Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manually adjusted Driver's Seat Swap To Electric.

Views : 3034

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 15:29   #1
AustinM64

Default Manually adjusted Driver's Seat Swap To Electric.

Hi There,

I have a September 2002 S60 D5 which has a manually adjusted driver's seat. Does anyone know if the wiring loom under the seat already has the required connections to fit the electric seat?

Does anyone know if an electrically adjusted driver's seat was an option on the S60 in 2002?

Cheers

Austin
AustinM64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 10:13   #2
Technician

Hi,

I think the answer is yes and yes. Electric seats have been on offer since the 80's so it's not an issue with Volvo being behind the curve. On pre facelift cars there are several.conectors under the seat and you should see wires coming from the carpet and going into a connection on a rail at the front base of the seat. From that you will see nothing the other side going into the seat itself, there being your spare power seat and heated seat connections.

You will need a pre-facelift seat, fuses for the dashboard side fuse box and obviously remember to disconnect battery before swapping as you will be disconnecting the airbag connector.

Also the electric seat weighs as much as the moon after a big dinner. It's also easy to scratch the paint on the sill so cover with a thick rag. 2 people makes it a bit easier, but the doors down get in your way a bit with 2 people trying to grapple the seat.

Good luck.
Steve
Technician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 12:03   #3
AustinM64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician View Post
Hi,

I think the answer is yes and yes. Electric seats have been on offer since the 80's so it's not an issue with Volvo being behind the curve. On pre facelift cars there are several.conectors under the seat and you should see wires coming from the carpet and going into a connection on a rail at the front base of the seat. From that you will see nothing the other side going into the seat itself, there being your spare power seat and heated seat connections.

You will need a pre-facelift seat, fuses for the dashboard side fuse box and obviously remember to disconnect battery before swapping as you will be disconnecting the airbag connector.

Also the electric seat weighs as much as the moon after a big dinner. It's also easy to scratch the paint on the sill so cover with a thick rag. 2 people makes it a bit easier, but the doors down get in your way a bit with 2 people trying to grapple the seat.

Good luck.
Steve
Steve,

I've only just seen this; genius, thanks!

Yesterday, I put the electrically adjusted front driver's seat in.

When I took out the manually adjusted seat there were two male plugs that were fitted into blank female plugs (plus the usual wiring). When I put in the electrically adjusted seat the female plugs were not blank and went to a relay box under/attached to the seat.

You can imagine my joy finding that the wiring appeared to already be there but this quickly turned to gloom when the seat didn't work and the SRS Airbag Light is now on (I didn't have your advice about disconnecting the battery). Is there a way to reset this?

I haven't installed any fuses but the relay box is clicking when any of the adjustment switches are operated, so the power is there but there appears to be a different issue/problem.

Any idea where I need to start looking would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Austin

Last edited by AustinM64; Feb 24th, 2020 at 12:19.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 14:49   #4
dave c59

You probably need to fit the 25a fuse to position 1 in the fusebox at the end of the dashboard, this is for the actual motors in the seat (position 2 is for the passenger seat). Actually I'd fit both fuses as the wiring diagrams are for LHD cars - could be swapped about?
SRS light is VIDA or good code reader only.

Good luck.
dave c59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 20:57   #5
LankyTim
Missing the point

I've done this on a 2002 V70 and it wouldn't work correctly. The wiring is all present but the seat has it's own ECU which the car needs programming to recognise. The seat adjustments will work for around 20 seconds after opening the door after which all movement ceases. After locking the car up and unlocking again you'll get another 20 seconds. It was really annoying to find this out!
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 22:39   #6
Joe Harding
Premier Member

I’ve done this conversion and it worked a treat. The only bit of gadgetry that didn’t work was the ‘memory’ function in the key fob, but who cares. Lovely leather seats and electrical operation.
Yes, you should have disconnected the battery, not only for the SRS but the danger of deploying the air bags.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 15:39   #7
AustinM64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LankyTim View Post
I've done this on a 2002 V70 and it wouldn't work correctly. The wiring is all present but the seat has it's own ECU which the car needs programming to recognise. The seat adjustments will work for around 20 seconds after opening the door after which all movement ceases. After locking the car up and unlocking again you'll get another 20 seconds. It was really annoying to find this out!
Okay, here is a post of mine for another thread where someone has mentioned the same problem of the seat moving but only for a short period of time. So for me, it was the same; fuses in and the seat works but the same issue arises. Open the door and the seat can be adjusted but after a while - I haven't timed it yet - it stops being adjustable. Not really a problem as my seat is adjusted before I drive, but interesting.

Can this matter be resolved?

Cheers

Austin
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinM64 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 22:43   #8
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinM64 View Post
Okay, here is a post of mine for another thread where someone has mentioned the same problem of the seat moving but only for a short period of time. So for me, it was the same; fuses in and the seat works but the same issue arises. Open the door and the seat can be adjusted but after a while - I haven't timed it yet - it stops being adjustable. Not really a problem as my seat is adjusted before I drive, but interesting.

Can this matter be resolved?

Cheers

Austin
I think there's an ECU in the seat which the car needs to be programmed to accept, I think this can only be done by the dealer.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 18:30   #9
BlueRubber
VOC Member

RE your SRS warning, I am pretty sure you can reset this with VIDA.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 11:51   #10
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post
RE your SRS warning, I am pretty sure you can reset this with VIDA.
Yes you are right. An Autell 309 (maxiscan) unit or a copy of it will also turn off the airbag warning light.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric driver's seat, s60 2002, wiring loom