is worn.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2014, 23:02   #6
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Cheers Steve.

Sorry, it's probably obvious, but which ones are the drag strut bushes? Honestly hadn't heard of that term until now.
And when you say the bigger ones, are they the most rearwards ones?

Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:00   #7
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Sorry should have explained better. The lower suspension arms (as I call them) run across from the center of the car to the bottom of the suspension strut. The drag strut (as I call it ) attaches to the lower suspension arm and points back towards the gearbox.

The bushes I was on about as where the two arms meet. Genuine ones will now be old and if they have been replaced with aftermarket ones they might be old and a bit soft now. The bushes on the other end of the drag strut can get old but don't seem to suffer as much.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2014, 15:51   #8
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

Had a good root around. All seems to be in order, so I think you were right to mention the shocks Steve. According to google, billies are well known for their knocking! Not sure whether to try and fix the Bilsteins or move on to something else.

I guess there's still a possibility that there's something weird going on with the top mount.
Might have to ask a garage to confirm my suspicions.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 15:48   #9
827Roverman
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete940 View Post
Had a good root around. All seems to be in order, so I think you were right to mention the shocks Steve. According to google, billies are well known for their knocking! Not sure whether to try and fix the Bilsteins or move on to something else.

I guess there's still a possibility that there's something weird going on with the top mount.
Might have to ask a garage to confirm my suspicions.
I have the very same problem on my 940, sometimes what seems like a knock, sometimes as though the R/H front wheel skips, I've had this a while now, but its not constant, it completely goes away then a few weeks later its back again, it mainly happens when reversing off the drive and put full L/H lock on, if it was bushes or ball joints I would have thought my local Volvo garage would have picked something up on its MOT a couple of month ago, please let me know what you come up with, Regards David.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 17:01   #10
Alasdair1
Master Member

I had a problem years ago with an old van I had. It clonked when turning full lock and it was the bearing in the top mount that had failed. It also on a random basis didn't return to straight ahead when turning full right.
The front wheel skipping may be related to the front suspension bushes. Mine did the same and also wore unevenly. It past the MOT but I reckon it was the rust that was holding them in place. When I removed them the large ones that attach to the chassis had separated from the steel core. As said it was the rust that made them seem solid. My MOT centre has a vibrating unit on their ramp that moves the car from side to side to check play but they didn't pick the worn bushes up.
Theres also bushes I think called top hat that were really bad on mine as well. I did the lot and it made a huge difference to handling etc.
If your doing them yourself you may have to take the arms into your local garage to have them pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I managed with a hydraulic puller set and a big vice but it was some job.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote