Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Losing Coolant - head gasket ?

Views : 547

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 20:14   #1
powen1

Post Losing Coolant - head gasket ?

hi All advice please, :-). Volvo p1800E

I seem to be losing coolant, you can see from expansion bottle (About 12-15mm drop each time I run the car)
Checked around no leaks anywhere,
oil filler cap does have water droplets in the cap and on the tappets, Im not sure if this is because the car only gets stared, lately every fortnight so does not burn off condensation or is part of the issue,
Oil on dip stick is nice and clean ( no water signs )and has not dropped from same level a year ago,
Could this be a head gasket issue with the water channels in head being burned through exhaust so wouldn't just disappear out the back ? !
Car did have Head gasket done in 2017

Any advice please
Thanks
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 21:40   #2
arcturus
arcturus

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMBUSTIO....c100005.m1851

Try something like this or idealy if you have access to a compressor a pressure tester

Last edited by arcturus; Feb 25th, 2020 at 22:02.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arcturus For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 12:55   #3
powen1

Just ran the car with the expansion bottle top open and I am getting bubbles coming from engine ! :-( looks like the gasket has gone
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 10:03   #4
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

There's another current thread about overheating in which there are instructions on how to expel all the air from the cooling system on these cars. You can improve that further by raising the front of the car very high in the air.

That aside, you know not to fill the expansion tank to 'Max'? If you do, it will just expel coolant when hot. You fill it to exactly half way between max and min.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 14:28   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

powen;

" bubbles coming from engine " is a result of a hot-spot where Coolant is actually boiling...this suggests system may not be pressurized or not burped of all air...I'd check pressure when hot, which might involve some creative plumbing...operating pressure is set by and regulated by Pressure Cap on Ext Tank.

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Cooling_System...r_pressure_cap

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 19:53   #6
powen1

Thanks All for your comments the bubbling in the expansion tank occurs when just starting the car from cold ! so not hot or over heating - I took this to be an issue with the head gasket and exhaust gas getting into the water system or vice versa and the car then burning the water out the back ? hence no view of where the water is going, as I said I do have antifreeze that can be seen in the rocker cover, its only just started and ran fine before this issue so would not think it would be bleeding. interesting points you have made though and more knowledge thanks :-)